News & Events Non-Football COVID-19 Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Say you catch covid and are vaccinated and it doesn't do much to you, but then next year you get it again (you have had you're booster shot) but are perhaps a bit more sick from a variant that stronger, then the following year you get a mild case...and so on. What happens after we have had it 10 times. We will be allowing it to come, and allowing us to get it multiple times. Will there be some sort of damage to our bodies that will eventually catch up with us and make really sick.
No. The immune system doesn't work like that. Think of it like memories. For example - imagine yesterday you ate a really tasty looking jelly bean that was flavoured like a piece of dog s**t and you ate it and thought, "this is really gross I am never doing that again". But then next year you see a piece of dog s**t that looks delicious but that smells really similar to that jelly bean, and you take a really big sniff of it and it makes you a little woozy, but you remember that jelly bean flavoured dog s**t that you ate last year, and decide not to eat it because it was nasty. And then the year after that, you come across another similar piece of dog s**t that looks really tasty, but maybe this one is a different consistency, and so you have a little nibble, but then before you can go any further it triggers the memory of that dogshit flavoured jelly bean that you really didn't like, and you remember that it is a bad idea so you run away from that particular strain of dogshit.

its just like that.

The jelly bean is the vaccine, and covid is the dogshit.

Girl that sits next to me at work was at a tier 1 exposure site yesterday and came to work, understandably because the exposure sites weren't updated until after she arrived but still, god ****ing damn it
With the National coverage for my team at work, I was up at 5am this morning to go over the sites where our equipment resides versus the locations.

I'm glad I did, when I found I was looking at 270+ locations.

Friday I looked at 80. Goodness knows how many it will be tomorrow!

With the National coverage for my team at work, I was up at 5am this morning to go over the sites where our equipment resides versus the locations.

I'm glad I did, when I found I was looking at 270+ locations.

Friday I looked at 80. Goodness knows how many it will be tomorrow!

Mercifully, the site was the Point Cook Stockland so you would say the risk is comparatively low compared to the teppanyaki joint around the corner from my parent's place, but still concerning.

One of the boys from work was at the footy on Sunday for the North game and was isolating while he waited for his test results Friday and then informed me on Saturday night that he had been at a tier one site next to the dome so had to isolate for 14 days from exposure. He was notified Saturday night, 6 days after exposure... QR scanned in at the venue. He was notified Wed night (3 days) regarding the footy.

Another of the boys had dinner in his house with his brother who tested positive a few days later and had not been contacted by anyone after having a negative test on Friday morning despite being a close contact. I had to tell him that he had to isolate and that he was not allowed back to work until Monday week because it was tier one exposure! He would have come to work had I not spoken to him on Saturday! Apparently even whoever he had spoken to when he had called for advice not guide him despite it being pretty clear cut.

This is why we people are getting it wrong I think. We don’t have the resources to cope with so many people.
It seems like contact tracers were all set and prepared to deal with last year's problems... Not Indian variants running rampant through crowds of thousands.

At least everyone is supposed to be locked down as of last Friday so they shouldn't be passing it any further than their own households while the contact tracers play catch up.

The aged care mess is the part that really worries me. The worker with the mystery case wore a mask the whole time she was there, asymptomatic and had already had her first vaccination and she still got it and now others are testing positive. I haven't heard today's press conference/headlines yet to know who got it from whom (I think it's a reasonable chance she picked it up at work rather than bringing it into the workplace), but I sort of wonder if it's even connected to the SA quarantine * up? Have they done genomic sequencing yet?

It's an absolute indictment on the systems in place that so many aged care staff and residents aren't fully vaccinated. If they're getting AZ they should be at least half-vaccinated by now (given the rollout apparently started in February), and should've been getting their second dose sometime in the next month. If it's Pfizer, as it was initially before we started getting AZ, it should be already done. I really don't care if the EU did this, the feds did that, or the states did something else. It's not an excuse. We have the ability to fix these problems, we've had the time to fix these problems, and instead it's a bloody blame game.

For the staff it should be a condition of employment, just as RNs have to get every other vaccination known to mankind. For the residents, idk what you do about consent for vaccinations.

I'm glad that the only person I know who is in aged care is in Gippsland, and not in greater Melbourne. It's the only saving grace. Just an absolute nightmare 12 months for that sector.

It seems like contact tracers were all set and prepared to deal with last year's problems... Not Indian variants running rampant through crowds of thousands.

At least everyone is supposed to be locked down as of last Friday so they shouldn't be passing it any further than their own households while the contact tracers play catch up.

The aged care mess is the part that really worries me. The worker with the mystery case wore a mask the whole time she was there, asymptomatic and had already had her first vaccination and she still got it and now others are testing positive. I haven't heard today's press conference/headlines yet to know who got it from whom (I think it's a reasonable chance she picked it up at work rather than bringing it into the workplace), but I sort of wonder if it's even connected to the SA quarantine fu** up? Have they done genomic sequencing yet?

It's an absolute indictment on the systems in place that so many aged care staff and residents aren't fully vaccinated. If they're getting AZ they should be at least half-vaccinated by now (given the rollout apparently started in February), and should've been getting their second dose sometime in the next month. If it's Pfizer, as it was initially before we started getting AZ, it should be already done. I really don't care if the EU did this, the feds did that, or the states did something else. It's not an excuse. We have the ability to fix these problems, we've had the time to fix these problems, and instead it's a bloody blame game.

For the staff it should be a condition of employment, just as RNs have to get every other vaccination known to mankind. For the residents, idk what you do about consent for vaccinations.

I'm glad that the only person I know who is in aged care is in Gippsland, and not in greater Melbourne. It's the only saving grace. Just an absolute nightmare 12 months for that sector.

The aged care mess is the part that really worries me. The worker with the mystery case wore a mask the whole time she was there, asymptomatic and had already had her first vaccination and she still got it and now others are testing positive. I haven't heard today's press conference/headlines yet to know who got it from whom (I think it's a reasonable chance she picked it up at work rather than bringing it into the workplace), but I sort of wonder if it's even connected to the SA quarantine fu** up? Have they done genomic sequencing yet?

17 state run facilities that have not even had one jab yet and Greg Hunt claiming it is because they don’t want to be vaccinated! Ok m8.

You may well be aware, but some aren't. Alternative to the full and part time empolyed staff at hospitals - there is also a third stream of employment; being "agency" supplied workers. The nature of that agencies is they charge big dollars to fill the need - as little as one shift might need too be filled, so they are asking upwards of $200.00 per hour. A good agency will pay $85 per hour, based on your specialty.

With the aged care sector, you not only have the full and part time staff, but you also have workers pinning their hopes strictly only on agency work coming in. Not being employed by a particular hospital, but more being a gun for hire. As the permenant staff take time away for leave or are sick, the agency staff fill in. The great money on offer often bypasses the short 2 hours notice you get when called to Werribee at 5am.

You will find that new migrant arrivals with nursing background will take the nursing home jobs over everyone else, as it is a hard gig. Many bed changes, bidy turns, toilet triage visits and patients passing away is not as appealing to a 19 year old looking for their first nusring job, so it falls through the cracks to gain workers from eleswhere.

As was proven in the first burst of aged care flare ups - many of these jobs are covered by migrant nurses (often living away from families) that will pool together for accomodation in flats. 5 in a two bed flat is not uncommon as they share beds and utilities, looking to work as many as 7 days so they can send money home. This is where danger is most apparent, as one works at a venue and gets sick, brings it home and trasmits as asymptomatic - where the other nurses head out to different venues and the virus spreads.

The general population seeem not to know that the vaccination is a prevenative for the virus to incapacitate you. The vaccine doesn't prevent the virus - it just prevents you in getting sick from it.

Last edited:
The general population seeem not to know that the vaccination is a prevenative for the virus to incapacitate you. The vaccine doesn't prevent the virus - it just prevents you in getting sick from it.
It also doesn't stop you from transmitting it, though it's supposed to reduce it – which is going to make it a lot more difficult for contact tracers as more people get vaccinated, with more asymptomatic carriers passing it on to vulnerable people and not even knowing that they have it.

Only thing I'd say to old boomers that don't want to be vaccinated is you can't be vaccinated if your dead.

Seriously though, why aren't the vac centres running 24/7 at the moment? Pay GPs, nurse $10 a jab. It'd be cheaper than ongoing lockdowns. Maybe even throw in a free sausage sizzle.

Only thing I'd say to old boomers that don't want to be vaccinated is you can't be vaccinated if your dead.

Seriously though, why aren't the vac centres running 24/7 at the moment? Pay GPs, nurse $10 a jab. It'd be cheaper than ongoing lockdowns. Maybe even throw in a free sausage sizzle.
They're empty in the afternoon, what would be the point in expanding capacity when existing capacity isn't being utilised? Who is gonna get jabbed at 3am that couldn't get jabbed at 3pm?

They're empty in the afternoon, what would be the point in expanding capacity when existing capacity isn't being utilised? Who is gonna get jabbed at 3am that couldn't get jabbed at 3pm?
Then expand it to 30 plus year olds.
All the 40 plus year olds I know immediately signed up to get it. Immediately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuine question.

We keeping hearing how virulent this strain is yet case numbers remain relatively small. If this strain transmits as rapidly and easily as we are being told, shouldn’t we be seeing a huge surge in case numbers?

I don’t get it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back