Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a game where he came on as the sub and did have an impact with fresh legs. Mind you, that’s the whole point of the sub when injury/timing allows it to be used tactically.

For Murphy I think he’s kicked a bag once or twice while applying good tackling pressure.

In both cases I’m stretching though, and it sure does not happen often.
Got coaches votes as a starter vs freo too did he not?

Apart from that not much else though.

2024​
6*​
7.0​
3.2​
10.2​
4.0​
0.5​
0.2​
2.7​
0​
0.7​
0.5​
0.2​
1.0​
0.3​
2.0​
1.2​
2023​
11*​
6.8​
5.1​
11.9​
3.5​
0.4​
0​
1.2​
0​
0.7​
1.4​
0.6​
1.8​
0.4​
2.7​
0.6​
2022​
20​
5.8​
6.6​
12.4​
2.4​
0.7​
0.3​
3.3​
0​
1.6​
1.8​
0.5​
2.5​
0.6​
3.4​
0.7​
2021​
21*​
5.7​
6.6​
12.3​
2.6​
0.5​
0.3​
3.1​
0​
1.0​
1.8​
0.4​
1.3​
0.6​
3.2​
0.2​
2020​
8​
3.9​
5.4​
9.2​
2.1​
0​
0.5​
2.9​
0​
1.2​
1.5​
0​
1.1​
0.8​
3.0​
0.4​
Career
66*​

Those figures are fairly ordinary - even with 9 games activated sub they just dont impact

These are his highlights - all from 2021

● 2nd among rising stars in Total Clangers in 2021 ● 3rd among rising stars in Total Score Involvements in 2021
● 4th among rising stars in Total Goal Assists in 2021 ● 5th among rising stars in Total Tackles in 2021

I look at those figures and I wonder if a rookie/draftee could do worse - and yes some games the draftee may suck but you are not going to have a dead space on the ground

The experiment is over . Play draftees in his role

I don't want him in the side, but I'm trying to be objective with this question.

Why is he in the side so regularly with such little statistical impact and my eye test shows he doesn't seem up to the level.

I'd rather understand why instead of just being mean and am genuinely curious to the justification for a sustained period of low output.

I assume its something with his fitness and pressure acts. (Yes I know he's small and his tackles get broken regularly.)

Does anyone have access to these analytics or know where to find them? Stuff like pressure acts and broken tackles?

I don't want him in the side, but I'm trying to be objective with this question.

Why is he in the side so regularly with such little statistical impact and my eye test shows he doesn't seem up to the level.

I'd rather understand why instead of just being mean and am genuinely curious to the justification for a sustained period of low output.

I assume its something with his fitness and pressure acts. (Yes I know he's small and his tackles get broken regularly.)

Does anyone have access to these analytics or know where to find them? Stuff like pressure acts and broken tackles?
It’s the shape, man.

He works hard and does exactly what he's told to do, which is exactly what the coaches are looking for in a player. Creativity and ability are of secondary importance when compared to a player's ability to rigidly stick to the process implemented by the coaches without questioning. Same as any corporate job.

He works hard and does exactly what he's told to do, which is exactly what the coaches are looking for in a player. Creativity and ability are of secondary importance when compared to a player's ability to rigidly stick to the process implemented by the coaches without questioning. Same as any corporate job.
So the coaches are instructing him to drop marks, miss targets by hand and foot, give away silly frees, not stick tackles?

So the coaches are instructing him to drop marks, miss targets by hand and foot, give away silly frees, not stick tackles?
Lilly Singh A Little Late Night GIF by A Little Late With Lilly Singh

The coaches are instructing him to run to certain positions for different scenarios, run with particular players, and perform certain actions without the ball.

The other stuff doesn't actually matter, because it's not as important as correctly following the process - and if everyone correctly followed the process like Ned does, all the other stuff would be fixed anyway.

Most corporate environments are exactly this toxic and incompetently led, though some are even worse, given the behaviour of the club in other areas matches the same profile it wouldn't surprise if the football department is just as bad.

I think it's three things personally. Caveat being that yeah I don't want him in the side either.

1) Diligent performance of a specific role. It's clear that part of the team structure that we use involves a high half-forward who is mobile around the ground and whose role is to provide forward pressure, deliver inside 50 as an extra connecting option and also provide an extra number at contests. This is also Murphy's role. Basically a forward-line player who can also be an extra roaming mid by utilising their running ability. McHenry covers a lot of ground and performs this role, which is probably never going to be a high possession role. The main issue for me is that he doesn't do enough damage with his possessions when he does get them, given that he's not in and under winning the ball too often. Same goes for Murphy although personally I think Murphy is better.

2) Energy and competitiveness. This one pretty much goes without saying but I think McHenry is an example-setter. Tackles pretty well, runs hard, brings energy off the bench etc.

3) Sunk cost - he's a moderately high draft pick they have invested in and still young-ish, and they are hoping that he will continue to develop alongside the rest of the group.

My attempt at a grand unified Ned McHenry theory.

Why is he in the side? Because he is Lachlan Murphy's understudy, and Murphy is still recovering from injury.

Why would Murphy be in the side? Probably the infamous "keeping shape". But not in the obvious way. Specifically, it allows Rankine and Rachele to both be in the side and roam freely/go completely AWOL. Helping cover for the aging Walker and mildly oafish Fogarty doesn't hurt either.

Why would Murphy be picked ahead of McHenry? After rigourous statistical analysis (skimming player ratings and quickly scanning for any patterns in his better games on AFLTables.) Murphy's better games all correspond to increased clearances and contested possession count from him. Basically he provides a passable emergency option at stoppages/on-ball for short periods, which is also something he can do while still "keeping shape". It gives a lot more flexibility and/or injury coverage to deploy more effective players where needed.

McHenry has good/better games too. But they tend to be games where he gets a lot of uncontested ball and links play/provides options through his gut running. It's kind of an either/or with his primary role in this regard.

Sorry, what?
it used to be true. His tackling dropped off badly in 2022. It's rebounded a bit, but still not at the standard of the other small forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, what?
He's obviously not one of our best tacklers like Laird or Berry but he's okay I would say, and he doesn't lack for effort which was more or less the point of that example. Again, I'm not saying McHenry is a good player, I'm saying he plays a role the club values and he sets an example with his effort, which is an explanation for why he gets picked.

Injury is the major reason. Last year we preferred Murphy here, who for the most part, was a productive bottom forward.

Why is McHenry in the 23-27 slots of our list? He'll work the lines hard which is something we want in our bottom slots, on top of offering some degree of toughness to a lineup - after all, this is a kid you can trust will put his head over the ball. Equally, you're at the slots of the lineup where it really is just about following instructions, and trying to find a niche that makes life as easy as possible for your main guys. Ned also benefits a touch from half forward being a weird position that most players who can play it end up moving away from which does allow less talented players to find a niche.

Will Ned be on our list next year? Probably not. Being in those 23-27 slots is usually a career death sentence after 5-6 years.

Still a spud and needs to get dropped and then delisted this year so Nicks can't play him.

For someone who sees so little of the ball, he fumbles every time he goes near it and misses key passes.

Yes, the slicers will get excited about 1 intercept and fair play but he is such a liability for us it isn't funny any more.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Still a spud and needs to get dropped and then delisted this year so Nicks can't play him.

For someone who sees so little of the ball, he fumbles every time he goes near it and misses key passes.

Yes, the slicers will get excited about 1 intercept and fair play but he is such a liability for us it isn't funny any more.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Terrible, terrible player. He’ll have a career in the media so no need to feel sorry for him when he hopefully gets delisted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back