Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Ned but he doesn’t have the skills to kick goals. Needs to play high half forward with stints putting pressure around the ball. His delivery into the forward 50 is actually decent, but keep him away from the goals

I like Ned but he doesn’t have the skills to kick goals. Needs to play high half forward with stints putting pressure around the ball. His delivery into the forward 50 is actually decent, but keep him away from the goals
hell he plays a high forward now but too small and lacking pace to be a decent lead up and wanting him to go in midfield is a joke we have enough of one paced players that have no offensive skills now .
How man frees would he give away as a mid .
Look both Jones and Ned been disappointing but least Jones has some speed and skills that want to see eventuate sometime ,but with Ned as endeavour only shining light just dont and never seen what offers as aAFL player

He's facing the exact same problems Riley Knight was at our club, and Matthew Wright before him.

We have a designated role for a "defensive" forward whose role isn't to kick goals or do anything on the scoreboard, but to do basically all the defensive work of our forward line.

We need this player to compensate for our slow tall forwards (eg Tex) and our smalls that cannot defend at all (Rowe).

The issue with McHenry, and Knight, is that they are natural midfielders but not amazing in that role for a variety of reasons. Knight played his best football in the centre but that best was short of AFL level. As a defensive forward he was passable, but he wasn't good at scoring whatsoever. He was effectively clogging the team as a result. McHenry is basically the same but a bit more evasive and clever with disposal.

The problem with defensive forwards is we create a role that really shouldn't exist. You can't just throw one player up forward and go "yep that's our defensive pressure solved". All forwards should be scoring options. All smalls should provide defensive work. Rowe and McHenry should be combined into a single player, which of course would be a very good small forward.

That's why McHenry struggles. He plays an impossible role where it's hard to succeed or really contribute anything except being a body around the contest.

But it's not a total loss for him. If we had another genuine all round small forward that was decent and had defensive capabilities, we could use McHenry as a true half forward. He has an excellent tank, he's creative with the ball and his delivery inside 50 is better than 80% of the team. There's a role there for him.

Instead we are rotating all of Rowe, Murphy and McHenry through various areas on the ground when really those three players should be filling a single role on the ground. Personally I think McHenry is the most likely to make it of the three

Apparently ned is very fit.. why not give him a tagger role? Just nullify their best mid.

Or why not give him a connector role like lynch... he's not the fastest but if he can run all day...

Apparently ned is very fit.. why not give him a tagger role? Just nullify their best mid.

Or why not give him a connector role like lynch... he's not the fastest but if he can run all day...
Endurance is part of the reason why both Jones and McHenry were drafted in the first place. You can see it a bit with Ned's repeat efforts. Jones doesn't really show it at all.

We have at least two midfield spots that should be wide open right now (Crouch and Sloane). I'd persist with him but Schoenberg's spot could open up if he doesn't turn it around soon. That's plenty of room to experiment with a mix of different players.
He doesn't have to be at centre bounces, but given there's 20 odd players around a ball up these days, he really should be one of them.

He's facing the exact same problems Riley Knight was at our club, and Matthew Wright before him.

We have a designated role for a "defensive" forward whose role isn't to kick goals or do anything on the scoreboard, but to do basically all the defensive work of our forward line.

We need this player to compensate for our slow tall forwards (eg Tex) and our smalls that cannot defend at all (Rowe).

The issue with McHenry, and Knight, is that they are natural midfielders but not amazing in that role for a variety of reasons. Knight played his best football in the centre but that best was short of AFL level. As a defensive forward he was passable, but he wasn't good at scoring whatsoever. He was effectively clogging the team as a result. McHenry is basically the same but a bit more evasive and clever with disposal.

The problem with defensive forwards is we create a role that really shouldn't exist. You can't just throw one player up forward and go "yep that's our defensive pressure solved". All forwards should be scoring options. All smalls should provide defensive work. Rowe and McHenry should be combined into a single player, which of course would be a very good small forward.

That's why McHenry struggles. He plays an impossible role where it's hard to succeed or really contribute anything except being a body around the contest.

But it's not a total loss for him. If we had another genuine all round small forward that was decent and had defensive capabilities, we could use McHenry as a true half forward. He has an excellent tank, he's creative with the ball and his delivery inside 50 is better than 80% of the team. There's a role there for him.

Instead we are rotating all of Rowe, Murphy and McHenry through various areas on the ground when really those three players should be filling a single role on the ground. Personally I think McHenry is the most likely to make it of the three

The most likely to make it? Can’t compete in the air, can’t kick, doesn’t read the play particularly well, no natural goal sense, not particularly good with evasive skills, not much above average pace and averages 2 frees against per game.

I hope what you see in him shines through as the year goes on - outside of him being a good kid, great teammate

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The most likely to make it? Can’t compete in the air, can’t kick, doesn’t read the play particularly well, no natural goal sense, not particularly good with evasive skills, not much above average pace and averages 2 frees against per game.

I hope what you see in him shines through as the year goes on - outside of him being a good kid, great teammate

I don't agree with about half of the things you've said. He does read the play well, he's reasonably evasive and has a good inside 50 kick.

His main issues are he gets bullied off the ball too easily (lacks core strength), he's a bad shot for goal, the umpires hate him and he's short for a half forward

The player you've most closely described is Lachie Murphy, aside from giving away 2 frees per game

Wow
Do you have any idea why he got drafted
?
Seen any of those traits ?

That miss from the goal square which would have won us the game still stings. How could he possibly miss by that much?

I was optimistic after his 2021 season where he was a passable developing player but this year I have gone right off him again.

If anyone goes near him or touches him, he drops the ball or fumbles. Too small, too many frees against, cant kick for goal..

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

That miss from the goal square which would have won us the game still stings. How could he possibly miss by that much?

I was optimistic after his 2021 season where he was a passable developing player but this year I have gone right off him again.

If anyone goes near him or touches him, he drops the ball or fumbles. Too small, too many frees against, cant kick for goal..

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
How could he miss by that much? Zero goal sense, average skills and short of footy smarts.

He’s basically a workhorse who tries hard. Reckon we could have found one of those pretty cheaply at the end of the draft, rookie draft or sanfl reserves

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How could he miss by that much? Zero goal sense, average skills and short of footy smarts.

He’s basically a workhorse who tries hard. Reckon we could have found one of those pretty cheaply at the end of the draft, rookie draft or sanfl reserves

Speaking of which, I’d rather Murphy in our side that McHenry.

Crowmania Shelf Stocker v First Rounder. Oof.

Some will argue that Ned is being played out of position, but his figures so far in 2022 do not scream “keep me in”.

He has averaged 84% time on ground:

The good
  • 12.5 disposals per game – OK for HHF?
  • 160m gained per game
  • 1.2 tackles inside 50 per game
  • 4 score involvements per game
The bad
  • 4.2 clangers per game
  • 2 frees against per game
  • Marks inside 50 – 1 for season
  • Goals for season – 2
  • 1 clearance for season
His small stature also sees him knocked off the ball too easily. Oh, and he can't kick for goal.
He would be one of the "first outs" for me.

Speaking of which, I’d rather Murphy in our side that McHenry.

Crowmania Shelf Stocker v First Rounder. Oof.
It’s a bit depressing that we spent two first rounders on Ned and Chayce… just quickly went back and looked at the 2018 draft, and if you were to do it all over again, I don’t think either go top 20.

1. Bailey Smith
2. Sam Walsh
3. Max King
4. Ben King
5. Nick Blakey
6. Justin McInerny
7. Zak Butters
8. Jye Caldwell
9. James Rowbottom
10. Tom Sparrow
11. Tarryn Thomas
12. Jack Lukosius
13. Isaac Quaynor
14. Lachlan Scholl
15. Nick Hind
16. Izak Rankine
17. Connor Rozee
18. Lachlan Schultz
19. Xavier Duursma
20. Darcy Fort

Perhaps Ned might sneak into the bottom 3-4 on to that list, but I’d still probably swap him for anyone listed above.

I don't agree with about half of the things you've said. He does read the play well, he's reasonably evasive and has a good inside 50 kick.

His main issues are he gets bullied off the ball too easily (lacks core strength), he's a bad shot for goal, the umpires hate him and he's short for a half forward

The player you've most closely described is Lachie Murphy, aside from giving away 2 frees per game

Murphy averages close to a goal a game , similar disposals, marks and tackles as Ned - and gives away almost a quarter of the free kicks. Ned has actually given away 7 more frees in his 33 games as Rowe and Murphy combined in 84 games! And free kicks in your forward line are easy pressure release valves for the opposition.

Don’t get me wrong Ned comes across as a great locker room guy but he isn’t an AFL footballer

It’s a bit depressing that we spent two first rounders on Ned and Chayce… just quickly went back and looked at the 2018 draft, and if you were to do it all over again, I don’t think either go top 20.

1. Bailey Smith
2. Sam Walsh
3. Max King
4. Ben King
5. Nick Blakey
6. Justin McInerny
7. Zak Butters
8. Jye Caldwell
9. James Rowbottom
10. Tom Sparrow
11. Tarryn Thomas
12. Jack Lukosius
13. Isaac Quaynor
14. Lachlan Scholl
15. Nick Hind
16. Izak Rankine
17. Connor Rozee
18. Lachlan Schultz
19. Xavier Duursma
20. Darcy Fort

Perhaps Ned might sneak into the bottom 3-4 on to that list, but I’d still probably swap him for anyone listed above.

I doubt Chayce even gets drafted.

I doubt Chayce even gets drafted.

On current form? No chance.

I mean look at our first round picks from 2015 to 2019. Not one playing midfield, let alone an Elite, A or even B grade mid in the list.

2015 Pick 11 - Wayne Milera -
2015 Pick 17 - Tom Doedee -
2016 Pick 15 - Jordan Gallucci -
2017 Pick 12 - Darcy Fogarty -
2018 Pick 9 - Chayce Jones -
2018 Pick 16 - Ned McHenry -
2019 Pick 6 - Fischer McAsey -

Some will argue that Ned is being played out of position, but his figures so far in 2022 do not scream “keep me in”.

He has averaged 84% time on ground:

The good
  • 12.5 disposals per game – OK for HHF?
  • 160m gained per game
  • 4 score involvements per game
The bad
  • 4.2 clangers per game
  • 2 frees against per game
  • Marks inside 50 – 1 for season
  • Goals for season – 2
  • 1 clearance for season
His small stature also sees him knocked off the ball too easily. Oh, and he can't kick for goal.
He would be one of the "first outs" for me.

Not to take away from your analysis, but frees against are clangers, so it's kind of redundant to list both.

I'm a Ned fan, but he's not playing at the level he did at times last year.

Ned's positives at the moment:
  • Pressure acts - rated elite
  • Tackles
  • Inside 50s
He needs to be played higher up the ground and work back hard and kick the easy goals. There's a player there. Richmond had a few of his type win multiple flags recently.
Really needs to play a role similar to say a Kane Lambert. That's where he will thrive.

Not to take away from your analysis, but frees against are clangers, so it's kind of redundant to list both.

I'm a Ned fan, but he's not playing at the level he did at times last year.
Grabbed the numbers from Footywire.
They list frees and changers separately - didn’t realise it was double dipping

On current form? No chance.

I mean look at our first round picks from 2015 to 2019. Not one playing midfield, let alone an Elite, A or even B grade mid in the list.

2015 Pick 11 - Wayne Milera -
2015 Pick 17 - Tom Doedee -
2016 Pick 15 - Jordan Gallucci -
2017 Pick 12 - Darcy Fogarty -
2018 Pick 9 - Chayce Jones -
2018 Pick 16 - Ned McHenry -
2019 Pick 6 - Fischer McAsey -
What ever happened to Gallucci? First two are OK. The rest are looking like fails. Jones should be a midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back