Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

He kicked 4 goals in that match. Was kicking them from every where. I thought we have a gem here. But as usual they dont develop.

I wonder if the lack of development is because we prioritise things like running, effort, shape over things like skills, clean handling, decision making

I wonder if the lack of development is because we prioritise things like running, effort, shape over things like skills, clean handling, decision making

At this level you should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time in respect of running, effort, shape and also skills and clean handling

At this level you should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time in respect of running, effort, shape and also skills and clean handling

Exactly, it's the difference in time and space that you get at AFL level compared to the state leagues, there's been plenty of players with composure at the lower level who don't cut it at the higher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At what point did Ned McHenry switch from "talented young player that needs to be backed in", to "boys club favourite who holds his spot against all logic"?

He's basically been the same player since game 1 as he is now, and has been in or around the matchday squad for the overwhelming majority of that time. So it should be easier to identify the transition point with him than anyone else.

At what point did Ned McHenry switch from "talented young player that needs to be backed in", to "boys club favourite who holds his spot against all logic"?

He's basically been the same player since game 1 as he is now, and has been in or around the matchday squad for the overwhelming majority of that time. So it should be easier to identify the transition point with him than anyone else.
The real trick is predicting the BF tipping point with a young player. Some are really hard to see coming, like Parnell for example. Moved from 'exciting young option who has only played a few games' to 'washed up useless hack keeping X out of the team' overnight.

Ned and Murphy are the epitome of the Nicks coaching philosophy.

The reason they are selected is they represent what is most important to Nicks from a coaching philosophy perspective.

He's said so on a number of occasions.

Paraphrasimg but he's quoted as saying give me a team of "effort" players and I'll take that every day of the week.

I'm fairness in that same interview he did also say that he's changed his mind a little and see the importance of needing guys that are skillful and can finish.

He still has a deep seeded belief that guys like Ned and Murphy are all you need.

The real trick is predicting the BF tipping point with a young player. Some are really hard to see coming, like Parnell for example. Moved from 'exciting young option who has only played a few games' to 'washed up useless hack keeping X out of the team' overnight.
This is true. I think it could be a good challenge, like the old encrypted rumour thread, to guess the next boys club member each season.

I did go early on Parnell. I think once he got to AFL level, opposition teams immediately identified that his kicking style was more "weirdly specific" than "elite". But I did not respect the defensive side of his game.

I called Luke Pedlar making the transition a month ago. But I think all parties can withdraw from that one on the "affected by serious injury" caveat.

Im not really sure there were many saying Parnell was an exciting young option.
People said he was a good user of the ball but as soon as he played AFL you could see he wasn’t anything special in that regard and he offers nothing else as a point of difference.

Last edited:
Im not really sure there were many saying he was an exciting young option.
People said he was a good user of the ball but as soon as he played AFL you could see he wasn’t anything special in that regard and he offers nothing else as a point of difference.
Yeah I agree. I went back and had a look and there's not a lot of positivity about McHenry except prior to his debut when there's some angst about him not getting a game in 2019 as well as lot of understandable positive speculation about how good he might be.

That does expose an issue with the 'play the kids' mentality on this board I think - everyone is a potential superstar until they play AFL if you primarily just watch the AFL team and an occasional SANFL game, which is what most people on here do. They're a blank slate who could be anything.

You can see in hindsight why they didn't pick McHenry for more than a year (he's not all that good).

Yeah I agree. I went back and had a look and there's not a lot of positivity about McHenry except prior to his debut when there's some angst about him not getting a game in 2019 as well as lot of understandable positive speculation about how good he might be.

That does expose an issue with the 'play the kids' mentality on this board I think - everyone is a potential superstar until they play AFL if you primarily just watch the AFL team and an occasional SANFL game, which is what most people on here do. They're a blank slate who could be anything.

You can see in hindsight why they didn't pick McHenry for more than a year (he's not all that good).
Sorry my post was about Parnell

Im not really sure there were many saying he was an exciting young option.
Parnell
Most were concerned about his light frame . When he was selected I saw him at the pre-game and mentioned his leg stability strength . But he is a trier who is still light in frame and just hasnt cemented a spot. Probably one of those 1990s star who is now the wrong size/shape

McHenry
I think the most consistent thing posters said was ''unregistered dog''

Lot of energy but no control. We were all waiting for that control to come in and it really hasnt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back