Society/Culture Neoliberalism

Remove this Banner Ad

Like Communism, Neoliberalism is handicapped by being a movement that is too ideological. As mentioned earlier, I too think it is a path to feudalism.

This article:

https://medium.economist.com/a-manifesto-for-renewing-liberalism-8d36c9699649

(Click through to the full essay if you have the time)

is a great read for the true liberals out there. It's a little light on detail but it's thinking is in the right place.
Nothing wrong with ideology. In fact anything that is not ideological is illogical andinconsistent. The problem with communism and libertarianism (neoliberalism isnt actually a thing) is their ideologies were wildly wrong.

Its pretty ironic that Tef started this thread and was all for neoliberalism by the time he got booted.

Also Ironic that The Road to Serfdom is secretly an instruction manual but there you go.

How is neoliberalism not “actually a thing” 🤷‍♂️
There is no neoliberal group. No one calls themselves neo liberalists. There is no neo liberal economic ideology.

There are libertarians whose economic agenda most closely matches what people often call neoliberalism. And i definately think we should call out the dumb economic ideology of libertarians. But its not the same thing as many other complaints about economics termed neoliberalism which are based off mistaken intention and poor understanding of how economics actually works.

There is no neoliberal group. No one calls themselves neo liberalists. There is no neo liberal economic ideology.

There are libertarians whose economic agenda most closely matches what people often call neoliberalism. And i definately think we should call out the dumb economic ideology of libertarians. But its not the same thing as many other complaints about economics termed neoliberalism which are based off mistaken intention and poor understanding of how economics actually works.
Justin Timberlake Eye Roll GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs

Of course, the Chicago schoolers fit the bill as well

Of course, the Chicago schoolers fit the bill as well
True. They are a close match to what i think people often refer to as neoliberalism. But dont really think they exist anymore. Atleast not in economic circles. The good arguments from the chicago school have been merged with the good arguments from keynesianism. The bad arguments of both are now rejected.

Last edited:
True. They are a close match to what i think people often refer to as neoliberalism. But dont really think they exist anymore. Atleast not in economic circles. The good arguments from the chicago school have been merged with the good arguments from keynesianism. The bad arguments of both are now rejected.
Yeh it's been great to see all those natural monopolies being re-nationalised, austerity measures being thrown out and the like. I guess you could view the trade war with china being a re-regulation of capital markets but that would be a long bow.

Which bad arguments of neoliberalism and keynesianism did you have in mind?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back