Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

Really enjoying Ned more and more, he brings a lot of aggression and urgency to the team.

Laid a really good tackle on mitch robinson on the weekend, who doesn't take a backward step himself and really let him know about it. Love it.

Really enjoying Ned more and more, he brings a lot of aggression and urgency to the team.

Laid a really good tackle on mitch robinson on the weekend, who doesn't take a backward step himself and really let him know about it. Love it.

If you could get an answer from Nicks off-record on who is his favorite I'd bet its a close call between Ned & Keyes. 100% intensity, everything he does & looking better all the time. Love the kid.

IIRC he averaged around 5 clearances a game for the Falcons, despite being moved around the ground and used in various roles quite a bit

So yeah, he has the ability

Tells me he got used as a Mr Fixit, perhaps to the detriment of his own game?

Tells me he got used as a Mr Fixit, perhaps to the detriment of his own game?
I should say, I can't remember him ever really getting used in defence, so not really?

That said, it didn't really detriment him during his draft year, showed very good form both in the coalface and up forward. If anything, his slow rate of development has been down to other factors during his time here IMO (injuries, car accident, possibly Younie etc)

IIRC he averaged around 5 clearances a game for the Falcons, despite being moved around the ground and used in various roles quite a bit

So yeah, he has the ability
This doesn't surprise me at all, his movement in close is very good and isn't afraid of using the "don't argue". I see him developing into a midfielder.

I care not for stats or ratings. This kid Ned McHenry is jet!! When he is crumbing at stoppages he wins the ball, pressure, tackling he can do.

But I have seen enough of Ned to know he can win clearances in the AFL. Not only that but this boy will excel as an inside midfielder!

He'll thrive on it, trust me! Ned loves the contest. Why isn't he playing the on-ball role yet?

On RMX1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I care not for stats or ratings. This kid Ned McHenry is jet!! When he is crumbing at stoppages he wins the ball, pressure, tackling he can do.

But I have seen enough of Ned to know he can win clearances in the AFL. Not only that but this boy will excel as an inside midfielder!

He'll thrive on it, trust me! Ned loves the contest. Why isn't he playing the on-ball role yet?

Harsh thread. He’s not that bad. Give him time, who knows.

High centre of gravity for such a little fella.
Gets knocked off the ball to easily, and I don't know if he has the ability to change this through building muscle.

If he learns to hit front and centre a bit better and get rid of his small man syndrome, he will be a decent player.

Jet AFL inside mid? No way.

Imo, has shown enough that he will be a decent player for us.

Currently he is that forward pest that Richmond love so much.

Hope we see him get more chances in the midfield going forward.

He's done ok at times. A jet or gun? Nowhere near and I like the guy.

I've unashamedly been a fan of the little fella for a long while now.
Earlier in the year i had his ceiling at solid/valuable member of the 22. The gut running & manic pressure have been clear since the start, but in recent weeks there have been glimpses of some other quality traits. Decision making/delivery into the forward line has looked good, and have been impressed with quick hands. I dont see his ceiling as jet/gun, but I think he'll end up in the tier just below that.

Get off big footy Ned and start hitting the gym.

He's probably never going to be elite but I always get confused by the occasional calls for dropping him from the team entirely. Think he's a solid best 22 player who would probably be really excelling if he was playing for a good club. Have a feeling if Port picked up McHenry and gave him a role in a contending side he'd be being spoken about very differently.

He's shown a lot over the course of the season
  • Does a lot of things that don't show up on the stat sheet - so often you see someone hurrying to apply pressure to an opposition kick and it's McHenry sprinting. Not sure if anyone collects the numbers on how often that bit of pressure impacts disposal efficiency. Unfortunately he's often the only one who applies that kind of pressure all game long.
  • Has a pattern of some really clean pick-ups and hand-offs in congestion to open up a play
  • When he does get the ball with a little bit of time and space, find that he's more likely than most of the squad to look for an efficient disposal target by foot versus hacking it long, and he executes
  • Has cleaned up the discipline very quickly this season, though still thinks he gets hard done by from the umpires probably because they see him running around like a crazy person. Overall I get the sense that he's a 'hard but fair' type of character and will continue to tidy up the free kick differential
Given that, wouldn't mind seeing him get some runs through the middle or on the wing to be able to provide better playmaking into the forward half. Find when he gets the ball in forward 50 he doesn't have the goal sense of a Rowe/Murphy (for better or for worse) and is always looking to give it off. Also needs to get the strength to really land every tackle well, as think opposition players will respect his pressure acts more if the tackles really stick.

Hi Ned!

Still optimistic on Ned. Nice to have someone who can hit a leading forward.

McHenry wins contests and uses the ball efficiently. When he doesn't win the contest he applies outstanding defensive pressure. He struggled while he didn't have the body shape for his game style but is starting to come online now. I remain optimistic. Hopefully 22 games as a half forward the next couple of years, maybe some time in the midfield after that.

He's probably never going to be elite but I always get confused by the occasional calls for dropping him from the team entirely. Think he's a solid best 22 player who would probably be really excelling if he was playing for a good club. Have a feeling if Port picked up McHenry and gave him a role in a contending side he'd be being spoken about very differently.

He's shown a lot over the course of the season
  • Does a lot of things that don't show up on the stat sheet - so often you see someone hurrying to apply pressure to an opposition kick and it's McHenry sprinting. Not sure if anyone collects the numbers on how often that bit of pressure impacts disposal efficiency. Unfortunately he's often the only one who applies that kind of pressure all game long.
  • Has a pattern of some really clean pick-ups and hand-offs in congestion to open up a play
  • When he does get the ball with a little bit of time and space, find that he's more likely than most of the squad to look for an efficient disposal target by foot versus hacking it long, and he executes
  • Has cleaned up the discipline very quickly this season, though still thinks he gets hard done by from the umpires probably because they see him running around like a crazy person. Overall I get the sense that he's a 'hard but fair' type of character and will continue to tidy up the free kick differential
Given that, wouldn't mind seeing him get some runs through the middle or on the wing to be able to provide better playmaking into the forward half. Find when he gets the ball in forward 50 he doesn't have the goal sense of a Rowe/Murphy (for better or for worse) and is always looking to give it off. Also needs to get the strength to really land every tackle well, as think opposition players will respect his pressure acts more if the tackles really stick.
I agree Ned probably won't be an A grader. He will be better than average though. Really want to see him at stoppages this year, along with Pedlar. Has Luke broken team rules or something, why hasn't he been playing

Ned has an elite tank right? Seems a waste to have that as a small fwd. Would love us to try use him as a pure tagger... can keep up with anyone and has that annoying pest about him. Just tell him to run and never let go of the opposition best mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back