List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
A few significant players OOC this season... what I would be doing at this stage >

2024:
Jarrod Berry - 3 years.
Hugh McCluggage - 5 years.
Jarryd Lyons - Turns 32 this year, if he gets through unscathed/in good form give him 1 year as depth insurance.
Lincoln McCarthy - Turns 31 this year, 1 year with a trigger for another on games played in 2025.
Noah Answerth - On watch, has to perform very well to get another year.
Kalin Lane (R) - On watch, H.Smith OOC 2026, needs to show improvement.
Jaxon Prior - I like him in patches, another on watch.
James Madden - Almost certainly gone, one of the prime candidates for the axe.
Ryan Lester (R) - IMO he gets another year as a much admired guy around the club, leader.
Darragh Joyce (R) - ZZ takes his place, another prime delist option.
Dayne Zorko - 36 before start of next season, retire, said he wants to play as long as possible, injury free in form 1 year.
Carter Michael - Needs to get through injury free and show some great signs to get another year.
Shadeau Brain (R) - 1 year, got something about him, fan.
Bruce Reville (R) - 1 year for persistence.

Honestly I do find it a bit distasteful, especially given the season isn't even started, to speculate about who's going to be fired at the end of the year.

Honestly I do find it a bit distasteful, especially given the season isn't even started, to speculate about who's going to be fired at the end of the year.
I thought this was a footy forum, isn't list management a pretty big discussion point throughout a season, all these players are OOC this year. McCluggage has already been the subject of discussion re his contract.

I apologise for any offence or emotional distress caused to you.

I thought this was a footy forum, isn't list management a pretty big discussion point throughout a season, all these players are OOC this year. McCluggage has already been the subject of discussion re his contract.

Worthy topic but poor timing imo (I had the same reaction). Maybe it’s the poll which seems a bit on the nose.

Worthy topic but poor timing imo (I had the same reaction). Maybe it’s the poll which seems a bit on the nose.
When is the right time?

Maybe one of the moderators can delete the thread and/or the poll if it's that inappropriate/offensive, wouldn't worry me in the least.

When is the right time?

Maybe one of the moderators can delete the thread and/or the poll if it's that inappropriate/offensive, wouldn't worry me in the least.

My view? Once the season proper is a bit more established and we get a lay of the and and who is best 22 etc.

Just expressing an opinion. That's the hazard of posting on a forum, others can post about their view on said posts.

You also didn't posit as "list management", that was my repurposing of the thread to at least broaden it beyond who's getting the boot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just expressing an opinion. That's the hazard of posting on a forum, others can post about their view on said posts.

Posting a hot take, having people disagree with you and then getting mad that people have an opinion about your opinion is a valued tradition on bigfooty

Posting a hot take, having people disagree with you and then getting mad that people have an opinion about your opinion is a valued tradition on bigfooty

I told you brab, leave your politics out if this.

You also didn't posit as "list management", that was my repurposing of the thread to at least broaden it beyond who's getting the boot.
I did tag it as list management with the blue boxed heading.
You didn't see my laugh response to dlanod's original post to me or detect the sarcasm of my apology, never been mad about anonymous online postings in my life, been around the block too many times for that BRAB.

I told you brab, leave your politics out if this.

As I’ve said many times before, my only political position is bulldozing schools.

I did tag it as list management with the blue boxed heading.

You didn't see my laugh response to dlanod's original post to me or detect the sarcasm of my apology, never been mad about anonymous online postings in my life, been around the block too many times for that BRAB.

You threatened to burn down my house last year after I posted a Jack Gunston highlights package.

Once Gunners packed up and left any urge to offload anyone else seemed to dissipate.

In honour of that milestone it's only appropriate that everyone on the list be give one extra year in their contract.

After all you never know which one of them will come good.

Let's call it the Ben Keays extra year clause

Once Gunners packed up and left any urge to offload anyone else seemed to dissipate.

In honour of that milestone it's only appropriate that everyone on the list be give one extra year in their contract.

After all you never know which one of them will come good.

Let's call it the Ben Keays extra year clause
Lester has made an art form of getting an extra year.:)

Worthy thread Mr Malice 👍

I tend to think about the following seasons departures once the list for the upcoming season is set.

I think this year will be pretty straightforward to be honest.

In the poll, for delistings I went Madden, Lane and Joyce and unless Michael can get on the park and play good footy, then he’ll be cut but I am optimistic about him.

I think we’ll see three retirements, Zorko, Lester and Lyons with Frog potentially getting one more if he plays 15 games odd.

If Answerth is fit and only plays less than 10 games then I think he’ll seek a trade and a club will find a spot for him although I’m optimistic about Noah, practice match aside.

I thought Darryl Junior would be safe at end of last season so I suspect Bruce Reville would need to play or press for a game to be kept on but it also may depend on how many other changes we make but I’m bullish about Bruce.

A few significant players OOC this season... what I would be doing at this stage >

2024:
Jarrod Berry - 3 years.
Hugh McCluggage - 5 years.
Jarryd Lyons - Turns 32 this year, if he gets through unscathed/in good form give him 1 year as depth insurance.
Lincoln McCarthy - Turns 31 this year, 1 year with a trigger for another on games played in 2025.
Noah Answerth - On watch, has to perform very well to get another year.
Kalin Lane (R) - On watch, H.Smith OOC 2026, needs to show improvement.
Jaxon Prior - I like him in patches, another on watch.
James Madden - Almost certainly gone, one of the prime candidates for the axe.
Ryan Lester (R) - IMO he gets another year as a much admired guy around the club, leader.
Darragh Joyce (R) - ZZ takes his place, another prime delist option.
Dayne Zorko - 36 before start of next season, retire, said he wants to play as long as possible, injury free in form 1 year.
Carter Michael - Needs to get through injury free and show some great signs to get another year.
Shadeau Brain (R) - 1 year, got something about him, fan.
Bruce Reville (R) - 1 year for persistence.

I think ZZ will be off by a year or two until his body matures and he becomes consistent. Considering we are in window, Lester and Joyce are mature depth. Need to keep them both for an extra year in my view. With the arrival of our new third tall forward in Dizzy, we have Andrews/Payne/Doedee as 3 key position and Lester+Joyce as depth.

McCarthy I agree with a 1 + 1

HSmith is on till 2026 so we could see a swap of Lane for Gillett. Lane is more a pure ruck, but with BigO and Fort holding the 2 spots it'll be difficult for him to breakthrough.

I'd love to see Brain get a go if McKenna is racing the clock at the start of the season. There was good reviews about Brain's HBF skills last season in VFL. Hoping he gets a go to show us what he can do.

Zorko, Lyons, Madden, Answerth, Prior, Michael - let's wait n see.

I think this year will be interesting depending on who wants to stay.
We have a few players that are fringe that could be lured elsewhere if another team wanted to take a punt (North/WCE/Bombers/Hawthorn), but also need to recruit Levi, Academy guy and setup for a future without Daniher/Cameron/McCarthy/Lyons/Zorko/Andrews.

2024:
Jarrod Berry - 2 years, needs to get those shoulders right and play some inside time.
Hugh McCluggage - 5 years, but please go back to the wing full time.
Jarryd Lyons - Retires. Don't think he will get a shot anywhere else. Should finish with 100 Lions games due to being the sub.
Lincoln McCarthy - Probably plays on for another 3 years. Signs one-year deals moving forward.
Noah Answerth - Worth keeping if he wants to stay. Could be picked up by another club. 1 year.
Kalin Lane (R) - Is the third ruck on the list. Will stay for at least another year or be on the ruck merry-go-round.
Jaxon Prior - Plays three positions. Will stay if he wants. May ask to go back to WA. Probably leaves, 2 years if he stays.
James Madden - Definitely gone.
Ryan Lester (R) - Depends on list spots. May retire pending on injuries giving him play time.
Darragh Joyce (R) - Probably stays on for another year.
Dayne Zorko - Retires a Lions legend with a premiership in hand.
Carter Michael - 2 years, replaces Wilmott if he gets pushed up on a wing or Zorko (when he plays in the backline).
Shadeau Brain (R) - Don't know where he fits in (forward or back). 1 year.
Bruce Reville (R) - Wouldn't have put him on the list without giving him at least 2 years, 1 year.

TL;DR
Lyons and Zorko to retire, Prior, Answerth, Kalin Lane to possibly move, and Madden to be delisted.

Also, isn't Sharp on for one year as well, or did he sign for 2?

I think this year will be interesting depending on who wants to stay.
We have a few players that are fringe that could be lured elsewhere if another team wanted to take a punt (North/WCE/Bombers/Hawthorn), but also need to recruit Levi, Academy guy and setup for a future without Daniher/Cameron/McCarthy/Lyons/Zorko/Andrews.

2024:
Jarrod Berry - 2 years, needs to get those shoulders right and play some inside time.
Hugh McCluggage - 5 years, but please go back to the wing full time.
Jarryd Lyons - Retires. Don't think he will get a shot anywhere else. Should finish with 100 Lions games due to being the sub.
Lincoln McCarthy - Probably plays on for another 3 years. Signs one-year deals moving forward.
Noah Answerth - Worth keeping if he wants to stay. Could be picked up by another club. 1 year.
Kalin Lane (R) - Is the third ruck on the list. Will stay for at least another year or be on the ruck merry-go-round.
Jaxon Prior - Plays three positions. Will stay if he wants. May ask to go back to WA. Probably leaves, 2 years if he stays.
James Madden - Definitely gone.
Ryan Lester (R) - Depends on list spots. May retire pending on injuries giving him play time.
Darragh Joyce (R) - Probably stays on for another year.
Dayne Zorko - Retires a Lions legend with a premiership in hand.
Carter Michael - 2 years, replaces Wilmott if he gets pushed up on a wing or Zorko (when he plays in the backline).
Shadeau Brain (R) - Don't know where he fits in (forward or back). 1 year.
Bruce Reville (R) - Wouldn't have put him on the list without giving him at least 2 years, 1 year.

TL;DR
Lyons and Zorko to retire, Prior, Answerth, Kalin Lane to possibly move, and Madden to be delisted.

Also, isn't Sharp on for one year as well, or did he sign for 2?
Harry Sharp OOC 2025.

Kind of a nuance things I suppose.

Traditionally there is a 'Who's playing for their career in 2024' type thread which is focussed more on what the players are doing/can do to keep their dream alive.

I imagine a Poll of '2024 OOC players - who are we going to keep' would have ended up with the same data as a '2024 OOC players - who are we going to give the boot to' (if in mirror image) but with the focus on 'why we should keep' rather than on 'why we should dump'.

Generally as fans we tend to not really want to think about getting rid of players (except Gunners** of course ;) )

** and Beams etc but this one is more recent

Back