Mundine/Green exchange on facebook

Remove this Banner Ad

TheCryingGame

Debutant
Apr 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Bit of a slow news day these two intellectual featherweights are at it again...

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/28288470/green-mundine-trade-blows-on-facebook/

Danny Green and Anthony Mundine may not have thrown punches at each other in nine years but a number of social media blows have been exchanged this weekend.

With rumours of a potential rematch to their May 2006 clash in Sydney heightening in the past few month, Mundine's manager Ben Thompson admitted last week that a second fight with Perth boxer Green was "an option".

That brought a response from Green, who told The Weekend Westthat a money-spinning sequel would be good for boxing in Australia.

Mundine, who is currently in Perth, then waded into the matter personally, posting on his Facebook site: Tell all the Danny green fans there is no reason for me to fight him again as I whipped him like he stole something from me lol green is desperate his fans are desperate!

I'm just focused on fighting the best fighters in the world ! God willing the rescheduled date with trout be sorted soon ! Ps they say green was weight drained when we fought haha yet he fought his hole career at super middleweight prior to us fighting at super middleweight ? You tell me ?
He got owned that night may 17 2006 now him & his fans gonna have to live with that the rest of his his life ! He ain't relevant to me. Matter a fact he ain't relevant period.

Unsurprisingly, Green quickly fired back.

He wrote: Hello chocco me old mate !! Welcome to Perth on this fine day. It's WA weekend this weekend and we are all relaxing so I trust you're wearing your thongs?
Quick q? - what is my 'hole' career?
Your little essay has reached 3002 likes so far. Now if I was a betting man, I would put ten bob on that this post of mine will most likely reach in excess of ten times that. You were mentioning irrelevance ??!! Why the post from you?

Please have some more respect for my supporters, as they are very loyal, loving, and hospitable. I love them .

Now, being such a cracking day, I'm off on a mates boat to catch a few fish. I'm a gentleman and I would most definitely invite you to snag a few with me, but you know the old fishing rule champion- 'no bananas on the boat!!!

Peace-safe travels
Your mate greeny

Now, am I missing something or is this last comment flagrantly racist? Nobody has pulled him up on it and I'm wondering if there's a explanation I'm not aware of?!

Racist to call Mundine a banana?
Nah not really.
Maybe if he'd called him a 'coconut' then he'd be in trouble but I think 'banana' more refers to him as an idiot, similar to calling someone a 'melon'...

Pretty sure, having bananas on the boat is considered bad luck. Why is everything racist?

Pretty sure, having bananas on the boat is considered bad luck. Why is everything racist?

It is, but what does that have to do with Mundine not being allowed on the boat? There was instance of European soccer fans throwing bananas on the pitch at black players - I don't need to point out why the association is racist - its the same as the Goodes "ape" comment or Andrew Symonds being called a monkey - unless of course there's something I'm missing

Green is pretty old school in his slang words. Wouldnt be much more than just a polite way in calling him a idiot.

I think Green's saying Mundine is a banana. So crazy I guess, as in something being bananas. Can't say I've heard someone calling anyone a banana though.

I certainly don't think this is what's meant, but you could read it as him saying Mundine can't come because there's no bananas to eat - which would certainly be racist.

Green is retired and Mundine fast running out of career options. But even allowing for the money to be made, a rematch is not even a possibility inside about a year.

Why? Because of the huge discrepancy between their respective weights.

Mundine has been campaigning at light middleweight, and barring his recent ear injury would have been fighting Austin Trout at the light middleweight limit of 154 pounds.

Green in retirement is probably walking around at the upper end of cruiserweight at the moment. When he last fought he chose to fight in the cruiserweight division because he could no longer make the 175 pound light heavyweight limit.

In a nutshell there is probably a minimum of 30 pounds difference between their current weights, and if they did meet, the minimum Green could probably make would be light heavyweight. Whereas Mundine would very likely not want to fight at anything greater than super middleweight.

So I see this has flared up again

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/28318961/mundine-playing-race-card-green/

Danny Green today accused Anthony Mundine of “playing the race card” after his bitter rival claimed the West Australian had racially abused him.

The old rivals have exchanged insults on social media over the past week as rumours of a rematch to their 2006 encounter bubble under the surface.

Mundine pointed the finger after Green said the Sydneysider would not be welcome to go fishing with him while in Perth at the weekend.

Green wrote: I'm off on a mates boat to catch a few fish.

I'm a gentleman and I would most definitely invite you to snag a few with me, but you know the old fishing rule champion - 'no bananas on the boat.

Mundine picked up on the “banana” reference, saying Green was calling him a monkey.

He wrote: Now I wasn't gonna post this but you gotta fight injustice! Australia is one racist place! Look at some of the comments! Now DG basically called me a monkey referring on his post I can't take bananas on his boat ...& I know the media outlets & most people could read between the lines ! I see the funny side to the racism!!! (Most don't) I ain't no monkey Danny ima silverback gorilla son ! The type of gorilla that whipped your ass remember.

Now Green has hit back, saying Mundine was deliberately taking the comment out of context.

Round two Choc!

Fact- a banana is a yellow piece of fruit.

Fact- taking bananas on boats is an old myth that is supposed to bring bad luck. Ask any fisherman out there with a boat! In no way whatsoever was there any racially motivated negative connotation implied in my post regarding bananas. It is YOU who has raised the 'racist' flag once again.

Green then accused Mundine of hypocrisy, saying he had called former opponent Rick Thornberry "a monkey" before their 2002 bout.

He also listed the works he has done with the Aboriginal community, before adding: Do not use me to get publicity playing the race card mate, it's tired and irrelevant here ... Wanna sort this out where actions speak TRUER than your words?

Unsurprisingly The West Australian has rallied around their golden boy.

As I said in my original post I think (on this) Mundine as a point - but nobody is willing to recognise it because he's been such an outspoken loony.

I've also found the various news outlets (mainly tabloids) angle, mainly by omission, in reporting it. There's been no commentary or opinion I'm aware that's held Green to account. Because in my opinion, his response does not at all address why he made the "bananas on the boat" comment - i.e. was he calling Mundine a banana or did it have racial overtures?

I'm sorry to say that Green has come off poorly in this exchange - he's supposedly chiding Mundine for being stupid highlighting his spelling errors, meanwhile making grammatical errors himself. He seemingly equates success with popularity, citing the "I'll get 10 times as many likes" as Mundine. Childish and vain.

Green has deflected the issue saying Mundine has "played the race card" and in the current milieu in the wake of the Adam Goodes war dance saga, this "playing the race card" accusation appeals to the masses indignation about being referred to as racist. Green acts as a mouthpiece for that indignation and as an added bonus satisfies his vapid need for more popular support. As I said, the public and the media want to back Green on this issue because he is considered an upstanding citizen and Mundine is an outspoken indigenous man of islamic faith (who has made a litany of subversive and admittedly poor comments in the past) that represents a lot of things majority of Australian do not like.

Having said all this, I think Green honestly just made a poor choice of words (and of course would never do anything publicly to tarnish the glowing reputation he has built for himself).

If Mundine had the reputation and status of Adam Goodes for example, Green's comments would have come under much more scrutiny - you can bet Goodes would have (rightfully) used his influence to draw the media into the debate. But because Mundine is such a discredited loner he's percieved as ridiculous for claiming Green to have made a racist comment.

Apologies for the length of this post, just thinking as a I type!

Last edited:
So I see this has flared up again

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/28318961/mundine-playing-race-card-green/

Danny Green today accused Anthony Mundine of “playing the race card” after his bitter rival claimed the West Australian had racially abused him.

The old rivals have exchanged insults on social media over the past week as rumours of a rematch to their 2006 encounter bubble under the surface.

Mundine pointed the finger after Green said the Sydneysider would not be welcome to go fishing with him while in Perth at the weekend.

Green wrote: I'm off on a mates boat to catch a few fish.

I'm a gentleman and I would most definitely invite you to snag a few with me, but you know the old fishing rule champion - 'no bananas on the boat.

Mundine picked up on the “banana” reference, saying Green was calling him a monkey.

He wrote: Now I wasn't gonna post this but you gotta fight injustice! Australia is one racist place! Look at some of the comments! Now DG basically called me a monkey referring on his post I can't take bananas on his boat ...& I know the media outlets & most people could read between the lines ! I see the funny side to the racism!!! (Most don't) I ain't no monkey Danny ima silverback gorilla son ! The type of gorilla that whipped your ass remember.

Now Green has hit back, saying Mundine was deliberately taking the comment out of context.

Round two Choc!

Fact- a banana is a yellow piece of fruit.

Fact- taking bananas on boats is an old myth that is supposed to bring bad luck. Ask any fisherman out there with a boat! In no way whatsoever was there any racially motivated negative connotation implied in my post regarding bananas. It is YOU who has raised the 'racist' flag once again.

Green then accused Mundine of hypocrisy, saying he had called former opponent Rick Thornberry "a monkey" before their 2002 bout.

He also listed the works he has done with the Aboriginal community, before adding: Do not use me to get publicity playing the race card mate, it's tired and irrelevant here ... Wanna sort this out where actions speak TRUER than your words?

Unsurprisingly The West Australian has rallied around their golden boy.

As I said in my original post I think (on this) Mundine as a point - but nobody is willing to recognise it because he's been such an outspoken loony.

I've also found the various news outlets (mainly tabloids) angle, mainly by omission, in reporting it. There's been no commentary or opinion I'm aware that's held Green to account. Because in my opinion, his response does not at all address why he made the "bananas on the boat" comment - i.e. was he calling Mundine a banana or did it have racial overtures?

I'm sorry to say that Green has come off poorly in this exchange - he's supposedly chiding Mundine for being stupid highlighting his spelling errors, meanwhile making grammatical errors himself. He seemingly equates success with popularity, citing the "I'll get 10 times as many likes" as Mundine. Childish and vain.

Green has deflected the issue saying Mundine has "played the race card" and in the current milieu in the wake of the Adam Goodes war dance saga, this "playing the race card" accusation appeals to the masses indignation about being referred to as racist. Green acts as a mouthpiece for that indignation and as an added bonus satisfies his vapid need for more popular support. As I said, the public and the media want to back Green on this issue because he is considered an upstanding citizen and Mundine is an outspoken indigenous man of islamic faith (who has made a litany of subversive and admittedly poor comments in the past) that represents a lot of things majority of Australian do not like.

Having said all this, I think Green honestly just made a poor choice of words (and of course would never do anything publicly to tarnish the glowing reputation he has built for himself).

If Mundine had the reputation and status of Adam Goodes for example, Green's comments would have come under much more scrutiny - you can bet Goodes would have (rightfully) used his influence to draw the media into the debate. But because Mundine is such a discredited loner he's percieved as ridiculous for claiming Green to have made a racist comment.

Apologies for the length of this post, just thinking as a I type!

Good post but for the most I disagree. Green is a well respect individual within the community. He works within the community and uses his status to drive attention to problems within the State ie, Obesity, The 1 punch, Glassing. Now we can take this on fave value....

Lets just run through some of things Mundine has done... Made comments about America and more importantly on how America deserved what happened on 9/11. This is after turning to Islam :confused:
Called out Geale and I quote Mundine "I thought they wiped all the Aborigines from Tasmania out," "He's got a white woman, he's got white kids. I keep it real, all day every day."
"The Man" Has even talked upon Cathy Freeman and how women cant take the lead. He said That its a man's job"

Now Mundines actions arent all racist, Thats not the point of the post. The bloke talks upon things that he knows 0% on. He acts like the kid in the schoolyard who is the last in line from Chinese Whispers....Then at the end, Pumps his chest because he thinks he knows what the others dont.
I just dont buy into the racist shot here...Not with this one anyway. My honest opinion is that Mundine tried to bring attention to himself for whatever reason and it has backfired in his face. It has kinda worked though...Here I am posting about him :)

Good post but for the most I disagree. Green is a well respect individual within the community. He works within the community and uses his status to drive attention to problems within the State ie, Obesity, The 1 punch, Glassing. Now we can take this on fave value....

Lets just run through some of things Mundine has done... Made comments about America and more importantly on how America deserved what happened on 9/11. This is after turning to Islam :confused:
Called out Geale and I quote Mundine "I thought they wiped all the Aborigines from Tasmania out," "He's got a white woman, he's got white kids. I keep it real, all day every day."
"The Man" Has even talked upon Cathy Freeman and how women cant take the lead. He said That its a man's job"

Now Mundines actions arent all racist, Thats not the point of the post. The bloke talks upon things that he knows 0% on. He acts like the kid in the schoolyard who is the last in line from Chinese Whispers....Then at the end, Pumps his chest because he thinks he knows what the others dont.
I just dont buy into the racist shot here...Not with this one anyway. My honest opinion is that Mundine tried to bring attention to himself for whatever reason and it has backfired in his face. It has kinda worked though...Here I am posting about him :)
Wasn't he also taunting Green's wife from the ring with his tongue during their fight..? What a guy...

Danny Green is my Super Fight

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...and-josh-jackson/story-fnp0lyn2-1227404717378

ANTHONY Mundine has been telling those in his inner-circle a possible rematch against arch rival Danny Green is his “super” fight — as in superannuation fund.

The two boxers, who share a mutual hatred, have been trading insults on social media for the last month as talk continues the pair will glove-up and get it on again, most likely at some point next year.

At 42, Green is still as fighting fit as ever. Contacted by Sport Confidential about Mundine’s “super” remarks, the cruiserweight world champion was only too happy to land one straight back on the button of his nemesis.

“Given he likes to tell everyone about how he’s Superman then I’m not surprised that he needs a super fund. That makes perfect sense. Tell him from me he might also want to take out some hospital cover.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone should of stepped in 5 years ago and made this happen. Too late now

Danny Green could be preparing for a return to the ring

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/b...turn-to-the-ring/story-fni2urrv-1227407833783

At 42, former world champion boxer Danny Green appears to be preparing to make a comeback in Melbourne almost three years after his last fight. Persistent rumours he and long-time foe Anthony Mundine will tackle each other for a second time have surfaced again.

Perth-based Green, who has never announced his retirement, refused to confirm the comeback on Saturday, saying only that it was “a possibility” and that a lot of people were asking him about it.

Mundine, 40, laughed off the latest suggestions on Facebook, but with his own career seemingly stalled, the prospect of a big payday might change that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back