Sport NBA Thread...BOOMSHAKALAKA

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 13, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
NBA kicked off couple of weeks back, I'm tipping the Oklahoma City Thunder to win the whole thing but hopefully my Utah Jazz can take it out.

Jazz off to a good start, I hope they can keep it up.

Haha, love the thread title.

I've been watching NBA on and off for a while now and still don't have a team. Don't think I ever will though.

Thunder, Heat and Bulls looking strong again. Looking forward to seeing where Howard decides to go because that decision could be a big season turner for whichever team he picks.

Howard will obviously look to get to one of the bigger clubs like Miami or the Thunder but with their salary caps very high I doubt he'll leave Orlando or he'll go to a club like the Pacers.

I gotta say although I support the Jazz, I am a mad Blake Griffin fan, he is a beast! :D

I'm the same AG. Have been following NBA and NFL relatively closely over the last 3-5 years but can't pick a team and doubt I ever will for each comp.

I'm loving the Lakers, Spurs and Celtics finally falling away. Them always winning has become very, very boring.

Bulls, Heat and Thunder the best of the lot so far IMO. I'd be picking the Heat to win it, they have improved their roster a lot since last year and should be hitting their prime now after a year playing together and getting to know each other. LeBron has looked unstoppable so far.

Trailblazers have looked good so far but despite their very deep roster, they will fall at the last one or two hurdles. If they could have had Brandon Roy and a fit Greg Oden play it could be a different story.

Howard I think is a big chance to get to the Mavericks. They're supposedly in the race to get Deron Williams when he comes off contract soon so I imagine they'll be trying hard to pair Dwight and Williams. Otherwise, I'd say the Bulls are the best bet.

Clippers will go through some growing pains with their talented starting 5 before they really start to play well and contend. I doubt they will contend this year, perhaps next year.

I've got the Falcons in the NFL. More of a bandwagoner though and only follow them because my uncle does.

Doesn't matter too much because american sports are so big that it's fun just watching for the atmosphere, showmanship, entertainment value etc. Americans know how to broadcast sport as well, awesome too watch.

I've got the Falcons in the NFL. More of a bandwagoner though and only follow them because my uncle does.

Doesn't matter too much because american sports are so big that it's fun just watching for the atmosphere, showmanship, entertainment value etc. Americans know how to broadcast sport as well, awesome too watch.

Seahawks FTW!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to get over to America around July, but NBA would be over and so would NFL. :(

Went to a few Tigers games when I was at school. The days of Copeland, Gaze etc. were good but there was no atmosphere at the game. Felt like I was watching school sport in a way.

Basketball is obviously big in the US. Europe likewise. What's South America and Asia like? Asia probably getting bigger due to guys like Yao Ming and because the population is so big. Apart from Ginobli I don't know of any big name players from South America.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same with Philly, Atlanta and Portland. All 3 are probably short of the absolute top level talent of say Chicago, Miami and OKC but all 3 (plus Utah) have very deep rosters that should get them to the playoffs. Potentially 2nd round teams but probably not more than that.

If we can keep up our consistent form we will make the playoffs. We have young talent coming through like Hayward and Kanter as well as Jefferson. We have a bright future I reckon.

I've been wondering about Utah, what are you gonna do about your bigs? Surely you'll have to trade one of them. You've got a star in Jefferson and 2 young high draft picks in Favors and Kanter as well as Paul Millsap. Had to get rid of Okur because of that situation which was fair enough but surely you can't carry all 4 of them into the next few years. Maybe for the rest of the year but I would think Millsap might get a bit nervy and request a trade at some stage in the future.

used to follow the bucks back in the nba hayday. not sure why, but enjoyed glen 'big dog' robinson and vin baker. had a soft spot for chicago (like everyone else lol) because of jordan, pippen. and rodman was probably my favourite player, read his book and all. but over the last 15 years or so have only looked up results every now and then to see how the bucks are getting on as well as any players from that 91-95 period to see if they were still playing.

one of the more shocking things i found out was that rodney rogers was in a dirt bike accident and is paralyzed from the shoulders down. was one of the players i was looking up as i really remember that moment where he hit three 3's in like the last 8 or 9 seconds of regular time vs the jazz to force overtime (jazz ended up winning comfortably fwiw)

edit:

found the rogers moment i was talking about although it wasnt exactly the last 8 or 9 seconds.
[youtube]rhCy8q2p5Jw[/youtube]

HAHAHAHAHA. Holy ****. Griffin is a monster. Had literally just heard about it on TV so was going to go to youtube to find it until I saw this come up. That is other-worldly. Watch on the first replay the old guys in the front row going nuts, brilliant.

On the topic of NBA, still seeing OKC, Chicago and Miami as the teams to beat. Indiana, Philly, Denver, Atlanta (I think they're perpetual pretenders personally...you can have that alliteration for free) are the next best with the Clippers the big potential risers as the season goes on and Paul/Griffin/Jordan/Butler/Chauncey begin to gel properly.

Really liking Minnesota this year too. Love/Rubio could be a title combo some time in the future. They have some good players aside from them too.

Anyone seen Kentucky play this season? Wait til Anthony Davis heads for the pros ... he's a freshman, WAS a 6 foot 3 guard a year or so ago; now he's 6 foot 11 with guard skills and is a shot-blocking freak.

Kentucky the best college team this year; Davis, Terrence Jones and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist are all outstanding.

Anyone seen Kentucky play this season? Wait til Anthony Davis heads for the pros ... he's a freshman, WAS a 6 foot 3 guard a year or so ago; now he's 6 foot 11 with guard skills and is a shot-blocking freak.

Kentucky the best college team this year; Davis, Terrence Jones and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist are all outstanding.

For those who punt, Kentucky remains $5 on SportsTAB even after taking 7th-ranked Florida to the cleaners today ... a remarkable price. Load up before the bookies wise up, and cash in on March madness.

Just a question dg, how do you get so involved in college basketball. I find it hard to follow a sport where I don't get to see much of it. I became interested in the NBA when Ch10 were showing a few games and a highlights show in the 90s but I never followed NHL, NFL or the MLB because they never received any coverage here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back