Remove this Banner Ad

blktreacle

Club Legend
May 14, 2013
UK
AFL Club
St Kilda
just noticed this article on news.com.au

http://www.news.com.au/world-news/n...-president-obama/story-fnh81jut-1226733604509

Obama feels that the native american population are offended by the name of the Washington Redskins, and if he owned the team, he would change the name.

What is everyone elses opinion?

Was wondering if they did change their name, what could the be. so feel free to come up with a new name (and logo if you feel inclined) for Washington.

(mods, feel free to move this thread, just thought id put it here first)

Thinking that it will happen, the pressure is starting to build now.

As for a new name...dunno. I like the Senators but isnt that another major team?

It will absolutely be changed eventually; it may not be in the short or even medium term though, but it will happen. I also like Razorbacks.

i dont think this needs its own thread, the debate has been going on for ages, and over the last few years its been getting louder and louder. IIRC even Gordell wants it changed. it seems like everyone except for Snyder want it changed

My god all these goody goody soft ******s, trying to change everything.
Minority always rules, which is sad.

Next Essendon will have to change there name as Bombers, sounds like terrorism.

could not dislike enough, it is because its racist, how would Australians feel if there was an AFL Team called the BlackSkins or something like that. its both racist and culturally insensitive, it will get changed because society is not putting up with racism as much anymore.

could not dislike enough, it is because its racist, how would Australians feel if there was an AFL Team called the BlackSkins or something like that. its both racist and culturally insensitive, it will get changed because society is not putting up with racism as much anymore.
pfft everything is racist now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Realistic and plausible name changes for Washington....

1. WASHINGTON SKINS

Current fans already use the shortened "Skins" to describe the team, so officially changing it to the abbreviated version would be an easy and pain-free transition.

More importantly, dropping "Red" would altogether eliminate the inherent racism from the team name—which is the goal here in the first place.

Neil Irwin of The Washington Post outlined the idea further here:

Rename the team the “Skins.” Plain old “Skins.” It is a bit of a nonsense word for a mascot, but then so is the name of the Cleveland Browns (named for first head coach Paul Brown), or the New York Knicks (technically short for Knickerbockers, but just see how many fans at Madison Square Garden can tell you what a knickerbocker is).​
Keep the burgundy and gold color scheme. Replace the face of an Indian chief on the helmet and logo with a picture of a football. Lose the Native American imagery altogether.​
If the Redskins were forced to change their name, I find it hard to come up with an easier transition. It's a compromise both sides can make with relative ease.

2. WASHINGTON WARRIORS

There's a backstory here that could set the Redskins up with another easy transition.

When owner Daniel Synder was in the early stages of setting up an arena football team in Washington, he trademarked "Warriors" with an arrow logo. The league would later go under, and the Redskins would use the spear logo in 2002.

Dave McKenna of the Washington City Paper outlined that history:

Snyder bought the DC franchise rights for the AFL shortly after taking over the Redskins. He said back then that he was going to name the indoor team the Warriors, and registered trademarks for that name and for an arrow-and-feather logo and helmet design.​
If the Redskins were forced to change, wouldn't "Warriors" be another easy switch?

The logo wouldn't have to change drastically, nor would the colors. Just the name.

3. WASHINGTON BRAVES

If history and tradition remain important to the logo in Washington, a move back to the "Braves" could be one serious option.

The team originated in 1932 as the Boston Braves, but one year later changed to the Boston Redskins. After four years in Boston, the team moved to Washington.

Going back to the team's roots is one way to stay true to tradition while appeasing those who feel the "Redskins" label is offensive. Of course, satisfying that idea would likely include the Braves not using Native American imagery in their logos or mascots.

Certainly, this change rides on tradition, but it doesn't offer a huge step forward in moving past the Native American problem "Redskins" presents now.

4. WASHINGTON FEDERALS

If for no other reason, the "Federals" nickname fits because it flows with the brands of the other Washington sports teams.

The MLB team in the city is named the "Nationals," while the NHL is represented by the "Capitals." The Federals certainly fits that theme in the nation's capital.

However, such a move would likely require a complete makeover, including logos and colors. While potentially better in the long run (no remnants of Native American imagery, consistent with other local franchises), expecting the team and fans to get on board with such a radical idea probably isn't even worth considering.

5. WASHINGTON NATIVES

Again, a move to "Natives" over "Redskins" would represent a worthy compromise for both sides.

While the team could keep its colors and tradition with Natives, the racial and offensive nature of the term "Redskins" would be put to rest. It would also put the team in a better position to truly honor the history of Native Americans in this country.

While certainly not a perfect answer (is there one?), the move isn't a radical one and could be welcomed without much rebuttal from the team and fans.

6. WASHINGTON PIGSKINS/HOGS/WARTHOGS

Now that the "Hogettes" have officially retired after 30 years, maybe the team could honor the fan tradition by calling them something similar.

"Pigskins" allows for the "skins" portion of the nickname to remain, which is something some will find very important. Also, the name obviously integrates a valuable part of the game: the actual football.

"Hogs" is more direct and to the point, but the Washington Hogs or Washington Warthogs both have a certain ring to them.

I'm not sure I could really envision the team being called either of these down the road, but both are worth considering if the Redskins are forced out of their moniker.

BEST FIT: WARRIORS/BRAVES

History, tradition and the color scheme are probably the most important factors in any potential switch.

The two names that best fit that trinity of change are the Warriors and Braves.

Owner Daniel Snyder could make the transition to Warriors in a snap, and both the colors and logo would be reminiscent of the Redskins days. It's a simple and effective way to continue what is appealing about the current setup while also moving on from the controversial Redskins moniker.

The Braves, the franchise's original name, has history and tradition on its side. The team also wouldn't need to alter the colors or logo much.

I like the "Natives" nick the best. I think it's respectful and gives recognition to the history of native American people while it could give current fans a sense of state pride and unity.

That's a shame because Braves would be my second choice. I really don't like the Warriors(it just doesn't sound great following the name Washington) or the Federals (reminds me of the mexican police "federales").

Which has gotten the most fan support?

That's a shame because Braves would be my second choice. I really don't like the Warriors(it just doesn't sound great following the name Washington) or the Federals (reminds me of the mexican police "federales").

Which has gotten the most fan support?

I'm not sure there's even been a poll of any kind done. That would be Snyder acknowledging defeat if they conducted any official fan opinion.

I agree that Warriors doesn't have a ring to it, alliteration type names tend to do that. Federals is lame. I guess Natives sounds ok.

Perhaps they just go "Skins" after all?

Skins would be the easiest transition wise, so yeah that would have to be the favorite.

I wouldn't like saying "I'm a skins fan", it makes it sound like your a fan of uncircumcised dick.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
seinfeld_jerry_240x260_052820041524.jpg

Thinking that it will happen, the pressure is starting to build now.

As for a new name...dunno. I like the Senators but isnt that another major team?

Ottawa in the NHL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back