NTFL - Upcoming Season News

Remove this Banner Ad

bestyoucanget

Rookie
Feb 27, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
While the news has been out for sometime here in the Territory, I thought that you all might be interested that the Tiwi Islands will be entering the Northern Territory Football League for the first time this coming season. As far as I know, they will not be playing for the whole season, instead only playing 7 games. With the addition of the new team, and some coaching contracts finished last season, I am posting the coaches list for all NTFL clubs for 2006/07, most of the coaches are listed, and if anyone can help fill in the blanks, it would be appreciated.

Southern Districts - Michael "Majo" Mclean (ex-Nightcliff)

Saint Mary's - ?????

Waratahs - Bill Martin

Palmerston Magpies - Darren Flanagan

Nightcliff - ????

Wanderers - Mark Motlop

Buffalos - ????

Tiwi Islands - Greg Orsto

i heard steven easton is coaching nightcliff he is from vic and has a good record boh playing and coaching. several DVFL div 1 flags both coaching n playing.

Although not knowledgable on name just mentioned...whereabouts in the DV' did he play and coach !? Did hear a whisper that nightcliff may struggle this year,being that w Majo coaching at districts that a quite a few will jump ship !
Any veiws or truth in that !?....

kanga fan man said:
i heard steven easton is coaching nightcliff he is from vic and has a good record boh playing and coaching. several DVFL div 1 flags both coaching n playing.

yeah, has won a couple of DVFL flags as coach, one i know at lalor. hasnt coached for a number of years so will be a bit old school which should suit the boys up north.

BlindedByTheLight said:
yeah, has won a couple of DVFL flags as coach, one i know at lalor. hasnt coached for a number of years so will be a bit old school which should suit the boys up north.

Not sure what Easto is doing seasons end but he has been coahing. Has been at the head of Bulleen/Temp in the Ammos and in his 3rd year has 1 flag and is looking at finals again this year.

The media announced that with Mclean leaving Nightcliff, his sons would follow him out to Districts. Word is that a few others are going to try make the switch as well, however at this stage Districts does not officially start their pre-season until the 15th of August, so until then I am not 100% sure.

Palmerston started their pre-season 2 weeks ago (trying to get a jump on the competition after a dismal season last year). I am not too sure at this stage if Troy Thamm has been down at training, but leave it with me and I'll find out.

Another bit of information that you might all find interesting is that Daryl White (ex Brisbane Lions) played for Darwin Buffaloes last year, however has decided to make himself available to other clubs this season. The paper mentioned that there may be differences between the coach and White, what will happen there though I am not too sure.

bestyoucanget said:
The media announced that with Mclean leaving Nightcliff, his sons would follow him out to Districts. Word is that a few others are going to try make the switch as well, however at this stage Districts does not officially start their pre-season until the 15th of August, so until then I am not 100% sure.

Palmerston started their pre-season 2 weeks ago (trying to get a jump on the competition after a dismal season last year). I am not too sure at this stage if Troy Thamm has been down at training, but leave it with me and I'll find out.

Another bit of information that you might all find interesting is that Daryl White (ex Brisbane Lions) played for Darwin Buffaloes last year, however has decided to make himself available to other clubs this season. The paper mentioned that there may be differences between the coach and White, what will happen there though I am not too sure.

i Heard Darryl White is playing at Nightcliff... Not sure if it true though

bestyoucanget said:

I am pretty sure Thamm wouldn't have been to training yet as he is still at home playing for Kerang

More news on Daryl White, seems his in serious discussions about his playing career with Southern Districts.

Filling in the blanks for who will be heading the Darwin Buffs as coach. Ian Smith who took Buffs to a premiership last season is out, with the club going for Gilbert McAdams, an ex-AFL player (reported as St Kilda and Brisbane). Though McAdams is still coaching in Alice Springs, he is due up in Darwin in two weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yesterdays Northern Territory News has confirmed that Darryl White (Ex. Brisbane Lions) will be playing for Southern Districts. Districts, having recently acquired Mago Mclean as coach also have several other High Profile players rumoured to be heading their way. Big names include Ronnie Burns and Steven Koops.

The season draw has also been made available with the first game being held at TIO Stadium (Marrara) on the 14th of October between the newly entered team - Tiwi Islands (who will be wearing red and black jumpers - same style as the bombers) and Saint Marys.

Also listed in the season draw is the addition of a new home ground for the Palmerston Magpies (It's been a long time coming).

Prior to the season start is of course the Umpires Cup Carnival. At this stage there isnt any really exciting news about it, but will let you all know.

Bestyoucanget ;)

I'll have a better idea of who to the team to beat will be after the Umpires Cup Carnival.

Early on though, I would say that Waratahs (The fellas have had a big pre-season and look great on the track), Saint Mary's (Honestly you can never not say they have got a shot... They are one of the only clubs I know that dont go have up and down seasons or a few seasons of rebuilding), and last but not least, I will warily put down Districts (McLean has got to win a premiership one day, and the player interest he has at the moment could see him picking a winning team).

Last but not least, I think that the first 7 weeks of the competition will be some of the most exciting NTFL games in a long time, with the new Tiwi Islander team joining the competition. Their pace and enthusiasm will really add to competition.

Rumor has it that former Nightcliff player Luke O'Toole will be joining Majo this year. I'm sure they will try convince some of the former Swan Hill crew to join them for another year aswell. They will be a few handy inclusions if all goe's well.

Welcome to the NT thread frogdog looking forward to your comments. It would have to be some sort of koo if Majo was to lure O'Toole, if he does fair chance Nalder will go to!!! TWO OF THE BEST!!!:thumbsu:

FROGDOG17 said:
Rumor has it that former Nightcliff player Luke O'Toole will be joining Majo this year. I'm sure they will try convince some of the former Swan Hill crew to join them for another year aswell. They will be a few handy inclusions if all goe's well.

The BBQ Man said:
Welcome to the NT thread frogdog looking forward to your comments. It would have to be some sort of koo if Majo was to lure O'Toole, if he does fair chance Nalder will go to!!! TWO OF THE BEST!!!:thumbsu:
Has O'toole played under Majo previously !? and what would Nalder bring to Southern Districts if the rumours turn out to be true !? Are they both onballers or key position and where have they played previously !?

BIGANT said:
Has O'toole played under Majo previously !? and what would Nalder bring to Southern Districts if the rumours turn out to be true !? Are they both onballers or key position and where have they played previously !?
Both played under Majo at Nightcliff two seasons ago. Both guns and are proven players in the leauge, they can play anywhere. They would be great for Districts.

coldog said:
I would probably say Sundays at Lunchtime on ABC2 on digital around australia and Sunday Morning on ABC TV in the NT.

I emailed ABC2 and as yet have not recieved a reply but if you look in the program listing on there site it has no mention of the NTFL being shown on ABC2 which is a real bummer coz this is the only way of getting our footy fix over summer. Does anyone know anything else on whether we will be able to watch it on ABC2 or not?

The umpires cup carnival will be played over 3 days this weeknd. For all information on the games, check out the AFLNT Website

No doubt we will all have alot to talk about next week!!!

FROGDOG17 said:
Both played under Majo at Nightcliff two seasons ago. Both guns and are proven players in the leauge, they can play anywhere. They would be great for Districts.
Hey FROGDOG do you know who captained this yr's aboriginal allstars team that played in the country championships up on the Gold coast !?

BIGANT said:
Hey FROGDOG do you know who captained this yr's aboriginal allstars team that played in the country championships up on the Gold coast !?
Yeah not sure mate, might have to google it. I shoulda done that before i posted back!

Can anyone tell me how big Courtney Findlay went for Waratahs in their practice match on the weekend??

How'd he look??

Heard he may have snagged a few??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back