NOW to sometime later in the year (maybe) - Talk about anything

Remove this Banner Ad

The big concern for me is they felt comfortable doing it. Which usually means its not the first time. Just horrible behaviour.

Interesting post on facebook from one of the umpires on the day regarding the incident and the day in general.

"For a club this is absolutely disgusting from Knox. As an EFNL official I was there all day and coped nothing but abuse all day from Knox starting from 8:50 in the u19’s all the way till 2:20 in the seniors ON and OFF the field (also trying to leave the venue after the games) and I may not have been appointed the women’s game but I stuck around as I had staggered games across the day at Donvale but those umpires in the women’s game couldn’t catch a break from Knox either. This also stems down into the junior club of Knox’s players, officials and spectators aswell.
This is unacceptable!"

Seems that the age group of 16-25yos have really changed post Covid and lockdowns. Happier to travel, work Saturdays or spend time outside of sports. It's no longer a commitment for the season but more so "if im available" for a large chunk!

It was like that in cricket 10 years ago but I got the impression at the time in Football clubs it wasn't tolerated.

I guess as numbers decline clubs now have to put up with it or have players not playing at all.

It was like that in cricket 10 years ago but I got the impression at the time in Football clubs it wasn't tolerated.

I guess as numbers decline clubs now have to put up with it or have players not playing at all.
That's pretty much it. Some would argue that one club was relegated as they lost games when players were away.

The big concern for me is they felt comfortable doing it. Which usually means its not the first time. Just horrible behaviour.

Interesting post on facebook from one of the umpires on the day regarding the incident and the day in general.

"For a club this is absolutely disgusting from Knox. As an EFNL official I was there all day and coped nothing but abuse all day from Knox starting from 8:50 in the u19’s all the way till 2:20 in the seniors ON and OFF the field (also trying to leave the venue after the games) and I may not have been appointed the women’s game but I stuck around as I had staggered games across the day at Donvale but those umpires in the women’s game couldn’t catch a break from Knox either. This also stems down into the junior club of Knox’s players, officials and spectators aswell.
This is unacceptable!"
It comes down to a small minority that has a major impact.

A pretty good response by Knox imo

Maybe but a fair bit to go yet. And a few questions that haven't been answered

• Are any of the 2s from last week available for senior selection this week? Or are all 24 players suspended?
  • What does Oakleigh Districts 2s do this week?
  • Having no 2s game hurt opposition clubs especially when Knox are away
  • 2s are senior footballers, hit Knox where it hurts
  • Why did it take the EFNL until tonight to finally post about the incident?

• Are any of the 2s from last week available for senior selection this week? Or are all 24 players suspended?
Probably wanted to do their due diligence and investigate it properly. I thought it was their u19s, much bigger matter I reckon now, That some of them saw what was happening and did nothing to stop it.

You'd assume all 2's who were there are suspended. Oakleigh might organize training or something, not ideal though.

Im awaiting the fall out throughout the season if people decide they are unhappy being around morons like that and take off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t know if the rules have changed but you couldn’t field a 19s side in the past and forfeit reserves, just like you couldn’t field a reserves and forfeit seniors.

You had to play seniors, then reserves, then U19s as numbers allowed.
Gee you are obsessed about 2's footy.

Knox U 19s play the reseves game. No U19s game. That rule came in a few years ago when a Prem club forfeited a reserves game last minute.

How badly does this hurt Knox?

How many blokes leave because they are suspended for basically doing nothing? How many just don’t want to be associated with that type of group?

Again many details to come out, was it 2 blokes or 20, was it loud and no one pulled them up or very subtle and 20 blokes didn’t hear.

Knox U 19s play the reseves game. No U19s game. That rule came in a few years ago when a Prem club forfeited a reserves game last minute.
This situation is a little bit different, but i understand where you are coming from. Oakleigh have not entered a 2s team on their socials or on play hq for this weekend but their 1s team is all entered, so id presume from their point of view they aren't having reserves game.

Id also question why Oakleigh Districts should be benefiting from something the Knox 2s did to Donvale Womens team? The integrity of the competition is still important even for reserves footballers if we are to presume that Oakleigh will be awarded the win due to a forfeit type scenario.

Last edited:
I thought it was their u19s, much bigger matter I reckon now, That some of them saw what was happening and did nothing to stop it.

I agree. I think a lot of people presumed it was 19s also, maybe the use of development squad confuses people. Reserves are grown men and ages can range anywhere from 20-35 at most clubs.

Id also question why Oakleigh Districts should be benefiting from something the Knox 2s did to Donvale Womens team? The integrity of the competition is still important even for reserves footballers if we are to presume that Oakleigh will be awarded the win due to a forfeit type scenario.
At the end of the day, the integrity of the comp takes a back seat for the bigger issue at play.

Somebody has to lobby for the lunchtime league
I do not know any EFNL rule that says if the 2,s are going to forfeit they must play their U19,s in the 2,s and the 19,s forfeit.BUT important for a club,s 1,s and the remaining 2,s that they play as the remaining 2,s can not go back and play in the 19,s.I think you might be thinking of clubs in the past that decided we will pull the pin on their 19,s to help get a reserves side on the park.(Balwyn and Doncaster I think)If seniors and 19,s only start the 19,s game later in the lunchtime spot as you call it.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back