Ole Gunnar Solskjaer does not deserve criticism

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Melbourn Victory, 49ers
This is not even banter. I am actually serious. Read on.

Why is everyone, in particular Manchester United fans, giving Ole a hard time? All I hear is “this is Manchester United”, “Manchester United is too big for Ole, “Manchester United need a manager that will win it league titles”, etc etc.

Don’t let Alex Ferguson’s success blind you in any way. Ole is doing things the Manchester United way. Let’s have a look at the league titles won by Man Utd.

1907–08, 1910–11 – all under the management of Ernest Mangnall (noting that 98% of Man Utd fans have never read or heard of this name).

1951–52, 1955–56, 1956–57, 1964–65, 1966–67 – all under the management of Matt Busby (mind you, a Liverpool captain).

1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11, 2012–13 – all under the management of Alex Ferguson. .

Manchester United was founded in 1878 as Newton Heath. Excluding Ole, in its entire 143 years of existence, it has had 24 managers. However only three, just 3 managers, have guided Manchester United to the league title. Again, I ask the question, why is everyone giving Ole a hard time? He is doing what 87.5% of Man Utd’s previous managers have done in the past. He is keeping Man Utd competitive without making them good enough to win the league title. Again, no different to 21 other managers of Man Utd.

So when United fans say “we need a new manager”, who exactly do they have in mind because let’s face it, based on the numbers, their best bet is to go back to Alex Ferguson. On average, United has a league title winning manager every 47.5 years. Yet the United fans carry on as if somehow Ole is a different specie to 87.5% of the managers United has had in its entire history. The numbers don’t lie. In its first 114, years, United won 7 league titles. Thirteen league titles then came very quicky under one manager in a 25 year period, which in statistical terms, is an outlier, and in the 9 years that have followed since Ferguson’s retirement, the United fans have acted all entitled when truth be told, for most of its history, Man Utd has gone without and Ole is doing no different to what 21 other managers of Manchester United have done in the past.

Completely entitled behaviour, is it not?.

For comparison purposes, compare with Liverpool FC, noting that I am only going as far back as the 1960s to make it seem somewhat comparable: Shankly, Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish and Klopp have all managed Liverpool to the league title. An honorary mention to Benitez, who managed Liverpool to the Champions League title.

Basically, if you’re a manager looking to win England’s league title, Liverpool is your club of destination. Convince the owners to invest in the squad, because yes, Liverpool’s owners fleece profits out of LFC too, and you have a greater chance of winning the league title for Liverpool than you do for Manchester United.

Another thing to consider is this:

Man Utd, established 1878, 143 years old, 20 league titles and 3 Champions League/European Cup titles equals 23 titles that earn you contract extensions and/or save your job, equals on average a trophy of that kind every 6.2 years.

Liverpool FC, established 1892, 129 years old, 19 league titles and 6 Champions League/European Cup titles equals 25 titles that earn you contract extensions and/or save your job, equals on average a trophy of that kind every 5.1 years.

Change my mind. The numbers don’t lie. Liverpool has more league title winning managers, more Champions League/European Cup winning managers, more major trophies and wins these major trophies more frequently than any other club in England. So don’t go giving Ole a hard time, he is only doing what is, afterall, the Newton Heath / Manchester United way.

That is all.

I’m not sure United’s history is overly relevant, really the only thing that matter is the coach getting the best out of the talent as is there somebody who can do better.

I don’t think Ole is getting the best out of that team but I guess the argument in his favour is it would be hard for any manager to get results with that midfield.

No surprise the Chelsea and Liverpool mods are letting this abomination of a troll thread stay.

All that effort and it isn't even funny. Just a sh*t humble brag
Threads usually hang around until someone says to Terrace it. You're not a fun as you used to be☹

Threads usually hang around until someone says to Terrace it. You're not a fun as you used to be☹
You don't need to Terrace a thread just because some melt like Zidane complains about it.

United lost, the Wallabies lost and I stayed up last night to watch Danny Ric * up his race on lap 1. Pretty s**t weekend mate.

You don't need to Terrace a thread just because some melt like Zidane complains about it.

United lost, the Wallabies lost and I stayed up last night to watch Danny Ric fu** up his race on lap 1. Pretty sh*t weekend mate.
Yeah, weekends like that ******* suck and ruin your whole week.

If it was up to me I'd get rid of the terrace all together and posters can just ignore the threads that they don't want to participate in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is not even banter. I am actually serious. Read on.

Why is everyone, in particular Manchester United fans, giving Ole a hard time? All I hear is “this is Manchester United”, “Manchester United is too big for Ole, “Manchester United need a manager that will win it league titles”, etc etc.

Don’t let Alex Ferguson’s success blind you in any way. Ole is doing things the Manchester United way. Let’s have a look at the league titles won by Man Utd.

1907–08, 1910–11 – all under the management of Ernest Mangnall (noting that 98% of Man Utd fans have never read or heard of this name).

1951–52, 1955–56, 1956–57, 1964–65, 1966–67 – all under the management of Matt Busby (mind you, a Liverpool captain).

1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1996–97, 1998–99, 1999–2000, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11, 2012–13 – all under the management of Alex Ferguson. .

Manchester United was founded in 1878 as Newton Heath. Excluding Ole, in its entire 143 years of existence, it has had 24 managers. However only three, just 3 managers, have guided Manchester United to the league title. Again, I ask the question, why is everyone giving Ole a hard time? He is doing what 87.5% of Man Utd’s previous managers have done in the past. He is keeping Man Utd competitive without making them good enough to win the league title. Again, no different to 21 other managers of Man Utd.

So when United fans say “we need a new manager”, who exactly do they have in mind because let’s face it, based on the numbers, their best bet is to go back to Alex Ferguson. On average, United has a league title winning manager every 47.5 years. Yet the United fans carry on as if somehow Ole is a different specie to 87.5% of the managers United has had in its entire history. The numbers don’t lie. In its first 114, years, United won 7 league titles. Thirteen league titles then came very quicky under one manager in a 25 year period, which in statistical terms, is an outlier, and in the 9 years that have followed since Ferguson’s retirement, the United fans have acted all entitled when truth be told, for most of its history, Man Utd has gone without and Ole is doing no different to what 21 other managers of Manchester United have done in the past.

Completely entitled behaviour, is it not?.

For comparison purposes, compare with Liverpool FC, noting that I am only going as far back as the 1960s to make it seem somewhat comparable: Shankly, Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish and Klopp have all managed Liverpool to the league title. An honorary mention to Benitez, who managed Liverpool to the Champions League title.

Basically, if you’re a manager looking to win England’s league title, Liverpool is your club of destination. Convince the owners to invest in the squad, because yes, Liverpool’s owners fleece profits out of LFC too, and you have a greater chance of winning the league title for Liverpool than you do for Manchester United.

Another thing to consider is this:

Man Utd, established 1878, 143 years old, 20 league titles and 3 Champions League/European Cup titles equals 23 titles that earn you contract extensions and/or save your job, equals on average a trophy of that kind every 6.2 years.

Liverpool FC, established 1892, 129 years old, 19 league titles and 6 Champions League/European Cup titles equals 25 titles that earn you contract extensions and/or save your job, equals on average a trophy of that kind every 5.1 years.

Change my mind. The numbers don’t lie. Liverpool has more league title winning managers, more Champions League/European Cup winning managers, more major trophies and wins these major trophies more frequently than any other club in England. So don’t go giving Ole a hard time, he is only doing what is, afterall, the Newton Heath / Manchester United way.

That is all.

No surprise the Chelsea and Liverpool mods are letting this abomination of a troll thread stay.

God forbid they get trolled…

You thought I was trying to be funny? That's funny, because my OP provided nothing but facts. The fact is, United has had 3 managers win it league titles in its entire history. So how is Ole much different to 21 other managers at United that have gone before him? There is none. But all we hear is entitled fans saying Ole out because he is not fit to be United's manager when the truth is, he is. The reality is, people overstate the success and imporrance of of United based on recency bias under Ferguson.
He certainly does, given United's woeful Premier League form at Old Trafford in the last 18 months, but the problems at MUFC extend well beyond Ole.

I certainly cannot see them being a global on field powerhouse again until the Glazers sell the club.

Really? They have pumped a billion into the squad and have backed Ole to the hilt. They have already gone down the path of bringing in successful managers. Maybe the United fans have to stop being so entitled and be patient, like the rest of us.

You thought I was trying to be funny? That's funny, because my OP provided nothing but facts. The fact is, United has had 3 managers win it league titles in its entire history. So how is Ole much different to 21 other managers at United that have gone before him? There is none. But all we hear is entitled fans saying Ole out because he is not fit to be United's manager when the truth is, he is. The reality is, people overstate the success and imporrance of of United based on recency bias under Ferguson.

Really? They have pumped a billion into the squad and have backed Ole to the hilt. They have already gone down the path of bringing in successful managers. Maybe the United fans have to stop being so entitled and be patient, like the rest of us.
No. I thought you were being a knob and you confirmed it.

United lost, the Wallabies lost and I stayed up last night to watch Danny Ric fu** up his race on lap 1. Pretty sh*t weekend mate.

Please tell us you are a Dallas Cowboys fan as well 😁😁😁

Remove this Banner Ad

Back