NTFL 2017/2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey, I'm the bloke who wrote those season previews.

Definitely don't write off St Marys, you bring in their best 22 and they are easily Grand Finalists. Districts are probably the only team with their full side in at the moment which is credit to them. Nightcliff still flag favourites in my eyes, even without the O'hAilpin brothers. Wanderers will be inconsistent as usual, Tiwi even more so, Waratah are too slow, Magpies just don''t have the personnel.
spot on, especially with districts being a bolter at the moment unless anything drastic happens will be a 3 horse race, talking to different people at different clubs the fly in rule and the points system is doing peoples heads in especially on selection night- zero point players are worth their weight in gold

spot on, especially with districts being a bolter at the moment unless anything drastic happens will be a 3 horse race, talking to different people at different clubs the fly in rule and the points system is doing peoples heads in especially on selection night- zero point players are worth their weight in gold

I honestly think Nightcliff will slowly assert dominance over the competition and will lead the pack comfortably. Districts, Buffs, Wanderers and Saints probably to make the finals as well (not in that order). Big test this week will be Tigers v Crocs out at Nightcliff.

I honestly think Nightcliff will slowly assert dominance over the competition and will lead the pack comfortably. Districts, Buffs, Wanderers and Saints probably to make the finals as well (not in that order). Big test this week will be Tigers v Crocs out at Nightcliff.
only thing come finals time districts and tigers have gone missing in the past with saints and to a certain extent eagles rising to the occasion, the difference this year is that saints have lost heaps of finals experience with some retirements

What is the go with Palmo? Why are they struggling to retain players?

Had a pretty tough season last year, and things don't look like improving. There's some question marks over Tavis Perry's coaching ability even though I rate him very highly.

Had a pretty tough season last year, and things don't look like improving. There's some question marks over Tavis Perry's coaching ability even though I rate him very highly.

But that's the thing with Palmo, things have never really looked like improving. I moved back to the Territory 7 years ago and think they have only made the finals once (I think they got belted too) and continually bleed players to rival clubs. Pierce Liddle, Darren Ewing, Jetta all very good players who have left in that time and they are just off the top of my head and I only really glance over the results every now and then.
I do believe they have a solid junior base but when do we expect that to pay off for them?

But that's the thing with Palmo, things have never really looked like improving. I moved back to the Territory 7 years ago and think they have only made the finals once (I think they got belted too) and continually bleed players to rival clubs. Pierce Liddle, Darren Ewing, Jetta all very good players who have left in that time and they are just off the top of my head and I only really glance over the results every now and then.
I do believe they have a solid junior base but when do we expect that to pay off for them?

They're certainly blooding a few youngsters this season but not enough to make any real impact in coming years I think. Jacon Lampton has looked promising as a winger but his skills let him down at times. Rodney Baird is a class backman but you'd think he'd get higher opportunities soon. As you said, they certainly don't look like improving any time soon. The biggest term parried about last season was 'culture issues'.

They're certainly blooding a few youngsters this season but not enough to make any real impact in coming years I think. Jacon Lampton has looked promising as a winger but his skills let him down at times. Rodney Baird is a class backman but you'd think he'd get higher opportunities soon. As you said, they certainly don't look like improving any time soon. The biggest term parried about last season was 'culture issues'.
yes, the old culture issues which usually means footballers who aren't team players, not enough quality people around the club and people more interested in whinging rather than getting in there and doing something to help which I have heard has happened out at Palmo, population and facilities wise they should be doing better but if everyones not on the same page it can go pear shaped pretty quick, have heaps of juniors but a lot of them don't go any further than under age footy

yes, the old culture issues which usually means footballers who aren't team players, not enough quality people around the club and people more interested in whinging rather than getting in there and doing something to help which I have heard has happened out at Palmo, population and facilities wise they should be doing better but if everyones not on the same page it can go pear shaped pretty quick, have heaps of juniors but a lot of them don't go any further than under age footy

Guess we were wrong. Palmerston beat Darwin last night by 10 points.

Guess we were wrong. Palmerston beat Darwin last night by 10 points.
yes but in our defence we did say they should win a few games this year, districts beat nightcliff by six goals on the tigers home ground and saints are back on the winners list, saints tahs magpies and tiwi all have won one game with districts undefeated

Yeah I was at Nightcliff this afternoon, Districts absolutely dominated the game from start to finish. Same deal with Saints last night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having played juniors for Palmerston between the late 2000's and early 2010's, there was always a big problem with senior selectors. not many of the juniors going up ever got a look in, it was always the same bunch of blokes playing A's, same bunch of blokes play B's, so the C grade was the only place most of them ended up. We had an Under 18's team win a flag, and then a year later, only 2 of them were playing As or Bs. The rest just dropped off. It was too hard to crack into the exclusive group of A's. But that's just from what i saw with me and my teammates (not that i ever thought of myself remotely quality enough to play A's).
Since Tavis came in, a lot of the younger guys, and even my generation of players, have started to be given a full run at it. He's a people's person, and makes you feel welcome, which is what we lacked from some of the other senior coaches. Having said that, i haven't been involved in the club for 2-3 years so i can't really speak on the behalf of most people in there, but i feel morale is certainly higher these days. And lack of personal is a huuuuge issue for palmerston. I think throughout my junior career, it was the same 4-5 volunteers doing everything for the club. Lots of parents and fans stand around an criticise, but won't help out

Having played juniors for Palmerston between the late 2000's and early 2010's, there was always a big problem with senior selectors. not many of the juniors going up ever got a look in, it was always the same bunch of blokes playing A's, same bunch of blokes play B's, so the C grade was the only place most of them ended up. We had an Under 18's team win a flag, and then a year later, only 2 of them were playing As or Bs. The rest just dropped off. It was too hard to crack into the exclusive group of A's. But that's just from what i saw with me and my teammates (not that i ever thought of myself remotely quality enough to play A's).
Since Tavis came in, a lot of the younger guys, and even my generation of players, have started to be given a full run at it. He's a people's person, and makes you feel welcome, which is what we lacked from some of the other senior coaches. Having said that, i haven't been involved in the club for 2-3 years so i can't really speak on the behalf of most people in there, but i feel morale is certainly higher these days. And lack of personal is a huuuuge issue for palmerston. I think throughout my junior career, it was the same 4-5 volunteers doing everything for the club. Lots of parents and fans stand around an criticise, but won't help out

yes I think tavis is doing a great job and the Davey boys are quality people with young izzy frank a shining light out there,i can never understand how parents don't get involved with footy club if kids are playing, some just look at it like a day care place where they drop them off and go do something else in saying that people are a bit time poor these days, but the league doesn't help by playing different grades on different days at different locations spreading volunteers thin which is really poor organising

liam jurrah was a no show for pies, I reckon if he lived at the footy ground you would only have a fifty fifty chance of getting him to turn up to a game let alone living the other side of alice springs also noticed banks are making a big deal about their 40th year which is odd and tracey village are in all sorts, div 2 and under 18s forfeited and div one getting flogged every week

liam jurrah was a no show for pies, I reckon if he lived at the footy ground you would only have a fifty fifty chance of getting him to turn up to a game let alone living the other side of alice springs also noticed banks are making a big deal about their 40th year which is odd and tracey village are in all sorts, div 2 and under 18s forfeited and div one getting flogged every week

That was always going to be a risk for the TEAFA teams when joining the NTFL though. Tracy Village is a tough one, they're based right in the heartland of the northern suburbs which in my opinion, has always been Buffaloes and Wanderers territory. Having said that, when i first went up from juniors to senior with Palmy, i played a few div 2 games, and we were getting rattled by 180-200 points every week, and they didn't have much sympathy for us. They started backheeling goals and trying drop kick set shots and everything. That was partly our fault, rocking up on a Sunday morning with 15 players, all of us having spent the night at Archies or patrolling Mitchell Street. But still, i guess what comes around goes around. And besides, copping a hiding every week helps players build character. As stupid as it sounds, i enjoyed my footy just as much being smashed every week alongside 15-16 brothers going through the same thing, than i did when i was winning junior flags etc. They'll turn it around eventually, as long as they don't fold/take a year off. Maybe they tried to expand too quickly and it's drained them?

Really dissapointing about Liam Jurrah though. Wonder if he'll make the flight over to Tiwi this weekend. Would be a ripper of a game!

And you're right, it's a bit weird Banks are making such a big deal out of their 40th. But to their credit, they've done so well over those times. My old man captained them in the 80's before he helped set up the Uni Rats, and it's always been a very proud and passionate club. Imagine their 50th birthday celebrations! That's going to be crazy

yes its a bit of a slippery slope you turn up with 16 players cop a flogging in the midday sun, blokes don't go to training cause they know they will get a game which means bigger losing margins then all of a sudden going fishing on the weekend seems more appealing than playing footy, I think the league would prefer the ex tefa clubs align with someone or fold so there is a nice even number because they cant seem to get the draw right,they fail badly the explosion of womens/girls football also has the league stretched they love the extra money coming in but the shortage of grounds, umpires and change rooms is a problem.

I see there are a few from the EDFL who have flown up to play in the NTFL... whats the incentive to play up there? What sort of salary would they be on?
Interested especially in these guys and how they are going... Matthew Arundell(Waratah), Cameron Cloke, Courtenay Dempsey(Palmerston), Jason Williams(Waratah)

I see there are a few from the EDFL who have flown up to play in the NTFL... whats the incentive to play up there? What sort of salary would they be on?
Interested especially in these guys and how they are going... Matthew Arundell(Waratah), Cameron Cloke, Courtenay Dempsey(Palmerston), Jason Williams(Waratah)

Without knowing the specifics, people say they mainly come up for the fishing and then they get a fair sum to rock up for a game then leave. Clokey was a fly in so never stayed here long. They'd have been making a fair bit of money out of it i'd imagine. Dempsey i think was brought to Palmerston due to his links with Alwyn Davey, much like Andrew Lovett and Jetta were. Neither of them has really set the world on fire at this stage, but their experience and class would be quite valuable for the young fellas on the list. What's the count of NT players in the EDFL? There does seem to be some sort of relationship between the leagues id imagine

There’s 10 all together so far. Lots coming from non premier league teams. Is there a salary cap in this league?

Not that im aware of, i think there's just a restriction on how many fly in/interstate recruits a club can have. kdavva74 may be better at answering that one though!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back