Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably a nice guy but is average at best in speed, strength, disposal, decision making and converting in front of goal.

Can run all day, but I don't think in his first 50 games he's racked up 30+ yet? Might have been worth a first round pick if he'd gone to a club that could develop some additional weapons for him but we were too focused on his marathon running and great handwriting.

Can't have him and 4 other blokes the same height in the side at the same time unfortunately, we are just to small and in/under to damage teams on the counter or defensive exit and that's why we got destroyed in the 2nd half tonight.

In Tyson Edwards first 50 games, he had zero 30+ possession matches. It took till game 78 for him to reach his second 20+ game.
Andrew McLeod had zero 30+ possession games in his first 50. He had two 20+ games in that stretch.
Simon Goodwin also had zero 30+ games in his first 50. He had 4 20+ games.
Scott Thompson had 30+ for the first time in his 50th game.
Heck, Christian Petracca didn't clock up a 30+ possession till last year!

30+ is an unreasonable benchmark, as much as I think some of the points you make are valid concerns.

In Tyson Edwards first 50 games, he had zero 30+ possession matches. It took till game 78 for him to reach his second 20+ game.
Andrew McLeod had zero 30+ possession games in his first 50. He had two 20+ games in that stretch.
Simon Goodwin also had zero 30+ games in his first 50. He had 4 20+ games.
Scott Thompson had 30+ for the first time in his 50th game.
Heck, Christian Petracca didn't clock up a 30+ possession till last year!

30+ is an unreasonable benchmark, as much as I think some of the points you make are valid concerns.
I think that 30+ is a much more reasonable benchmark in 2022 than it was in 1996, given the difference in the game, fitness levels, and time spent on ground these days. But to be fair let's lower the bar for Ned to 20+ disposal games - he has had exactly 3 in his AFL career to date. Soligo has had 4 in his first year alone and averages more tackles per game to boot.

Petracca was criticised in his initial years for underperforming despite his potential but he was talented enough to play as a forward while Melbourne waited for him to grow into a midfielder (like we did with Dangerfield). McHenry doesn't have another attribute to fall back on. Unfortunately, as much as I like him, he can't get a pass mark if he's getting out-performed by first year players in his strongest areas - endurance and defensive pressure.

I can’t feel any optimism about what Ned could become.

He’s just a terrible footballer; feels like a work experience kid out there.

Even when he did a couple of good things in the first quarter v North, he actually stuffed them up.

He dropped a chest mark inside 50, but got lucky as the defender conceded a free.

Later that quarter he stupidly played on and put himself under pressure, thankfully Tex took a great mark from Ned’s scrubber kick to save the play.

That recruiting team netted us

Thilthorpe, Berry, Pedlar, Rachelle, Soligo, Taylor, Cook, Gollant, Nankervis etc

Looks like all of those will work.

Rowe was always stop gap. Yes there are faulty selections but as of the last two years, looks pretty promising.
Woah there.. long way to go before we can comfortably say Pedlar, Taylor, Cook, Gollant and Nankervis are even going to be 50 game AFL players (flash in the pan) let alone decent players.

I think that 30+ is a much more reasonable benchmark in 2022 than it was in 1996, given the difference in the game, fitness levels, and time spent on ground these days. But to be fair let's lower the bar for Ned to 20+ disposal games - he has had exactly 3 in his AFL career to date. Soligo has had 4 in his first year alone and averages more tackles per game to boot.

Petracca was criticised in his initial years for underperforming despite his potential but he was talented enough to play as a forward while Melbourne waited for him to grow into a midfielder (like we did with Dangerfield). McHenry doesn't have another attribute to fall back on. Unfortunately, as much as I like him, he can't get a pass mark if he's getting out-performed by first year players in his strongest areas - endurance and defensive pressure.
Why would we want him getting 30+………………… less is better

Did anyone else hear that Smith got Ned to do the team rev up a couple of weeks ago during a break?

Ned is obviously loved at the club and no one doubts his effort dedicatiom and intensity.

He just lacks strength, kicking penetration and footy smarts. He could improve these marginally over the years but I'm not confident that results in an effective long term contributor.. He will always be a bottom 6-8 player which we should be rotating between young players or good role players.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mackay had ability, Ned doesn't, never has, never will. Should not have been gifted 50 games and will get pushed to permanent SANFL as the team grows.

Maybe, but so long as Ned is being gifted games undeserved, he is stalling the progress of team growth and protects his spot against your inevitable.

Did anyone else hear that Smith got Ned to do the team rev up a couple of weeks ago during a break?

Ned is obviously loved at the club and no one doubts his effort dedicatiom and intensity.

He just lacks strength, kicking penetration and footy smarts. He could improve these marginally over the years but I'm not confident that results in an effective long term contributor.. He will always be a bottom 6-8 player which we should be rotating between young players or good role players.

Was that the North game? One of our worst performances for the year if it was. The changing captain each fortnight was a stupid idea and hasn't worked. Merely done to protect Sloane's feelings from getting hurt. Just appoint Dawson as captain and Laird as vice thanks.

Depends on our FWD set up in 2023.

Thilthorpe Fog Rankine
McAdam Walker Rachele

If we land that forward setting I don't mind McHenry being used solely as a pest of a fwd.

The issue is carrying Murphy, McHenry and Rowe.
Here's an interesting question - say Sloane comes back around the same time he got injured this past season. Would you prefer to have Rory or Ned in the side, as that 7th forward that can apply pressure? Ned is younger, but Sloane could potentially be more positively productive

Neither is not an option, in this case

Here's an interesting question - say Sloane comes back around the same time he got injured this past season. Would you prefer to have Rory or Ned in the side, as that 7th forward that can apply pressure? Ned is younger, but Sloane could potentially be more positively productive

Neither is not an option, in this case

Great question. To be honest, I would lean Ned to start. Younger, more of a pest. Use him to free up Rankine/Rachele and apply pressure.

Whilst I am not overly hopeful, Ned enters 2023 with 5 preseasons and 50 games under his belt.

Also depends on the Rory Sloane we get. Was in decline and struggling for his spot earlier this year and will be another year older after an ACL.

I think it will crazy how talented our forward line will be in 2023. We will be the reverse Crows of 2005/2006. We will need a forward pest like Collingwood have Beau McReery, Demons have Charlie Spargo, Geelong has Close/Miers.

We tend to remember the late-career version of DMack, where he was being gifted games he probably did not deserve.

But remember he was pick 48! In his third season on our list he was a very important player, as a running half-back link man.

He regularly had more than 20 disposals, including 2 games of 30 - one of these was in a semi-final against Collingwood. He had a higher tackle count than Ned, less FA, more FF, many more marks and similar GA playing out of defence.

Ned can only dream of matching what DMack produced early in his career.

Even in his last few seasons, where the BF pundits were calling for DMack to be dumped (and I was one of those), his contribution to the team was greater than what Ned is bringing on a weekly basis now.

In the sanfl...
Ned would be an asset to the sanfl team he can show the kids how to try hard

That says more about Smith than Ned..
Neither will be in our nxt top 4 team.

Depends on our FWD set up in 2023.

Thilthorpe Fog Rankine
McAdam Walker Rachele

If we land that forward setting I don't mind McHenry being used solely as a pest of a fwd.

The issue is carrying Murphy, McHenry and Rowe.
Who is Ned pestering exactly? This is a myth... no opposition could give a shyt about him.
He doesn't have the strength to bother anyone and to make it worse has rubbish skills to be able to aid the team offensively.
He's not AFL standard, it's that simple.

Who is Ned pestering exactly? This is a myth... no opposition could give a shyt about him.
He doesn't have the strength to bother anyone and to make it worse has rubbish skills to be able to aid the team offensively.
He's not AFL standard, it's that simple.

Couldn't agree more.
Seemed to have dropped a yard or two in pace this season(injury?). Spends most of his time loping from player to player like a teased dog chasing a Frisbee.
Rarely gets to the player before the ball comes sailing back over his head and when he does its only a 25%- chance he affects the play with any meaningful sort of pressure.

I can't knock his work rate, but it's mainly a stupid,ineffectual application of energy. He hasn't much idea about where to be, when to go,where to go or how to make good use of all that hyperactivity/stamina inside him.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back