News New Jumpers for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

A Blues 160th anniversary heritage jumper will be released in July, ahead of the Rd 22 game against Hawthorn in which it will be worn.

Interesting, I imagine they’ll go for something with an older monogram, 1910-1926 style most likely, but it would be really cool to see them go back even further. The 1873-1879 style plain blue with a monogram watermark would be unique in its own way, but the chamois yoke design to commemorate joining the VFL would be awesome too given the move to the VFL is what ended up solidifying all those clubs as top level footy clubs in the long run (bar the obvious instances for some clubs). Would be hard to imagine that the AFL would rule out being able to wear that against the yellow based Hawthorn either. That being said, I fully expect to see something honouring the past rather than a past design. I think 150 years was the first time they brought back the monogram they use now in the modern era so we won’t see a repeat of that. It’ll be interesting to see what they go with regardless.

Interesting, I imagine they’ll go for something with an older monogram, 1910-1926 style most likely, but it would be really cool to see them go back even further. The 1873-1879 style plain blue with a monogram watermark would be unique in its own way, but the chamois yoke design to commemorate joining the VFL would be awesome too given the move to the VFL is what ended up solidifying all those clubs as top level footy clubs in the long run (bar the obvious instances for some clubs). Would be hard to imagine that the AFL would rule out being able to wear that against the yellow based Hawthorn either. That being said, I fully expect to see something honouring the past rather than a past design. I think 150 years was the first time they brought back the monogram they use now in the modern era so we won’t see a repeat of that. It’ll be interesting to see what they go with regardless.

They first brought back the chunky monogram in 2005 for the last game at Princes Park:

Carlton-2005-PP.gif

They first brought back the chunky monogram in 2005 for the last game at Princes Park:

Carlton-2005-PP.gif
Had a feeling there was another use of it, though at least to me that feels like it’s from its own distinct era. I’d say the 2013 use is what eventually resulted in it becoming the home jumper again.

Carlton-2005-PP.gif
Unrelated question but why did Carlton go from Princess Park to Marvel Stadium as their home ground and not the MCG? Carlton are a bigger club than Melbourne and Hawthorn. Never really made sense to me.

Unrelated question but why did Carlton go from Princess Park to Marvel Stadium as their home ground and not the MCG? Carlton are a bigger club than Melbourne and Hawthorn. Never really made sense to me.
mcg is our traditional home, but hawks were a good team at the time, now though the blues should be at the g and hawks at marvel

Money would of affected carltons moved, similar to the bombers.
I think timing, momey and capacity would of affected the decision of each club

I always thought it had something to do with the geography with Melbourne, Hawthorn, Collingwood and Richmond all being very directly close to the MCG. For Carlton, North and WB, Marvel is more "down the road" from their traditional home grounds vs cutting across the city.

I always thought it had something to do with the geography with Melbourne, Hawthorn, Collingwood and Richmond all being very directly close to the MCG. For Carlton, North and WB, Marvel is more "down the road" from their traditional home grounds vs cutting across the city.
Then there's St Kilda

With Carlton there was a link to Ian Collins who was involved at Carlton and Docklands. Can't remember the ins and outs of it all, but that's my recollection

Carlton went to a Marvel cause they got a great deal from the CEO at the time….

“On 13 April 2006, Collins announced he would step down as president of the Carlton Football Club due to ill health and by the pressures of juggling two demanding jobs between his time as Carlton Football Club President and his time as CEO of Docklands Stadium”

With Carlton there was a link to Ian Collins who was involved at Carlton and Docklands. Can't remember the ins and outs of it all, but that's my recollection

I remember seeing many many moons ago, a publication making note of the fact COLONIAL is an anagram of IAN COLLO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back