Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Ned was not one of our worst for most of the game, but I thought his last quarter was quite good. He had the energy while others were tired. To me he makes a great sub. If he was sub instead of Nank today, I suspect we would have won.

Lol
The hatred from this game?

Besides the missed shot in the 2nd what did he do wrong

(Some idiot that watched on tv): he ran around like a headless chook into and out of trouble in defence in the second. (Ignoring the fact that if he didn't do that he's kicking to a 3 on 0 and handing brisbane an easy shot on goal)

The hatred is due to the fact he is a bog average player - not something you'd expect from a player drafted in the first round.

After 60 or so games he averages 11 disposals per game, 0.5 goals per game and 2.8 tackles per game.

He should decide that fishing is his love and get out.

Lol

(Some idiot that watched on tv): he ran around like a headless chook into and out of trouble in defence in the second. (Ignoring the fact that if he didn't do that he's kicking to a 3 on 0 and handing brisbane an easy shot on goal)
If I find time I might watch the replay and point out all the moments of stupidity. But the worst moment off the top of my head was a ball that was kicked long to a contest spills down to the front, Rankine attacks the ball to pick it up and rebound at speed, as he's about to get to the footy McPotato runs in front of him to get in the way, the ball bounces off McPotato in to the hands of a Lions player, who then go forward with numbers everywhere and at speed. He has no game awareness, no ability to read the play, and he is so often in the wrong spot and will disrupt a positive ball movement, especially when it's in tight and we're attempting to go from inside to the outside. Oh and there was that horrendous decision to not give the first option to Rash strolling toward an open goal. Taken down and pinned HTB.

The Adelaide Football Corporation continues to roll on, another employee of the month certificate and a pizza day for Ned McHenry for following the process better than everyone else

I think he does well to get the ball and think, Good Ned,
And then when he goes to dispose of it, oh Bad Ned
We have had to endure the continued selection of some absolute spuds over the last 10 to 15 years but I'm not sure I have the staying power to endure 200+ games of McHenry and Jones.

It’s not Ned’s fault where he was drafted but he and Chayce typify Adelaide’s seeming drafting obsession of trying to be smarter than everyone else in the room. Like there was something magical there that only we could see and no-one else could.

Imagine if we had Butters and Drew instead of Jones and McHenry. **** me, this club sometimes.

Lol

He was comfortably in our worst 4 players. Again. Just like virtually every game where he is in the starting 22. It didn’t really stand out as being that much worse than normal from Ned, but only because it was him.

It also surprised nobody, including himself, when he missed from 9m out. There are children under 12 who would kick that goal 9 times out of 10. No AFL right footer, outside of some ruckmen and key defenders, would miss from there with such predictability.

I also enjoyed Ned’s shirtfront on Rankine in the 1st quarter as Rankine was gathering the ball which directly led to a Lions goal. And Ned’s 8m kick to a leading Tex which nobody could believe was play on.

As for not having any other options apart from running around in circles and making a fool of himself in defensive 50 - would Dawson or Rankine or Nankervis or Michalanney have had other options if they gathered the ball in that situation? Or would they have all either run around like an idiot or turned it over by foot? Switching play was an option. Running and handballing to someone else was an option. Kicking to a one on one near the boundary was an option. But not for Ned, because he’s terrible.

Worst 4 today:

McHenry
Tex
Keane
Curtin
Honourable mentions: Smith, Butts and Jones

Next week, if McHenry is inexplicably selected to play again at this level that is completely beyond his capabilities, there’ll probably be 3 different names in that list of our 4 worst on the day, but Ned will stay there, put the house on it. He was putrid. Completely and utterly putrid, and he’s a walking embodiment of the mediocrity that is Matthew Nicks, who may pretty soon break an all time record for most AFL games coached without making finals. I don’t know what that record number of games is, but if we keep the dunce in his role until the end of this ridiculous contract extension, he will surely have smashed it.

I didn’t think he was THAT bad today, but he’s clearly one of our weakest links

Not sure what he’s doing as of present to have a spot in the side on lock

Comfortable bottom 4?

Curtin Cook Keane butts were bottom 4.

And I can see arguments for walker, nankervis, michaleney, keays and Jones too being worse than mchenry.

He wasn’t that bad today, but that’s the thing. If this was his good, what did he do today that made you think yeah, this is an AFL player?

Also funnily enough on the space keeper role. I noticed today there was a moment where we had the ball just forward of the wing, Ned put in a hard lead, presumably meant to be a decoy, not a single Brisbane player went near him. Two minutes later, the ball was in the exact same spot, Rachele did the exact same lead and the defender was right up his arse, Rachele’s lead actually created space because the oppo was concerned what would happen if he got the ball. On the other hand they evidently couldn’t give two shits if Ned gets it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Comfortable bottom 4?

And I can see arguments for walker, nankervis, michaleney, keays and Jones too being worse than mchenry.
There is no planet on which Cook was worse than McHenry today. They had the ball the same number of times. One did a bunch of dumb stuff, gave away 2 frees (one of which was vintage Ned stupidity) and missed an easy shot for goal. The other used the ball extremely well.

There is also no argument for Keays being worse than McHenry today (2 goal assists and 6 tackles alone takes care of that), and it’s pretty harsh to lump Nankervis in here, when he comes on at half time and receives 0% game time on the wing where he so blatantly belongs.

Regardless, Ned’s career is fast coming to an end, and surely, surely they can’t keep picking him, or offer him a contract. It’s embarrassing at this point.

I have scoured the records, and have turned up the following who are before my time and/or that I've never heard:
  • Scott Lee
  • Greg Anderson
  • David Brown
  • Brett Chalmers
  • Chris Ladhams
Umm you realise that Greg Anderson was a two time AA?

David Brown and Scott Lee had outstanding careers at SANFL level while also being solid AFL players.

Comfortable bottom 4?

Come on, mate. Curtin, yes. The others, you're kidding. Keays in particular had a great game.

McHenry had one of his better games this year, but it was still filled with unfortunate mishaps and fumbles/miskicks at critical times. When the chips are down, he just can't quite deliver.

People do know that if mchenry goes out then murphy comes in. Don't pretend it would be any different. and I'd prefer the former.
I'm taking Murphy in that deal. Neither of them will make it as an AFL standard player, but I've seen Murphy convert basic set shots and weave through traffic and hit a target. Not regularly, but I have seen it.

Murphy's ceiling is just ever so slightly higher. They're both hobbit house ceilings, though.

He's out of contract at the end of this year. Every morning I wake up in fear that today will be the day they announce his re-signing.
He signed an extension before the season

They're just waiting for a good game to announce it

The thing about Ned is he will never be anything more than the 16th best player in any given game

We have carried players like that for years. Low ceiling, low risk players - but forget the low risk part.

I would much rather that low ceiling role go to a developing player who has a trajectory which means they might become a top 10 player for us.

Which is what Ned would have been when he started with us .. then was unable to make the grade. So he gets set aside and we start again.

The thing about Ned is he will never be anything more than the 16th best player in any given game

We have carried players like that for years. Low ceiling, low risk players - but forget the low risk part.

I would much rather that low ceiling role go to a developing player who has a trajectory which means they might become a top 10 player for us.

Which is what Ned would have been when he started with us .. then was unable to make the grade. So he gets set aside and we start again.
Yep #opportunitycost

Remove this Banner Ad

Back