National Draft Pick #37 - Alex Pearce

Remove this Banner Ad

You heard it here first. Pearce will be groomed for the backline to support Tanner Smith in years to come or he won't make it on the field.

It's clear that unless you are GWS and handed the best key forwards in the land year after year, you do what Freo is doing and collect talls with potential, give 'em a go and see if they sink or swim at AFL level. Swim or out. The balls in Moller, Hannath, Smith, Tabs, His Apeness, and Pearce's court. That's only a few positions to fight for. Howson didn't cut it. Will be interesting to see who does in the coming years.

This kid has footy smarts and can think on his feet .
TBH I think he should be tried as a KPB as there's a lot of Elvis about the way he moves and he could be very damaging as a swing man .
He like Tanner could become the mainstays of our defence in years to come .

TBH he looks like a work in practice and we should give him some opportunities in the backline to both see what he can do and at the same time he will learn more about defensive pressure if he spends some time there .

You heard it here first. Pearce will be groomed for the backline to support Tanner Smith in years to come or he won't make it on the field.

It's clear that unless you are GWS and handed the best key forwards in the land year after year, you do what Freo is doing and collect talls with potential, give 'em a go and see if they sink or swim at AFL level. Swim or out. The balls in Moller, Hannath, Smith, Tabs, His Apeness, and Pearce's court. That's only a few positions to fight for. Howson didn't cut it. Will be interesting to see who does in the coming years.
Karl Langdon hinted that Howson was moved on by the playing group and that it wasn't a mental issue does anyone have knowledge about this because it seems very strange and the Club has been mute on the whole thing

Footage reminded me of the Dogs' Jarrad Grant. Dunno whether that's a good or bad thing but it will be interesting following his development nonetheless.

Seeing as this draft was touted all year as terrible for quality talls - it seems foolish to bullishly take talls no matter what in a year where there are none. If that was their thought process then they probably shouldn't have left it till the last minute... It's just a bit frustrating that it's gone this way and they've left it till now where the talent pool for talls is at it's driest in years.

Seeing as this draft was touted all year as terrible for quality talls - it seems foolish to bullishly take talls no matter what in a year where there are none. If that was their thought process then they probably shouldn't have left it till the last minute... It's just a bit frustrating that it's gone this way and they've left it till now where the talent pool for talls is at it's driest in years.

Can I like this post one billion times?

Karl Langdon hinted that Howson was moved on by the playing group and that it wasn't a mental issue does anyone have knowledge about this because it seems very strange and the Club has been mute on the whole thing

Can't we let this issue rest coulda? The only thing that is clear about the whole thing is that no one really knows anything about it.

Can't we let this issue rest coulda? The only thing that is clear about the whole thing is that no one really knows anything about it.
I'm just upset with Langdon for intimating and not being up front about the issue and I can't for the life of me think why he did .
I met the kid and spoke to his uncle when he was training with us and both the kid and the uncle where rapt the he was recruited by Fremantle and the next thing we hear is that the Club let him go .
Others on the board said he had mental issues but I never saw them

Whatever the cause, the game we saw of him on TV where he played for the league side was appallingly slack. If attitude, mental health or physical health issues cause that then he will not make it as an AFL footballer unless he can get it sorted. Someone suggested he may have just felt off colour on the day, so obviously everything I just said is irrelevant. The truth is we don't know.

I'm just upset with Langdon for intimating and not being up front about the issue and I can't for the life of me think why he did .
I met the kid and spoke to his uncle when he was training with us and both the kid and the uncle where rapt the he was recruited by Fremantle and the next thing we hear is that the Club let him go .
Others on the board said he had mental issues but I never saw them

He has/had an illness that prevented him from training, sorry but out of respect for his privacy I can't be more specific.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slaggers gotta slag.Do you honestly believe something so blindingly simplistic as our recruiters ".. bullishly take talls no matter what in a year where there are none." ??

Go check out Lloyds quote on the Freo website pre draft today.

He said we were targeting talls. That's what he said.

This draft was universally known to be light on for talls.

Either way I reckon we should be focusing on our new recruits futures with our club instead of armchair quarterbacking and second guessing our recruiters because we didn't get who we hoped we would and we're not really sure how our new boys will cope based on the 2 minutes of you tube footage we've seen today.

His kicking is a major concern. Atrocious action. Will be very surprised if this pick ever works out.

No worries raffrox
Lloyd said“Obviously we’ll be filling some specific needs for certain types throughout the Draft, but you can’t be silly about it with each pick. You need to make sure the talent matches that pick as you go.”
These blokes are not only pros they're some of the best pros in the game.They've picked the big blokes because they're talented big blokes;no-one knows how they'll pan out but our recruiting staff are not f&*#ing knob-ends.

He has/had an illness that prevented him from training, sorry but out of respect for his privacy I can't be more specific.
Mate thanks for that , I really feel for the kid and I hope that he is able to get on with his life and he gets a chance to have a good life after football .
Best wishes to the family as well

2009: We went Mora and the following forwards went after pick 4: Butcher, no other forwards of note in that draft.
2010: the only forward of note available at our first pick was Darling.
2011: we picked mids, yet following our first pick the only talls taken (i.e. available to us) where: Kersten, Elton, McInnes, Hamling, Paine - can´t say we should of gone deep on talls in that draft.
2012: the following talls were available from our first pick: Paparone, White, Shaw, Stewart.

The only "miss" is probably Darling, however the trend is towards 198cm+ forwards and defenders. Darlings best attribute is his contested marking, how will that go in several years against the giant backmen?

Butcher and Shaw have both done nothing and in fact Port went for another key forward in this draft to provide another option.

Paparone is perhaps arguable over Simpson in 2012.

Apeness in my opinion looks better than all of the forwards taken after our first pick in the previous drafts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back