Nick Lower

Remove this Banner Ad

Dark Wee

Team Captain
Mar 31, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
So, we all know that coaches have their favourites. Or maybe just an above and below the line list.
Harves seemed to have Nick Lower above the line (sure, it was from a limited list).

I can't help thinking that RTB has Nick Lower below the line.

I always quite liked Nick's work on the ball around stoppages. Pretty darn good extractor and not a bad kick from my memory.

Just wondering what people thought about his 2013.

Post, flame, troll with abandon.
Yes, it's the offseason.

xo.

He hasn't had a 2013 and his 2012 was an injury-riddled mess coming from off-season surgery.

Our midfield/stoppages coach Mark Stone rates him very highly though so it will be an interesting battle next pre-season for spots.

Nick had his chances this year, but managed to get himself suspended or injured at unfortunate times. Couldn't force his way back in once our top line on-ballers started coming back in, and De Boer and Clancee were holding their own.

Would be stunned if Ross was to let him go. Nick was a very good extractor, but not a great kick. The main issue I can remember is that he didn't tend to lay tackles in the open field... he would if it was close but I don't remember many chase-downs. He probably needs to improve his defensive running to push his way back in, and with Fyfe, Barlow, Mundy, Hill, Crowley and De Boer all potential onballers he's got a few blokes to push out of the way. Won't be easy, but the depth is surely handy.

Nick had his chances this year, but managed to get himself suspended or injured at unfortunate times. Couldn't force his way back in once our top line on-ballers started coming back in, and De Boer and Clancee were holding their own.

Would be stunned if Ross was to let him go. Nick was a very good extractor, but not a great kick. The main issue I can remember is that he didn't tend to lay tackles in the open field... he would if it was close but I don't remember many chase-downs. He probably needs to improve his defensive running to push his way back in, and with Fyfe, Barlow, Mundy, Hill, Crowley and De Boer all potential onballers he's got a few blokes to push out of the way. Won't be easy, but the depth is surely handy.
see, that's interesting. I thought he seemed to fit a pretty good mold for RTB;s game plan. Slight lack of speed etc not withstanding. Hard to fault his effort (I wouldn't want to be holding the ball with him within 5m). But was kind of hoping RTB might elevate his playing to become a better all round footballer, similar to Clancee, MW et al.

I dunno, maybe I'm just clutching at some 2011 nuggets that can be injected into 2013. Don't get me started on Morab...

Lower didn't have a preseason, wasn't even fit to play any football I think the first part of the season. When he did come back he had niggles, concussed and suspended, not to mention learning the RL game plan at the same time. As before, he gets a full pre-season in it would not surprise me he starts Round 1 in 2013.

see, that's interesting. I thought he seemed to fit a pretty good mold for RTB;s game plan. Slight lack of speed etc not withstanding. Hard to fault his effort (I wouldn't want to be holding the ball with him within 5m). But was kind of hoping RTB might elevate his playing to become a better all round footballer, similar to Clancee, MW et al.

I dunno, maybe I'm just clutching at some 2011 nuggets that can be injected into 2013. Don't get me started on Morab...

To be honest, I'd like to see the young guys get more games next year. Guys like Sheridan, Sutcliffe, Crozier, Neale (and finally) Forster are a likely source of further improvement next year.

I honestly hope Ross doesn't do a St Kilda and keep guys like Mzungu, Ibbo and Suban in the team by default... (i.e. more experienced guys, with bigger bodies that know their role, but have much less room for improvement). They may be better than the young guys for a while, but the younger guys needs the experience at AFL level to get better, and we'll need those guys to add the talent we need to beat the top teams in the coming years.

Except for Walters, very few of the young blokes got a shot at the back end of the season. Obviously it's hard to force a bloke into a team that's playing well... but hopefully the younger guys will get their opportunities next season. They got chances this year, but none of them (except for Neale at the start and Walters at the end) became regulars. Hopefully we'll see more new faces consistently in the team next year.

Lower didn't have a preseason, wasn't even fit to play any football I think the first part of the season. When he did come back he had niggles, concussed and suspended, not to mention learning the RL game plan at the same time. As before, he gets a full pre-season in it would not surprise me he starts Round 1 in 2013.

Yeah it sounds like Ross didn't like to drop reasonably performing incumbents. Think a few border line players like Pearce, Mzungu, Deboer etc are going to have to work harder next year to get in the first 22 or stay there

To be honest, I'd like to see the young guys get more games next year. Guys like Sheridan, Sutcliffe, Crozier, Neale (and finally) Forster are a likely source of further improvement next year.

I honestly hope Ross doesn't do a St Kilda and keep guys like Mzungu, Ibbo and Suban in the team by default... (i.e. more experienced guys, with bigger bodies that know their role, but have much less room for improvement). They may be better than the young guys for a while, but the younger guys needs the experience at AFL level to get better.

Except for Walters, very few of the young blokes got a shot at the back end of the season. Obviously it's hard to force a bloke into a team that's playing well... but hopefully the younger guys will get their opportunities next season. They got chances this year, but none of them (except for Neale at the start and Walters at the end) became regulars. Hopefully we'll see more new faces consistently in the team next year.

All our players young or old have room for improvement, take this year for example. These players you mention are not old by any stretch of the imagination, I completely disagree that we should play young players just because they lack experience. RL makes them work for it and he's rewarded it this year, not sure he needs to do any more than that.

I would however trade Ibbo and Suban :)

That's not true. He was running at the same time as Ibbo, well before Fyfe and Mundy and headed into round 1 in better shape than Barlow. He was suspended for the first 2 games.

That's not true. He was running at the same time as Ibbo, well before Fyfe and Mundy and headed into round 1 in better shape than Barlow. He was suspended for the first 2 games.
I seem to recall they wanted to pick Lower at one point and couldn't because he hadn't had enough game time in the Wafl. And when he was ready to get picked he got injured or concussed so the decided to try Deboer and Mayne in the midfield. In the end Deboer did ok, Mayne stayed in the forward line and Lower was in and out of the wafl with concussion and then they didn't want to play him anymore.

I'm pretty sure his shoulder wasn't right, he may have been running but that's not much. Forgot the suspension though..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I seem to recall they wanted to pick Lower at one point and couldn't because he hadn't had enough game time in the Wafl. And when he was ready to get picked he got injured or concussed so the decided to try Deboer and Mayne in the midfield. In the end Deboer did ok, Mayne stayed in the forward line and Lower was in and out of the wafl with concussion and then they didn't want to play him anymore.

I remember this too. I also remember drinking too much tonight.

If he's fit he will get opportunities. I've always seen him as a 100% effort 100% of the time type player, RTBs favourite type. Really like him, I think he will be a bit of a revelation next year, injuries permitting. Midfield rotation next year looks particularly strong if you factor in Sandi. The kids from last years draft should only play if they earn it imo, no free swings.

I'm pretty sure his shoulder wasn't right, he may have been running but that's not much. Forgot the suspension though..

Ibbotson, Fyfe and Lower all had shoulder ops at the same time. Lower was doing full training well before Fyfe was. He suffered a quad injury at training from memory just before he was able to play his first WAFL game.

Have a look through some of the NAB cup games where posters were querying why Lower wasn't getting a game when he was in full training.

Feel free to send him back to Port if you guys don't want him.

Wont happen. You had your chance. :)

He just had a messed up season as said above. Injuries, suspension, the head thing. He'll be back in the fold next season. However, he wont get many games if he can't/doesn't build up his running power. I think Ross would love what Lower brings, but if he can't push up and down the ground strongly through 4 quarters (Mzungu style) then he might struggle to fit in. Barring injuries, it's going to be tough to break into this team.

It's maybe controversial, but he's a trade option.

There's really not many spots up for grabs for his type of role. The only player I could see him replacing is Pearce.

And for all the roaring about Mzungu, there's no way he will be dropped until you can find us a player capable of 4 quarters of gut running. He's best 18 ATM., maybe he'd even be top 10 of first players picked because of team balance.

I think I mentioned in another thread that I had a good chat with him a few weeks ago - as he said, he was unlucky and injured for a lot of the season and was writing it off. 'Ross likes us to get a few games under our belt before considering us'. Really nice guy, was relaxed and happy.

Someone like Menagola with exceptional running capacity is Hill and Mzungu's competition. Lower is competing with our inside ball winners like Mundy, Barlow, Fyfe and Pearce.

Ross on 6PR mid/late-season said Stone rates Lower highly and wanted him in the side asap. Don't expect Stone's impressions have changed so after a good pre-season I expect to see him back.

I remember when he did come in he played as an inside mid and our clearances went straight up (we were in our bad patch at the time). I am happy to have him in the team or at least first back up for the mids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back