MRP / Trib. MRP and Tribunal - 2024 - Rd 5 - Charlie Cameron 1 week?

Remove this Banner Ad

As a port fan... yeah Crouch should've probably gotton off as well. Both him and butters had their eyes on the ball so neither of them should've faced suspension.

I reckon they frowned more at Crouch's hit because it resulted in a delay of game and also conceded a free kick.

People think this game going no contact in 20 years is an alarmist take but Crouch getting a week proves it. Literally did everything right, Carlton player doesn’t protect himself and gets hurt. Was Crouch just meant to squib it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the Butters one was worse than the Crouch one with the speed that Butters came in he had less chance of winning the ball and more chance of causing injury

Last edited:
Can someone explain the difference between the Crouch & the Butters one?
It’s either both or none for me.
And either way I’m OK. Just need consistency.
Butters a potential high-Brownlow vote getter - needs to stay eligible.

Probably Butters getting hands on the ball at the same time it’s what has saved him

Butters went the ball first where as Crouch braced the shoulder for impact first and then ball.

Fraction of a second difference at speed but think that’s the only difference.

Both very lucky it could have been 4+ for each if the outcome was different.

Butters only saved by the fact he actually got his hands on the ball before he made impact. Split seconds.

Butters got to the ball first, went to grab it and his bum clipped Banfields chin.

Crouch was second to the ball, turned his hip to brace for contact and collected the Carlton player front on in the head with his shoulder whilst collecting it.

That was the reason explained in citing.

Very little difference and definitely no consistency. I know Wright concussed the player, so fair enough penalty, but these two actions are much, much more dangerous. If someone does get hurt in a situation like these two, it could be catastrophic. Maybe then the AFL will make a stand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back