FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

he spoke to a crowd that i was in regarding wayne carey who didnt rock up and do his episode. didnt like that
He also mentioned it on the final Open Mike where he was the guest being interviewed by Whately and Robbo, said it was all set and Carey basically got cold feet and didn't turn up.

Would love for the show to come back in someway or form, I understand he was struggling for guests at the end but there are so many ex-players/coaches from the last 10 years which would be interesting viewing.

Maybe a younger journo would suit and relate better to the more recently retired players. I know podcasts are around with in a similar mould to Open Mike, Howie Games and This is your sporting life on SEN (not sure if they are still producing this)

Regardless Open Mike for the most part was great viewing and for someone likely myself who grew up toward the latter years of Mike's media reign I learned a lot about my club from interviews with past greats (KB, Roach, Tony Jewell, Jim Jess even BT)

He also mentioned it on the final Open Mike where he was the guest being interviewed by Whately and Robbo, said it was all set and Carey basically got cold feet and didn't turn up.

Would love for the show to come back in someway or form, I understand he was struggling for guests at the end but there are so many ex-players/coaches from the last 10 years which would be interesting viewing.

Maybe a younger journo would suit and relate better to the more recently retired players. I know podcasts are around with in a similar mould to Open Mike, Howie Games and This is your sporting life on SEN (not sure if they are still producing this)

Regardless Open Mike for the most part was great viewing and for someone likely myself who grew up toward the latter years of Mike's media reign I learned a lot about my club from interviews with past greats (KB, Roach, Tony Jewell, Jim Jess even BT)
yes. he also recounted that he found carey in a cafe after the fact and told him he was gutless. carey agreed

Mike said he asked Scott West but he wouldn’t do it.

Greg ' I'm not saying I changed the game ........but I did ' Williams

He is great to listen too when interviewed
With Williams, I had to admire his no-bullshit responses. Didnt shirk from the the fact that he wanted the individual accolades (Brownlows) and to be man of the match every game he played. Also acknowledged that once when Parkin put him in the forwardline for a spell and Fraser Brown in the middle, Diesel quickly moved himself to the centre and there was nearly a biff between the two players.

These responses might be considered 'selfish' but reality is, if Diesel is getting best-on its probably the best thing for the team he's playing for as well.

Yeah, he became obsessed with what players were earning

Perhaps, but it might be asking questions many people want to know. Particularly in the mid-80's with some of the money flying around Edelston's Sydney, Skase's Bears etc. Capper on $400k, whilst most VFL teams were struggling the survive.

Remember Gary Ayres saying at the end of his career at Hawthorn he and a few of the senior players were on around $200k, still quite a bit for the time and especially given Hawthorn were in a bit of a financially precarious situation. Player payments are part of the story and whilst its a bit awkward, good journo's should ask the tough questions.

At its peak, it was brilliant and there were some cracking interviews.

As time progressed, Mike became more concerned with the subject's pay packets, plus they were dipping lower into the pool of available and willing guests, and the quality diminished.

The issue nowadays would be too many of the current crop that have been sanitised through years of media training and being silenced when trying to be an individual character
(and not the manufactured Dane Swan character, sitting there smirking with some form of detached "too cool for this" approach).

Definitely agree with this. Prolific modern players are subject to so much media coaching now that it makes most of them indistinguishable from one another.

Definitely agree with this. Prolific modern players are subject to so much media coaching now that it makes most of them indistinguishable from one another.

They really are. I've gone from being curious about certain players from all clubs to know not caring at all whether I hear another footballer interviewed ever again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back