Number 19 - Clayton Hinkley

Remove this Banner Ad

Hinkley(lge)_v1.jpg

Absolutely! You only have to watch our last game of 08 v-collingwood to see the potential this kid has. Looking forward to seeing more of him in 09.
Rising Star material if I've ever seen it!!!

I'm just watching that game again, some sparkling passages from Hinkley. Much promise. I love the little give and shepherd at the 10 minute mark of the first and the beautiful kick to Palmer just before.

Hinkley played his first game of the season on the weekend with Swan Districts. The general consensus from people who saw the game was that while he got plenty of the ball, his disposal was slightly ordinary. But judging from the Fremantle game, he is not alone in that regards.

8 kicks, 9 handballs, 17 disposals, 5 marks, 1 behind.

The positive is that Hinkley isn't having any problems finding the ball, and that combined with his speed would be a real asset for Fremantle.

Personally I would like to see him play this week, because if he doesn't my signature might have been a little premature.

I'm definitely not sold on Chinkers*.

He's hard at it (and full credit to our coaching staff for that - every one of our 'coachable' young players hits the contest hard) but he seems to lack class.

You can see where the question marks over his disposal have come from but what really worries me is his decision making. The really good midfielders know what they're going to do with the ball before they pick it up but Hinks' mind often appears to be going in slo-mo. He picks up the ball and only then he starts to look around to try decide what to do with it. Slow decision making will kill you in the AFL more than anything else.

We might still turn him into a solid player but I don't think he's ever going to be anything special.

*nickname courtesy of Dom.

Hey guys sorry to post on your board. Just wondering how young Clayton Hinkley is travelling and if he is a chance to get a game this season or not? I know he had a injury earlier in the year. How would he go in your team which has been very impressive so far this season and will continue improving?

He's been doing ok in the WAFL for Swan Districts, he's been playing a tagging role. Probably needs to either be more damaging with the footy or wait for Crowley to get injured.

Where do you all rate him? Whats his contract position? Do the coaching staff speak highly of him?

I have seen signs in the guy that suggest once he gets comfortable in this league he will really turn into a quality player and I hope my side is having a look at him because from an outsiders view he is a realistic target.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's probably a 60/40 chance of being delisted mate, if not this year definitely next if he doesn't show anything soon.

He was drafted in the same year as Palmer & Mayne (2007 draft) and both are up to their 50th game and will have long careers in the AFL. The same can't be guaranteed for Clinkers at this point.

Thought I'd put this up, just to keep that little glimmer of hope burning in Chris25's heart:

I still want Clayton Hinkley.

Think the Saints have enough big bodies to make it worth while.

Has never been able to make an impact in that Freo side.

Good luck fella, like what Celine Dion said, I hope that your heart will go oooonnnnnn.

I was surprised we didn't hold on to him til after trade week, might have been able to upgrade our 4th rounder..

Obviously we delisted Hinkley now because we want to get him onto our rookie list. Had we held onto him during trade week, I can just imagine all the other teams getting in his ear and convincing him to ask for a trade.

That's right. I haven't given up yet. :thumbsu:

not that it adds a lot but I watch a bit of VFL and he plays for Port Melbounre. It could just be me but he seems to battle to hold his position in VFL. I like their CHF though - compared on the drafts thread to Crameri. Billy Burstin, left footer, hard and quick (and slightly undersized) .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back