Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO it would result in a lot more tap ons, punches forward and kicks off the ground, chaos type footy.

Maybe, and that would be a good development. It still feels to feels to me though that the percentage play in a "no prior" world is a standoff of "who is going to pick the ball up and risk getting pinged" chicken.

Maybe I am cynical but history has left me with the impression that coaches immediately look to exploit loopholes rather than abiding by the spirit of new rules.

Maybe, but still feels to me that the percentage play is a standoff of "who is going to pick the ball up and risk getting pinged" chicken.

Maybe I am cynical but history has left me with the impression that coaches immediately look to exploit loopholes rather than abiding by the spirit of new rules.
I think that will be the initial knee jerk reaction. But then the better coaches and teams will realise that there are better ways of going about it, like keeping speed on the game and keeping the ball moving.

I think that will be the initial knee jerk reaction. But then the better coaches and teams will realise that there are better ways of going about it, like keeping speed on the game and keeping the ball moving.

I wonder if there could be an interpretation where a player picking the ball up is given like 1 second to immediately handball before no-prior kicks in? i.e. if you immediately go into a handball motion you get benefit of the doubt, anything else (including a failed attempted kick) should be interpreted as an attempt to take on the tackle and you are pinged.

That way there is still a role for your Lachie Neale in-and-under extractors.

I wonder if there could be an interpretation where a player picking the ball up is given like 1 second to immediately handball before no-prior kicks in? i.e. if you immediately go into a handball motion you get benefit of the doubt, anything else could be seen as an attempt to take on the tackle and you are pinged.
I don't mind that. I think "possession" would need to be more clearly defined. I would just say that it needs to be a firm grip on the ball, like, if the ball had been kicked to you, it would be a mark. Simply getting two hands to the ball would not be sufficient to be "possession", you would actually need to be holding the ball with a firm grip. Maybe for a second as you allude to.

Each season I just become more and more conviced that games are too long. I rarely watch an entire neutral game because it is such a massive investment of time. I got my 8 year old his first full membership this year but he couldn't last until 3 quarter time in the Carlton match, and that one started at 6:40. When daylight savings is over, those night games start even later.

Then look at length of games in an era where sports science is trying to eek out every extra 1 percent from players, injuries seem to be more and more common. It also feels like too many games are decided by attrition rather than the result reflecting the way the majority of the game was played. Thursday's game is case in point. Teams should be rewarded for fitness to an extent, but it feels the balance is out of whack.

Does the length of games serve the interests of anyone who isn't a commercial partner?

I enjoy getting up at 445/5. I find it hard to do getting home from night games at 11/1115, living in Carindale. Too long and the start times are far too late.

I enjoy getting up at 445/5. I find it hard to do getting home from night games at 11/1115, living in Carindale. Too long and the start times are far too late.
No doubt the start times are far too late , even if you're at home.

Just an added inconvenience in everyone's life.

I already laughed at keays and hinge but I’ll do so again here.

Hinge we offered a 1 year deal, reasonable for someone who was averaging a few games max a year for us. Adelaide offered greater opportunity because they were a poorer side, made sense for him to take it.

Keays was never playing any midfield minutes for us. When the crows sucked he got opportunity there and did well enough, now they are improving he doesn’t sight a centre bounce. He’s a solid option as a pressure forward, but not a need for us at all.

I get frustrated with Rayner too (don’t tell d@nster) but he can win a game off his own boot. Doesn’t do it nearly frequently enough of course, but it is obvious why we backed in the talent over keays, not that there was ever a real decisions between the two.

Rayner is frustrating because his talent is so much better than honest toilers like Keays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I already laughed at keays and hinge but I’ll do so again here.

Hinge we offered a 1 year deal, reasonable for someone who was averaging a few games max a year for us. Adelaide offered greater opportunity because they were a poorer side, made sense for him to take it.

Keays was never playing any midfield minutes for us. When the crows sucked he got opportunity there and did well enough, now they are improving he doesn’t sight a centre bounce. He’s a solid option as a pressure forward, but not a need for us at all.

I get frustrated with Rayner too (don’t tell d@nster) but he can win a game off his own boot. Doesn’t do it nearly frequently enough of course, but it is obvious why we backed in the talent over keays, not that there was ever a real decisions between the two.

Rayner is frustrating because his talent is so much better than honest toilers like Keays.
Not looking for any real disagreement but when has Rayner ever won a game off his own boot ? He had a day out for him and kicked 4 against the Saints I recall . He's scored 11 Brownlow votes in over 100 games.

I don't see what others see , he's a B to B+ grader on his good days who does some good things in many games and turns in a stinker every now and then.

Of course like everyone else I see the potential but until he consistently does it expectations are too high.

Not looking for any real disagreement but when has Rayner ever won a game off his own boot ? He had a day out for him and kicked 4 against the Saints I recall . He's scored 11 Brownlow votes in over 100 games.

I don't see what others see , he's a B to B+ grader on his good days who does some good things in many games and turns in a stinker every now and then.

Of course like everyone else I see the potential but until he consistently does it expectations are too high.

Saints game 2 years ago he was pretty influential

Gerard Healy has an infatuation for Port Adelaide and Charlie Dixon that borders on coital.🤢

Saints game 2 years ago he was pretty influential

Easter Thursday last year he kept us in the game early, we kicked away either side of half time - if you want to say he didn't 'win' the game for us that's fair but he was a massive part of it. Qualifying final against Port too, kicked 3 early goals and got us back in front with a bomb from 50+.

I'd put those 2 pretty high up there - we ended up winning both pretty easily, but when it was a contest he was our best player.

Key word in my post was that he 'can' win a game off his boot. It's not nearly frequent enough obviously.

Easter Thursday last year he kept us in the game early, we kicked away either side of half time - if you want to say he didn't 'win' the game for us that's fair but he was a massive part of it. Qualifying final against Port too, kicked 3 early goals and got us back in front with a bomb from 50+.

I'd put those 2 pretty high up there - we ended up winning both pretty easily, but when it was a contest he was our best player.

Key word in my post was that he 'can' win a game off his boot. It's not nearly frequent enough obviously.

Would add - he was excellent against Sydney in 2022 when Joe went off with a shoulder injury early on. That was our best win that season and probably our best away win in a very long time?

Would add - he was excellent against Sydney in 2022 when Joe went off with a shoulder injury early on. That was our best win that season and probably our best away win in a very long time?
That's all fine to cherry pick a game or two , but geez he's been ordinary in some big games.

He's still young enough to get better , my point is simply that he's overrated on what he's done.

Not comparing Keays with him but since that was what brought it up Keays has won games for the Crows virtually off his own boot off a lot less games.

If someone as ordinary as Keays can do it I think people are jumping the gun on Rayner and I'd like to see him dominate occasionally and be in the best players more often .

That's all fine to cherry pick a game or two , but geez he's been ordinary in some big games.

He's still young enough to get better , my point is simply that he's overrated on what he's done.

Not comparing Keays with him but since that was what brought it up Keays has won games for the Crows virtually off his own boot off a lot less games.

If someone as ordinary as Keays can do it I think people are jumping the gun on Rayner and I'd like to see him dominate occasionally and be in the best players more often .

5th in the B&F in a year we made the GF

He's not Dustin Martin but he's contributing very well

Each season I just become more and more conviced that games are too long. I rarely watch an entire neutral game because it is such a massive investment of time. I got my 8 year old his first full membership this year but he couldn't last until 3 quarter time in the Carlton match, and that one started at 6:40. When daylight savings is over, those night games start even later.

Then look at length of games in an era where sports science is trying to eek out every extra 1 percent from players, injuries seem to be more and more common. It also feels like too many games are decided by attrition rather than the result reflecting the way the majority of the game was played. Thursday's game is case in point. Teams should be rewarded for fitness to an extent, but it feels the balance is out of whack.

Does the length of games serve the interests of anyone who isn't a commercial partner?

Eliminate time on and make each quarter 25mins.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

5th in the B&F in a year we made the GF

He's not Dustin Martin but he's contributing very well
Yes that was a surprise to nearly everyone I think so obviously he was playing a role well enough last year.

No one's expecting him to be Dustin Martin. But some of the comments indicate that's what we're hoping.

He was actually consistent enough last year. An improvement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back