Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

Not to take away from your analysis, but frees against are clangers, so it's kind of redundant to list both.

I'm a Ned fan, but he's not playing at the level he did at times last year.
Agreed, havent loved his start to the year but have been on board since early and havent changed outlook. Needs to understand the balance between trying to manically defend 2/3 of the ground, and being more constructive. My money still on him ending his career as a universally liked, valuable contributor that people would feel good about had he been a 2nd round pick.

Would like to see him given a decent crack in the midfield & move Sloane out.

Give him a run with role on Prestia to niggle the crap out of him.

Surely we've seen enough to know this won't work.

Wait we haven't seen what he can do at full forward? Let's give him a crack there to see if he can show something... smh

Surely we've seen enough to know this won't work.

Wait we haven't seen what he can do at full forward? Let's give him a crack there to see if he can show something... smh
Wtf?

Since when have we given him a decent crack in the midfield?

We recruited him as a midfielder not a full forward!

Wtf?

Since when have we given him a decent crack in the midfield?

We recruited him as a midfielder not a full forward!

He's stunk it up everywhere else. Are you telling me he's going to magically suceed in the midfield? In the middle he will line up against the competitions elite, they will abolsoultely rip him a new arsehole. You don't need to be nostradamus to work this out.

He's stunk it up everywhere else. Are you telling me he's going to magically suceed in the midfield? In the middle he will line up against the competitions elite, they will abolsoultely rip him a new arsehole. You don't need to be nostradamus to work this out.
Why wouldn't we play him in the position that we recruited him for?

He's played good midfield football in the sanfl... so why wouldn't we try him in the afl.

Our midfield badly needs fixing, so we should be trying everything... rather than sticking to an old formula that doesn't work.

Why wouldn't we play him in the position that we recruited him for?

He's played good midfield football in the sanfl... so why wouldn't we try him in the afl.

Our midfield badly needs fixing, so we should be trying everything... rather than sticking to an old formula that doesn't work.

Why because he's shown sfa ability. It's been how many years since he has been drafted? How long can a guy live off his junior form. '5 years ago I did some good things so you should give me a crack' Jesus ******* Christ...
He's been good in the SANFL? Frampton has been good in the SANFL, look how that has turned out. If Ned wants to be an AFL midfielder, good ain't going to cut it, he should be ripping it apart in the magoos.

Why because he's shown sfa ability. It's been how many years since he has been drafted? How long can a guy live off his junior form. '5 years ago I did some good things so you should give me a crack' Jesus ******* Christ...
He's been good in the SANFL? Frampton has been good in the SANFL, look how that has turned out. If Ned wants to be an AFL midfielder, good ain't going to cut it, he should be ripping it apart in the magoos.
I get it you are very emotional invested in your hate of Ned.

I'm not convinced he will make it, but before I write him off, I would like to see us play him in the position we recruited him for.

When in a rebuild, we should be trying different options to work out what works & what doesn't...

I get it you are very emotional invested in your hate of Ned.

I'm not convinced he will make it, but before I write him off, I would like to see us play him in the position we recruited him for.

When in a rebuild, we should be trying different options to work out what works & what doesn't...

My arguments are based on facts, logic and reason. We don't need to play him on every position on ground to understand he just doesn't have it.
We've already gifted him a lot of games to see if he has it and I ask where are the glimpses of talent? A couple of okay forward entries for the season? That's it???

Now he is just impeding the development of others.

My arguments are based on facts, logic and reason. We don't need to play him on every position on ground to understand he just doesn't have it.
We've already gifted him a lot of games to see if he has it and I ask where are the glimpses of talent? A couple of okay forward entries for the season? That's it???

Now he is just impeding the development of others.
Fact lol.

Since when has he played in the midfield in the AFL?

He hasn't had a decent go in the midfield.
.. now that is a fact!

Fact lol.

Since when has he played in the midfield in the AFL?

He hasn't had a decent go in the midfield.
.. now that is a fact!

Yeah lets keep burning time on this guy instead of giving Berry, Peds, Sog etc a crack. Brilliant idea.

I played a good game of footy 5 years ago lets put me in. I haven't played midfield time in the AFL lets see what I can do. Bullet proof rationale

There is no one to blame for this but ourselves. We keep picking midget midfielders and oblivious to how much harder it is for them in the modern game. Yes there has been successful small midfielders but there is no denying that they would have to work harder than and have more elite traits than their more physical and athletically gifted counterparts.

We have not set him up for success and I would say the same of Jones. We have to play both in alternate positions to salvage whatever we can from the picks.

I want them to be successful as much as anyone but more so I want us to please learn lessons from these experiences.

Yeah lets keep burning time on this guy instead of giving Berry, Peds, Sog etc a crack. Brilliant idea.

I played a good game of footy 5 years ago lets put me in. I haven't played midfield time in the AFL lets see what I can do. Bullet proof rationale

real bastion of "arguments are based on facts, logic and reason" this is. He's not vying for the same position as any of these guys. Nor is he a "small forward" in the crumbing/goalsneak sense. End game here is an extra mid/winger that covers a ton of ground from HF. Tom Lynch, but better defensively.
Based on eyes/gut feel I'm willing to throw money him working out if you want to make it interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's facing the exact same problems Riley Knight was at our club, and Matthew Wright before him.

We have a designated role for a "defensive" forward whose role isn't to kick goals or do anything on the scoreboard, but to do basically all the defensive work of our forward line.

We need this player to compensate for our slow tall forwards (eg Tex) and our smalls that cannot defend at all (Rowe).

The issue with McHenry, and Knight, is that they are natural midfielders but not amazing in that role for a variety of reasons. Knight played his best football in the centre but that best was short of AFL level. As a defensive forward he was passable, but he wasn't good at scoring whatsoever. He was effectively clogging the team as a result. McHenry is basically the same but a bit more evasive and clever with disposal.

The problem with defensive forwards is we create a role that really shouldn't exist. You can't just throw one player up forward and go "yep that's our defensive pressure solved". All forwards should be scoring options. All smalls should provide defensive work. Rowe and McHenry should be combined into a single player, which of course would be a very good small forward.

That's why McHenry struggles. He plays an impossible role where it's hard to succeed or really contribute anything except being a body around the contest.

But it's not a total loss for him. If we had another genuine all round small forward that was decent and had defensive capabilities, we could use McHenry as a true half forward. He has an excellent tank, he's creative with the ball and his delivery inside 50 is better than 80% of the team. There's a role there for him.

Instead we are rotating all of Rowe, Murphy and McHenry through various areas on the ground when really those three players should be filling a single role on the ground. Personally I think McHenry is the most likely to make it of the three
What other team has a small forward who is undertaking a similar role to Ned McHenry (and recently Riley Knight). There for pressure acts without much expectation re gaining effective disposals or kicking goals? Anyone in the top 4 teams?

Surely we should aspire to a Charlie Cameron type again, who provides the defensive pressure while also presenting a target and kicking goals.

Given Ned’s lack of size, pace and skills, what is his absolute ceiling ….. an undersized Matt de Boer?
real bastion of "arguments are based on facts, logic and reason" this is. He's not vying for the same position as any of these guys. Nor is he a "small forward" in the crumbing/goalsneak sense. End game here is an extra mid/winger that covers a ton of ground from HF. Tom Lynch, but better defensively.
Based on eyes/gut feel I'm willing to throw money him working out if you want to make it interesting.
You do realise that Ned’s 12cm shorter (two playing sizes), about 15 kg lighter and he lacks Lynch’s ability to read the play.

He may have other problems, but Galluci had much more talent, athleticism and upside than Ned. Combine the best of both and you’d have a player.

Ned however has great ‘character’. He’s a very likeable kid.

You do realise that Ned’s 12cm shorter (two playing sizes), about 15 kg lighter and he lacks Lynch’s ability to read the play.

He may have other problems, but Galluci had much more talent, athleticism and upside than Ned. Combine the best of both and you’d have a player.

Ned however has great ‘character’. He’s a very likeable kid.

haha, alright - was a somewhat loose comparison to the last guy we had that floated from HF between the 50s. Tommy never really played to his frame though. Meant it more about the heatmap than the player, but was trying to keep it simple.

It's laughable you even mention Ned and Lynch in the same sentence, absolutely chalk and cheese in ability and skillset.

I would happily put money on the table but what metric could you possibly use to indicate success? This is the same club that gave Mackay 200 games.

He is fast becoming the luckiest guy in the side
He is not suited to HFF because he isn't fast enough to get separation from his opponent, not tall enough to out mark them and lacks any goal sense what so ever to put scoreboard pressure on.
If he is going to survive in the AFL on pressure acts, he needs to go to the back pocket because he doesn't have the skills to contribute anywhere else around the ground
But with the amount of free kicks he gives away, that may burn as well.

There is a positive in everyone
Yes I am a Ned fan and not necessarily happy with his current form if I do the singular and don’t consider others who more heat should come upon

Several positive traits about Ned
He just doesn’t go the tackle once. If there’s a pass off he goes again and again and will double team tackle
He doesn’t give up

He can roost it at near 50m

He is not darn slow

Congratulations, this is the new pack leader in the 'players who are weirdly coopted in our fan bases weird assertion that it's necessary to have Tom Lynch' stakes.

Some of our better players over the years didn't take off from the word go. Not every youngster is a Judd or Walsh. Still time for 2018 draftees.

Tyson Edwards. Drafted 1994. Played midfield 2000.

Richard Douglas. Drafted 2005. Played good footy in 2010.

Rory Sloane. Drafted 2008. Played midfield 2012

Simon Goodwin. Drafted 1995. Has some okay seasons at HB, and some poor ones. Broke out as a midfielder in 2000.

Bernie Vince. Drafted 2005. Played consistently in 2008, moved to midfield 2009.

Scott Thompson. Drafted 2000. Starting playing consistently in 2005. Full time mid in 2007.

There is a positive in everyone
Yes I am a Ned fan and not necessarily happy with his current form if I do the singular and don’t consider others who more heat should come upon

Several positive traits about Ned
He just doesn’t go the tackle once. If there’s a pass off he goes again and again and will double team tackle
He doesn’t give up

He can roost it at near 50m

He is not darn slow

That's a pretty bleak list of upsides.

Some of our better players over the years didn't take off from the word go. Not every youngster is a Judd or Walsh. Still time for 2018 draftees.

Does that mean Ben Davis is about to explode this year?

Tyson Edwards. Drafted 1994. Played midfield 2000.

Richard Douglas. Drafted 2005. Played good footy in 2010.

Rory Sloane. Drafted 2008. Played midfield 2012

Simon Goodwin. Drafted 1995. Has some okay seasons at HB, and some poor ones. Broke out as a midfielder in 2000.

Bernie Vince. Drafted 2005. Played consistently in 2008, moved to midfield 2009.

Scott Thompson. Drafted 2000. Starting playing consistently in 2005. Full time mid in 2007.
Now do you have a list of average players that got given chances, didn’t make it and were delisted or traded?

That's a pretty bleak list of upsides.

Does that mean Ben Davis is about to explode this year?
Seems unlikely. Most of the other guys listed were playing most weeks by then, even if not consistently well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back