Tertiary and Continuing Online MBA

Remove this Banner Ad

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Would love to hear any feedback or advice on those here that have completed an online MBA?

Looking for advice on the best MBA for a Senior Manager and business owner, service based industry on both fronts.

Mid 30s, previously higher educated with a BED P-12 but that was a very long time ago.

Most online MBA’s I am looking at seem to be for middle management looking to progress, I am looking for something a little more geared towards senior Corporate positions with a focus on data analysis, market trends and forecasts both at home and abroad.

Would love to hear from those who have completed, involved in or are currently completing one 👍

I started mine through AIB this year. I'm not sure any focus on data analysis (?) but that's something you can easily learn on the side...

As a business owner maybe look at learning Power BI or QLIK on the side then try to incorporate that into your work for practice? Other option would be a side project using sports stats or something you're interested in?

I started mine through AIB this year. I'm not sure any focus on data analysis (?) but that's something you can easily learn on the side...

As a business owner maybe look at learning Power BI or QLIK on the side then try to incorporate that into your work for practice? Other option would be a side project using sports stats or something you're interested in?

Thanks for response mate 👍

I have looked at AIB, seems really geared towards the busy professional and not a new grad, would suit me.

What are your thoughts thus far?

I think James Cook University are my preference atm but deadset I have been back and forth so many times. So much to consider and it’s a significant investment both in terms of financial and life.

Thanks for response mate 👍

I have looked at AIB, seems really geared towards the busy professional and not a new grad, would suit me.

What are your thoughts thus far?

I think James Cook University are my preference atm but deadset I have been back and forth so many times. So much to consider and it’s a significant investment both in terms of financial and life.
AIB was recommended to me by someone else so I trusted their research.

Can definitely get course material done in spare time so it isnt too overwhelming. Their advisors reply pretty quickly and they have class forums to ask other students questions.

They give you 4 units to study first up which included marketing. I dont care for that and they allowed me to pick my 4 units instead (Im doing a GCM but it goes towards an MBA if you continue study. I may not due to no care for 3-4 units which costs around 10k)

All in all i think theyre all going to be basically the same. Unless you find something with some analytics units included i doubt itll matter where you go for the MBA.

Would love to hear any feedback or advice on those here that have completed an online MBA?

Looking for advice on the best MBA for a Senior Manager and business owner, service based industry on both fronts.

Mid 30s, previously higher educated with a BED P-12 but that was a very long time ago.

Most online MBA’s I am looking at seem to be for middle management looking to progress, I am looking for something a little more geared towards senior Corporate positions with a focus on data analysis, market trends and forecasts both at home and abroad.

Would love to hear from those who have completed, involved in or are currently completing one 👍

I finished mine in 2018, was with RMIT via Open Universities. I think all up it was a tick under 40k, seemed ok I guess, probably 60/40 in terms of good teachers to s**t ones.

Anyway the first unit was an intensive over two weekends where we had to go to the university, the rest were online. I got it done in 2 years because I did two summer semesters, so from Feb 2016 to Feb 2018. Meant I only had 6 weeks a year off the study but was worth it in the end.

Do people look down upon people who get an online MBA - as opposed to doing one once you've had a tertiary qualification?

I've gotten the impression that people don't appreciate it as much when you haven't gone the long way about it.

I'm considering doing it but don't have a degree.

Do people look down upon people who get an online MBA - as opposed to doing one once you've had a tertiary qualification?

I've gotten the impression that people don't appreciate it as much when you haven't gone the long way about it.

I'm considering doing it but don't have a degree.

Probably depends what industry but I don’t think anyone cares. It’s more about what institution you do it with I think, though even that mightnt matter for many.

So is it a measurable thing - in terms of career progression or whatever the future may hold - they'd be like "Oh nice, he has an MBA"?

So is it a measurable thing - in terms of career progression or whatever the future may hold - they'd be like "Oh nice, he has an MBA"?

I think if a potential employee sees you have an MBA they might think you have the training to be in management eventually. That is in the corporate sector, an MBA is useful for a small business owner as well I reckon.

I think if a potential employee sees you have an MBA they might think you have the training to be in management eventually. That is in the corporate sector, an MBA is useful for a small business owner as well I reckon.

I work in the car industry and am at the top level of the business I'm in but there's further development in terms of personal skillset and then future career pathways that I could go, or could at the very least have opened up to me

I'm currently doing an online Masters, although not in Business Administration.

A Masters (online or not) is very expensive and you really need to know where the value is going to come from before you go in. In my case, it's pretty straightforward - without it, I struggle to meet the selection criteria for senior jobs in my field. It's essentially a tick-box exercise.

MBAs are a bit trickier. In my experience, they are pretty rarely listed as a dealbreaker requirement for a job. They are also not necessarily a substitute for experience. The main use case for MBAs seems to be for people with a technical background who are finding it difficult to jump across into general management. They might have supervisory experience, but they need that little bit of extra credibility to convince hiring managers that they know how to 'think like a business person'.

I think if you already have 'business cred' then the value is limited - I have met a couple of accountants with MBAs and as far as I can tell it's made relatively little difference to their career trajectories. They learned some cool stuff, but probably nothing that they couldn't have picked up with self-directed learning at a fraction of the cost. I suspect this would be doubly the case for an online MBA (at least, that's how I feel about my own degree).

I would also caution that the value of a Masters varies wildly from country to country. I think in Australia something like 5% of the population is educated to a Masters level or higher - so just having a Masters degree at all is often a point of differentiation, you don't have to worry too much about where it's from. Somewhere like Germany (where the number is more like 30%) the differentiation in the quality of the degree is more important.

I have been told by an American colleague that most Australian MBAs are not even really recognised as equivalent to an MBA from a US business school, but I'm not sure if that is true or just chauvinism.

I have been told by an American colleague that most Australian MBAs are not even really recognised as equivalent to an MBA from a US business school, but I'm not sure if that is true or just chauvinism.

I got this impression also due to the fact here you can attain an MBA without having first got a business degree...

Seemingly takes away the 'prestige' of it if you skipped the first part

Remove this Banner Ad

Back