N.T.F.L v's S.F.L 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Sunday, 29 June 2008
North runs away with victory
By TERRY MORRIS

SEVEN unanswered goals in a 15-minute burst of champagne play put the Northern Tasmanian Football League back on top as the best football competition in the State yesterday.
The NTFL cast aside the Southern Premier League when it broke the shackles midway through the third quarter at the Devonport Oval.
Until then the two Leagues had traded goals with scores level at both quarter-time and half-time.
Victorious NTFL coach Dale Perry said: "I sensed towards the end of the second quarter after we had reeled in the SFL's 13-point lead that the momentum was starting to change."
"Full credit to the SFL as they outplayed us in the early parts of both the opening quarter and the second quarter and I thought we were only operating at about 40 per cent.
"But we opened the game in the third term and when we started running forward of the ball the scoring opportunities came our way,".
The SFL took the early ascendancy in the third term with a snapped goal from Alex Hevey but it then gave the green light for the NTFL to move into top gear.
The Northern team hit the front for the first time after a goal from Matthew Smith and then with co- captain Justin Plapp and Adam Derbyshire combining well they blew the game away with their unselfish team-work.
Twice Plapp could have kicked for goal but instead chipped it over to Derbyshire and the big Launceston forward reciprocated by presenting himself in front and bringing others into the game.
With a parochial crowd of 1520 right behind the NTFL, the players in maroon and gold started to play a level of football that was expected of them and went into the final break with a 35-point break.
Then when the rain came at the start of the last quarter it was virtually over as a contest.
The NTFL dominated the second half restricting the SFL to just 2.4 after the long break but nothing should be taken away from the Southern team.
The SFL had come to Devonport undermanned with several key players sidelined with injury but in the first half was the more committed and direct team.
SFL coach Darren Winter said: "We gave our best but the NTFL sagged us in the end."
The NTFL ran us ragged in the second half of the second quarter and into the third quarter and we probably missed that genuine second run of midfielders," he said.
Clarence centreman James Baker won the medal for the SFL's best player and captain Cam De Gooyer played a strong game in defence.
Half-forward Chris Glenn was damaging, particularly in the first half when he kicked three goals, and Michael Cassidy and Tim Plummer were others who were prominent.
As expected the NTFL's two- pronged forward attack of Derbyshire and Plapp caused problems for the Southern defence and Perry also praised the efforts of Kynan Ford who kicked a valuable goal in the second quarter.
The most promising aspect was the performance of some of the younger players such as Nick McKenna, Nick Buller and Kurt McCabe who showed they are more than capable of taking a step to a higher level.
McKenna and McCabe were responsible for some courageous acts in smothering the ball and standing in front of the packs and Buller provided the spark towards the end of the second quarter which helped move the NTFL up a gear.
It ended a big month for Buller who was one of the best players against Western Australia on June 1 and in between he has been an outstanding player for South Launceston.
"Whatever the landscape of football next year I hope representative games like this continue," Perry said.
http://northerntasmania.yourguide.com.au/news/sport/sports/north-runs-away-with-victory/1250874.html

There must have been a lot of blokes pull out of this side, because it is absolutely woeful. To think the standard of the regional league has improved so much over the last few years, and this is the best side they can get to represent them... Sad really...

Absolutely woeful they were not! proved that if u have players that actually want to play u will get the better results. only lost by 25pts and last years was 58pts. Sad really isnt it Jelly Man
Good to see the central hawk boys went good, thought A Branch was unlucky to not get in the best.

Absolutely woeful they were not! proved that if u have players that actually want to play u will get the better results. only lost by 25pts and last years was 58pts. Sad really isnt it Jelly Man
Good to see the central hawk boys went good, thought A Branch was unlucky to not get in the best.

They still lost! You can't say it was a better result if the end result is a loss!

They still lost! You can't say it was a better result if the end result is a loss!

Lost yes. point was it wasnt a woeful side as jelly man seems to think!
They went up there with a team that wanted to play. So dont run the team down, when they were the boys proud to play for the rep team!

2010- Mav Wellar- this kid can really play, im sure all the northern people will agree, very quick great hands and amazing kick. Reminds me of a Brett Delido actually. he would have made the NTFL easily but i think is playing the state team in a earlier game? (how did they go?)

Mav is a good young player. Quick, strong, good kick, and a good head on his shoulders for his age. Holding his spot in a strong Burnie team, and has been given tagging roles this year. If he can maintain his level of improvement and show consistency at senior level, he will be a good chance to be drafted. Just needs to stay humble, not get a big head and not turn into the stereotypical "arrogant local footballer". That's the only thing that could hold him back. He's getting good coaching and development, but if he starts to think he's made it, he'll miss out. Burnie hasn't got a great recent record of producing players who have gone on to make a real career at AFL level. Don't know if it's because they start to get ahead of themselves, or if they just haven't been the right fit for the AFL.

Anyway, Maverick can play. And I reckon he's got the right attitude and guidance to make it.

AANNNNDD

How good was it to beat the South? Bloody good!

Jelly's point was Hawk Lady it was far, FAR short of being as good a side as it could have been. Last night I jotted down some names of good players who didn't play for whatever reason, be it injury or unavailability ....

Lindisfarne - Rainbird, Tubb, Quirk, Bracken, Rattenbury plus any number of others. You're not 12-0 after 12 if you don't have a good team.

Dodges Ferry - I.Bennett, McLeod.

Claremont - B.Atkin, B.Webster, S.Webster, A.Bennett, Mason, Martin even Dean King would've more than held his own in the backline. Is having a great year.

Huonville - Joyce, Doyle, Lorkin if he'd played over the last few months would've had to come under consideration.

Sorell - How Standen wasn't in the Squad to start with is a joke, Thurlow seemingly gets a mention almost every week and Glendon Bentley would've been up to that standard as well for sure.

Kermandie - Nash, Pepper, Savage, Jones.

Cygnet - Lamprill, Grant Clark would walk into the team if fit.

Probably heaps more that I simply just overlooked.

Combined with some of the players that did play would make a most competitive side!

Menza - You being more closely involved than I, which players would you suggest that I missed?

Well done to those who did put their hands up and committed to the side. Certainly did themselves and their clubs proud.

Wickham could have had a monster day by the look of it - 6.8!

One thing that made me wonder last night - why was a game between esentially a Hobart comp and a Launceston comp played in Devonport?!

By virtue of the fact last year was at York Park are the next two years' worth of Rep Games both going to be held at either North Hobart (My preferred venue) or Bellerive?

Jelly's point was Hawk Lady it was far, FAR short of being as good a side as it could have been. Last night I jotted down some names of good players who didn't play for whatever reason, be it injury or unavailability ....

Lindisfarne - Rainbird, Tubb, Quirk, Bracken, Rattenbury plus any number of others. You're not 12-0 after 12 if you don't have a good team.

Claremont - B.Atkin, B.Webster, S.Webster, A.Bennett, Mason, Martin even Dean King would've more than held his own in the backline. Is having a great year.

Huonville - Joyce, Doyle, Lorkin if he'd played over the last few months would've had to come under consideration.

Sorell - How Standen wasn't in the Squad to start with is a joke, Thurlow seemingly gets a mention almost every week and Glendon Bentley would've been up to that standard as well for sure.

Combined with some of the players that did play would make a most competitive side!

Menza - You being more closely involved than I, which players would you suggest that I missed?

Well done to those who did put their hands up and committed to the side. Certainly did themselves and their clubs proud.

One thing that made me wonder last night - why was a game between esentially a Hobart comp and a Launceston comp played in Devonport?!

By virtue of the fact last year was at York Park are the next two years' worth of Rep Games both going to be held at either North Hobart (My preferred venue) or Bellerive?

Thing with Wickham is that he oddly played on too often and IMO should have had 9. Three times he suffered a dose of arrogance and played on from close out when he should have gone back and kicked it through.

And actually, if the SFL Regional fielded a third tier side and were that competitive, they would have won comfortably with their A1 side on the park. Certainly the side that took to the park yesterday impressed with their intensity, especially the 1st half.

Was played at Devonport as a certain raiser, akin to last year at Aurora, because "the North West Coast have been starved of football". Logic would suggest that North Hobart needs to be the venue for 2009.

Thats the point I was trying to make big fella. I don't doubt that the players chosen would have made the association proud with their enthusiasm and effort, but the fact is that the side could have been a lot better if big name players decided to commit to the cause. Maybe if it is in the south next year, they can muster a full strength side and show the northerners that it is a quailty competition.

Well done to the SFL for staying as long as they did with the NTFL. On paper the ntfl side should have won by 100 points. They'd cetainly beat the Devils imo.

Well done to the SFL for staying as long as they did with the NTFL. On paper the ntfl side should have won by 100 points. They'd cetainly beat the Devils imo.

The North certainly had a stack of blokes who've played at VFL-level or higher. If those players were down South, how many of them would be given a shot with the Devils? Derbyshire, Finch, Ford, Plapp, Heazlewood, Ling, Smith, Green, O'Keefe, Wells, McKenna, Brown, Munday... the way Brad Davis was playing on Saturday he could have taught a young AFL-listed ruckman a thing or two. The South's rucks were barely even in the contest.

And that's just the guys who made the team. Whish-Wilson, Gale, and McDonald would be other chances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The North certainly had a stack of blokes who've played at VFL-level or higher. If those players were down South, how many of them would be given a shot with the Devils? Derbyshire, Finch, Ford, Plapp, Heazlewood, Ling, Smith, Green, O'Keefe, Wells, McKenna, Brown, Munday... the way Brad Davis was playing on Saturday he could have taught a young AFL-listed ruckman a thing or two. The South's rucks were barely even in the contest.

And that's just the guys who made the team. Whish-Wilson, Gale, and McDonald would be other chances.

i would have to agree. unfortunately due to having to live in hobart to play for the devils it has made their list a little weaker.

Milbourne has been kicking a bag of goals in a side that can't play!!!! I doubt if many players could do what he has achieved this year. He is the only player the opposition targets, and they still can't shut him down!!!!

Brown is a multiple senior premiership coach and last year he got Uverstone within 15 points of a far superior side in Launnie.....enough said!

His record speaks for itself!!!

Our ex magpie premiership coach in David Newitt rates Brown the best coach in Tasmania, he played under him at Ulverstone and said he was the best in the business at getting sides playing at their optium level

Multy premiership coach when there was nothing to beat. Newitt won a flag so does that make him the voice of football. Been involved with 5 big ones and Brown has a country record. The big boys came in and it was bye bye Max

MarkyMark settle down. The players above you have mentioned have always done "OK" at VFL level.

It's a big step again from a NTFL rep side.

If Cat Geappon and Ken Hall had of played there's no way the 3rd qtr over run would have happened.

Having said that the NTFL were worthy winners and footy was the winner.

Um, what higher level have Sam O'Keefe, Beau Green and Kade Munday played at?? All good footballers sure, but the only high level I can think of is NTFL club level...:confused:

National Anthem

First QTR of the NTFL v SFL can be seen here http://dufftv.com.au/?p=168

My god I was just watching back the pre game stuff from the rep game.

The playing of pre recorded National Anthems need to be out lawed!

Who the hell had their hands on the Rosny Children's Choir version of Advance Australia Fair?

Looked like Gregg Sharman was nearly cracking up and even the umps had a giggle.

By the way all SFL Regional and Premier players will be receiving their complementary game DVD (paid for by the SFL) over the weekend or next week.

Unfortunately the NTFL and NTFA didn't take DUff TV up on its $330 for 30 DVD's offer. To those players from those comps I am sorry that this is the case but I threw it at them and they didn't see the value.

Hopefully this thinking will change but its disappointing.

Nice stuff yet again Duff.

Dissapointing that the NTFL didn't see the value in that deal.

I was impressed with the level of the skills in that 1st qtr (well, for most of it). Both teams were quick, play-on at all costs and the decision making wasn't bad. Derbyshire looks a class above still.

The national anthem was embarrassing! When will the Dev footy club invest in a $9.99 cd with a proper anthem on it? They didn't even play one before the U23 rep game because they didn't have one available.

Would have been good if the NTFL could have got the DVDs for its players. It was a good game, and considering they won it you'd think they wouldn't mind the chance to relive it.

MarkyMark settle down. The players above you have mentioned have always done "OK" at VFL level.
It's a big step again from a NTFL rep side.
If Cat Geappon and Ken Hall had of played there's no way the 3rd qtr over run would have happened.
Having said that the NTFL were worthy winners and footy was the winner.

A few have done a bit more than ok. Ford won two VFL premierships, Derba kicked a bunch of goals in a Devils side that could barely win the ball, Plapp was a key forward for the Devils, Heazlewood knows a thing or two about playing in the midfield, and if Jesse Wells was playing for Clarence or Glenorchy, he would be given a run in the Devils this year without a doubt.

It would have been great to see Hall play. He's always looked good for the Devils when I've seen him. He certainly would have made it a bit tougher for the NTFL when they started to control the game in the second half.

The value of video footage

Can't imagine too many Premier or Regional League players will want to watch the games again too many times, if at all!

Barge, in 1986 I played in a Clarence under 17 team that went through the season un-defeated. % 180 odd.

We got knocked out in straight sets which still hurts to this day. I have since met a bloke who knows of a Sandy Bay dad who has mountains of footage of my team playing against the Bay that year and also footage from the 2nd semi @ Bellerive when they beat us.

To see myself up against the Joc McGregor's and Paul Burnell's will be pretty special. I didn't go on with my footy but was "a good junior footballer (though soft)" and played on ball. I am told there is heaps of me, yes me playing footy!

I don't give a flying hoot that we lost just want to see myself playing with my mates and reminisce about a great period in my life.

So to almost insinuate that "who would want this" is not seeing the bigger picture old mate.

Tomorrow I am driving 600km tomorrow to attend the NTFL monthly meeting and try to make them understand just what I offer, what it's all about and how the players really appreciate it.

Will be doing the same with the NTFA. Wish me luck.

The national anthem was embarrassing! When will the Dev footy club invest in a $9.99 cd with a proper anthem on it? They didn't even play one before the U23 rep game because they didn't have one available.

Would have been good if the NTFL could have got the DVDs for its players. It was a good game, and considering they won it you'd think they wouldn't mind the chance to relive it.

A few have done a bit more than ok. Ford won two VFL premierships, Derba kicked a bunch of goals in a Devils side that could barely win the ball, Plapp was a key forward for the Devils, Heazlewood knows a thing or two about playing in the midfield, and if Jesse Wells was playing for Clarence or Glenorchy, he would be given a run in the Devils this year without a doubt.

It would have been great to see Hall play. He's always looked good for the Devils when I've seen him. He certainly would have made it a bit tougher for the NTFL when they started to control the game in the second half.

how wells got drafted is beyond me. he is overweight and lacks mobility. for his size he should be playing well at NTFL level. he wouldnt cut it at VFL level now. as for snapper, can get the footy but his disposal at times is very very poor. he has lost penetration on his kick and the fact he had derba to kick it to makes him look a lot better. can get it, dont get me wrong, but not as damaging as ppl suggest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back