55_NathanAblett.jpg

DETAILS
JUMPER # 38
DOB 13/12/1985
HEIGHT 194cm
WEIGHT 96kg
FORMER CLUB Geelong, VIC

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/the-team/player-profiles/nathan-ablett/

In footballing terms, Nathan Ablett has achieved an incredible amount for someone so young. Still only 24 years of age, the intensely private Ablett - younger brother of Geelong star Gary and the son of Geelong great Gary Senior – kicked 46 goals as key forward in a three-season, 32 game stint at Geelong including three majors in the Cats history-making premiership win over Port Adelaide in 2007.

Soon after he shocked the football world by announcing his passion for the game had waned and that he wanted to retire. In 2008 he moved to Queensland and agreed to play with Broadbeach in the AFLQ competition.

Soon after, Gold Coast Football Club – where Ablett’s former mentor at Geelong, Ken Hinkley, holds down an assistant coaching post - convinced him to join its squad. Now Nathan finds himself at full forward in GCFC’s starting VFL line up. Standing 1.94 metres tall and by anyone’s standards an imposing physical presence, a fit and freshly motivated Ablett is expected to be a standout performer this year and beyond.

He has played the last 3 reserves games and kicked a couple goals in each... you would have to imagine that when fully fit in soon he will be in our best 22... has the talent, and Gaz has made it known he wants to play with Nathan again at senior level, so it may just be a matter of time ;)

We are still missing a big bodied mobile Full Fwd, Dixion is going ok at CHF, but will need a rest soon, Sam Day is very likely to come in very soon aswell at FF, but again he will have to be rotated to give his body a rest after 4-6 games. Day and Ablett are playing FF/CHF together in the reserves so will be learning each others habits and structures well, which may be the plan for them to both come into the seniors soon? Who knows...

Nathan has the built body already, the knowledge, experience and from all reports the desire to play AFL again... so its now or never really. He like a few other of the "older" players only have a one year contract... so if he doesn't do it now, he will struggle to stay on the list next year as salaries rise next year.

As far as big bodied leading forwards we only have Dixion, Day & NAblett... Fraser/Gorringe/Smith are just resting rucks and are not mobile leading forwards. So it looks very promising for Nathan, I predict he could be the big inclusion for our first home game at the new Metricon Stadium soon ;) ...another draw card to make it a big day, as the media will be all over Nathan when he is finally picked.

Time will tell.

I don't think he needs the extra pressure of playing against Geelong in his first game. I'd like to see him get a chance against another team first. We could do with someone who can take a mark in our forward 50m.

I would personally love to see him debut in the QClash. A senior body up forward (that is actually a forward, unlike Fraze) is exactly what we need right now. A hard body guy that has more than 3 games experience. If Dixon is gone with injury, I'd bring him in. Heck, I'd bring him in anyway to help Dixon out. He was getting triple teamed on Sunday.

If he doesn't get selected, especially since he's going well in the ressies, I'll be a little upset about it. Can't do much about it I spose though.

you cant be serious that he is in the best 22.....his efforts have been ordinary..kicked a few in reserves in the weekend..but nowhere near good enough for AFL

you cant be serious that he is in the best 22.....his efforts have been ordinary..kicked a few in reserves in the weekend..but nowhere near good enough for AFL
To be fair, GCSuns made that comment in April & we were definitely lacking key forwards at that stage. We'd been smashed by 119pts, 71pts & 90pts in our first 3 matches & had produced 1 good quarter to beat Port Adelaide, with Matera our main goalkicker. Since then we've seen a lot of improvement within the squad & quite a few good prospects introduced to senior footy.

I'd still like to see Nathan given a chance. Maybe he'll grab a game by the scruff of the neck; maybe he won't.

To be fair, GCSuns made that comment in April & we were definitely lacking key forwards at that stage. We'd been smashed by 119pts, 71pts & 90pts in our first 3 matches & had produced 1 good quarter to beat Port Adelaide, with Matera our main goalkicker. Since then we've seen a lot of improvement within the squad & quite a few good prospects introduced to senior footy.

I'd still like to see Nathan given a chance. Maybe he'll grab a game by the scruff of the neck; maybe he won't.

Agree with this. I completely take back my recent comment. Since I've made that, we've seen Lynch and Day make their debuts. Stanley is also hitting form as a great half forward.

To be honest, I think we're set with the forward structure right now. Where would we put him in? It just needs experience to become deadly. Contains Dixon, Day/Lynch, Stanley, Brennan on occasion, Matera, and the ruck combination. Krakouer too.

Reckon all that needs to be fixed up now is the back-line, which it seems is the only part of the field getting regular changes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back