Nick Riewoldt

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to agree that he is a strong show.
I love the way he has been playing recently - he has the freedom to roam through the defence and beginning our forward movements. No doubt he still has a role at CHF, but he has grown in stature again this year.

StKildonan said:
Have to agree that he is a strong show.
I love the way he has been playing recently - he has the freedom to roam through the defence and beginning our forward movements. No doubt he still has a role at CHF, but he has grown in stature again this year.

He is playing super football his effort in kicking 30 goals thus far is amazing considering the fact Fraser and Milne have both struggled and Kosi and Hammill are out.

I reckon he has had 3 BOG'S so far and a couple of minor points maybe a Brownlow shot, he is coming equal 2nd in the Herald Sun player of the year. It has been such an underated year for such a High Profile player.

You are invited to have your say.

The votes are a tally of everyone's thoughts each week.

Vote on the Sydney game

Rules:

This year's player of the year thread will be run by Sainter and StKildonan.

Voting this year will be Top 5 players on a 5-4-3-2-1 votes basis

We will accept other combinations as long as the highest vote is 5 points and the total number of votes cast does not exceed 15 pts

i.e. N. Riewoldt 5, N. Dal Santo 5, L. Ball 4, B. Voss 1.

No half points will be accepted.

This is specifically for St Kilda supporters, but foreign team supporters will be accepted (but their votes will be devalued if there is a tie).

All Saints supporters are encouraged to contribute, you do not need to have seen the game "live".

Votes will be tallied and presented in a table in another thread entitled "Player of the Year Table".

This thread will be updated Thursday nights - so get your votes in before then.

Dally has been more consistent than Rooey, hence his advantage in our votings. But I'm completely sure that, at this stage of their careers, Nick is a better player, not by a great margin though. We're really lucky to have them both at our team.

luke ball14 said:
He is playing super football his effort in kicking 30 goals thus far is amazing considering the fact Fraser and Milne have both struggled and Kosi and Hammill are out.

I reckon he has had 3 BOG'S so far and a couple of minor points maybe a Brownlow shot, he is coming equal 2nd in the Herald Sun player of the year. It has been such an underated year for such a High Profile player.

nah as champ as he is, he had a stellar 2004 and shoulda got the brownlow ahead of judd but barely got votes, sum ppl attract votes ala dal santo last yr sum ppl dont. dal santo is a shot i reckon this yr but he needs to step it up a notch int he second half of the season. he is a definite eye catcher with his silky skills and now goal scoring potential!

StKildonan said:
You are invited to have your say.

The votes are a tally of everyone's thoughts each week.

Vote on the Sydney game

Rules:

This year's player of the year thread will be run by Sainter and StKildonan.

Voting this year will be Top 5 players on a 5-4-3-2-1 votes basis

We will accept other combinations as long as the highest vote is 5 points and the total number of votes cast does not exceed 15 pts

i.e. N. Riewoldt 5, N. Dal Santo 5, L. Ball 4, B. Voss 1.

No half points will be accepted.

This is specifically for St Kilda supporters, but foreign team supporters will be accepted (but their votes will be devalued if there is a tie).

All Saints supporters are encouraged to contribute, you do not need to have seen the game "live".

Votes will be tallied and presented in a table in another thread entitled "Player of the Year Table".

This thread will be updated Thursday nights - so get your votes in before then.

yeh see his mark in the dying stages of the 4th quarter, won us the game probley, oh and can i become one of the people that vote for the best players

Oh no doubt Dal's an absolute GUN I just think Riewoldt's had a better year but Dal's played better in our losses than wins probably not boding well for his Brownlow chances'.

Mizza said:
can i become one of the people that vote for the best players

Of course you can Mizza. This is what its for - so that all Saints fans get together and vote on who was best. Everyone has a different perspective and we all have our favourites but mathematically when all this is put together the guys with the highest votes tally are probably the most deserving of votes.

StKildonan said:
Of course you can Mizza. This is what its for - so that all Saints fans get together and vote on who was best. Everyone has a different perspective and we all have our favourites but mathematically when all this is put together the guys with the highest votes tally are probably the most deserving of votes.
ok thanks for that

Just wondering what everyone thinks about where Kosi should play and what affect that will have on Riewodlt. I think Kosi gets the CHF position becuase he is a bit taller and stronger and therefore should be able to cope with a few on him every time a bit better than Riewodlt. This leaves Riewodlt in my opinion to lead up the ground and get marks on the lead. However, I still think he should push deep forward if he can exploit his opponent. Too often he gets double teamed or tripled teamed. Get him leading up onto the wing and then pushing deep forward and using his edurance to exploit his opponent. But if his he's having a field day against someone like Dawson keep him permanently deep.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nicko016 said:
Just wondering what everyone thinks about where Kosi should play and what affect that will have on Riewodlt. I think Kosi gets the CHF position becuase he is a bit taller and stronger and therefore should be able to cope with a few on him every time a bit better than Riewodlt. This leaves Riewodlt in my opinion to lead up the ground and get marks on the lead. However, I still think he should push deep forward if he can exploit his opponent. Too often he gets double teamed or tripled teamed. Get him leading up onto the wing and then pushing deep forward and using his edurance to exploit his opponent. But if his he's having a field day against someone like Dawson keep him permanently deep.

lol dawson= battler
umm kosi and riewoldt in the same team :O doesnt happen much. i WAS of the opinion kosi would ruck most of the time but now rixy is here not so sure. kosi and rooey in the same team plus hamill and gehrig would lead to noone being double or triple teamed as they couldnt afford to, one of the others would kick a bag.but concentrating on kosi and rooey, kosi at CHF sounds solid but i reckon hed alternate with rooey in the position depending on the game scenario. rooey can play off the flank leading into the midfield and like u sed, endurance is his main strength, can run and run and run sum more. the thing u dont wanna lose is his goalkicking potential ie against carlton. is inaccurate but dont hide the problem fix it.

A number of teams have devised strategies to neutralise Riewoldt's effectiveness as a forward. Teams man up against the individual forwards and they drop an extra defender into the space where Riewoldt would lead into, hence cutting him off. We countered this by forcing Roo to take contested marks to be effective. Having Kosi (who is a natural at contested marks) as an option forward will give us much greater flexibilty.

Kosi though, has said himself that he wants to ruck.

With Kosi, the problem isn't where to play him, as he can play anywhere, its his versatility that makes him such a wonderful player, but the choices made are where does the opposition least want him. :)

StKildonan said:
A number of teams have devised strategies to neutralise Riewoldt's effectiveness as a forward. Teams man up against the individual forwards and they drop an extra defender into the space where Riewoldt would lead into, hence cutting him off. We countered this by forcing Roo to take contested marks to be effective. Having Kosi (who is a natural at contested marks) as an option forward will give us much greater flexibilty.

Kosi though, has said himself that he wants to ruck.

With Kosi, the problem isn't where to play him, as he can play anywhere, its his versatility that makes him such a wonderful player, but the choices made are where does the opposition least want him. :)

well said, and therefore the positions of roo and kosi are a week to week proposition

Hopefully Rix can come along really quick like Ben Hudson did last year because I don't like Kosi in the ruck. While he hasn't yet been injured playing in the ruck he would have to be more at risk in the ruck than CHF. However, get Kosi rucking just the F50 and Rix sitting a kick behind play. Kosi's ruckwork could be really effective in setting up goals from clearances. I don't think the centre cirle rucking is the best for Kosi. Can just imagine his knee going as he crashes into the opposition ruckmen.

As someone said when we have all our talls up and running they can't triple team Roo, the fact that this year he has had triple teams most of the time, and our service has been poor yet he has kicked 32 goals.If Kosi and Sammy get up soon Riewoldt will be unstoppable 1 on 1 and it also gives him the flexibility to run his opponant into the ground something he can't do now as he is our only good target with Fraser playing like a dog.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back