National Draft Pick #17 - Michael Apeness

Remove this Banner Ad

His ready-made size could come in handy next year as ASADA insurance. Anything has to be better than being forced to play SNOS up there.

Hope he doesn't have the ability to go missing and a complete lack of awareness that Kossie developed after those concussions...

Took the words right out of my mouth! Although I do understand the positive intent behind the comparison, by the final years of his career Koschitzke had become a total liability as an AFL player due to his inability to react quickly to anything - indeed, you could certainly argue he was a far bigger factor in the Saints' 2009 GF loss than Dawson was.

But Apeness would appear to give us the one thing we will crave after Pav's retirement, a contested marking talent in the goal square. The number of times under Ross that there has been a lack of any contest at the drop 20 out has been infuriating, for all the success enjoyed elsewhere. So with this pick, and Hannath also showing ability in this area, the future looks promising.

Taberner has always struck me as a running CHF anyway, so the combination could be a good one for us.

Can we call him Kong?

Yes, yes we can!
QTocfdY.jpg

Good to hear he is from Perth and has most of his family here. He should settle in well and his parents sound really pleased he is heading to Freo.

Great news

There I was thinking he was a flight risk, a WA giant forward.

Skirt.Blown.Up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was originally furious with GWS, just mind boggling they can waste a first round pick like that. But, I'm liking His Royal Apeness more by the minute.

The fact he's originally from here is just icing on the banana cake.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back