Newcastle United Jets Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: FFA Call Press Conference Regarding Newcastle for 12:30

Constantine is holding a presser at 3pm EST.

Really hope this isn't the end for the Jets. It's one thing for a team on the Gold Coast to fall over, but in the Football heartland that is Newcastle this would be a terrible blow to the A-League.

Breaking News from TWG's Facebook page:

Newcastle Jets will continue in the A-League under new ownership after local businessman Nathan Tinkler took the reins from Con Constantine today, the FFA has announced.

Fantastic news! :thumbsu:

• Banned

From what a can gather, Tinkler is a horse owner, relatively young?

Out of all the outcomes, this is by far the best.

Well done Newcastle.

From what a can gather, Tinkler is a horse owner, relatively young?

He was a tradesman that struck it big with small time mining shares before the boom. Pumped a hell of a lot of money into the racing industry. Both racing and football are tough industries to make money in.

Great news. Thank god for cashed up leisure boys who made it big in the boom like this guy and Sage.

Well done to Nathan Tinkler :thumbsu:

"My family and I have been supporters of the Newcastle Jets for years, and we are delighted to be able to step in and support the club for the city of Newcastle,” Nathan Tinkler said.

"I urge all of the Hunter community to get behind the Jets and show their support by showing up for the games and becoming members of the club.“We are keen to get as many sponsors on board as possible. Newcastle deserves a top-class A-League team, and we are keen to help rebuild the club for the city.“I have faith in the A-League and the concept of the national competition, and I expect Newcastle will play a big role in that future.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27742658-5000940,00.html

Great news. Thank god for cashed up leisure boys who made it big in the boom like this guy and Sage.

The difference between Sage and most of the other owners is that Tony was a huge Glory fan before he took over. He went to games and already bled purple.

Although I think Con was a big fan as well, but clearly their are huge problems with the club that he couldn't deal with. Hopefully this new bloke can change a few things, get a better stadium deal, and turn the Jets around.

Next problem.....Palmer FC, can't see him in it for the long term. Hopefully their is a plan for when he gets bored and pulls out.

Sometimes you have businessmen who have insight into football, and actually knows what it takes to make a club strong and successful. The late Paolo Mantovani at Sampdoria was a good example of this.

Con Constantine, for my money, ranks right up there with Tom Cowie (Sunderland), Charlie Amer (Middlesbrough) and Robert Chase (Norwich), all of whom left their respective clubs in tatters. The similarities there- especially in terms of asset stripping- were uncanny.

Clive Palmer is a real life Eric Cartman. His resemblance is striking. He even copied the Cartmanland marketing strategy down to a tee, without the same success because people aren't exactly queuing up!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As long as he isn't another Palmer im happy and it has given the FFA some breathing space with their finances.

SEN also talked about a German maybe being signed up by him. I can't remember the name of the top of my head but they said he has had injury problems is really talented and likes to hit up the nightclubs.

Good stuff, Tinkler made it free for U15's last week so hopefully he continues to implement these strategies to engage the community back to EAS.

Tinkler is also a heavy backer of the Newcastle Knights, perhaps he can broker a better stadium deal for the Jets so it's possible to make a profit to keep them viable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back