Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
New Lion's roundabout way back to Australia

Michael Whiting, AFL Media

Oct 25, 2019 8:53AM

Orla_AFLW.jpg

Related

Orla O'Dwyer was born in Sydney, has lived most of her life in Ireland and now calls Brisbane home.

It was a roundabout way of getting back to the country of her birth, but the Tipperary Gaelic football and camogie star is quickly settling into her new life as an AFLW player with the Lions.

She became the first Irish woman to sign with Brisbane, inking a deal mid-year, and after a 24-hour travel to Australia less than a fortnight ago, was unveiled at the Gabba with Brisbane's new draftees on Wednesday.

O'Dwyer said the opportunity was too good to pass up.

"I played camogie (essentially a women's version of hurling) and Gaelic football in Ireland and they're amateur sports … to get the opportunity to come overseas and play a sport at a more professional level is obviously something every athlete aspires to do," she said.

"It's definitely a big challenge but I'm definitely looking forward to it."

Now 20, O'Dwyer was born in Sydney but spent just the first year of her life in Australia before her parents ended a four-year travelling expedition by taking their new family back to their Irish homeland.

A proven performer at both of her chosen sports, the ever-smiling O'Dwyer said having so many Irish players in the AFLW – there's now 18 in total – gave her confidence.

"A lot of the skills are transferable from Gaelic football, the reading of the game, the kicking and the way the game works, it's just the oval shape that's different from the sphere, it's hard to get used to," she said.

"Some of the girls that came over last year, there was five of them, Aisling McCarthy (Western Bulldogs) was from the same county as me, and she got on very well.

"Of course there's Cora Staunton (GWS) who was one of the first out here has got on so well.

"Seeing how successful they were, it gave us in Ireland (the thought), 'if I got a chance I'd love to go as well'.

"It's definitely a more physical game, lots more contact, but I'm looking forward to that."

Orla O'Dwyer: Professional opportunity is every player's dream

gettyimages-1244869345-e1669480039409.jpg

Since her move to Brisbane in 2019, Tipperary's Orla O'Dwyer has been one of the most successful Irish imports into the AFLW.

The former Tipperary dual star has been a crucial part of the Brisbane Lions midfield, leading them to a Premiership in 2021, before becoming the Irish women to win an All-Australian in 2022.

While O'Dwyer had another fantastic season in 2022, scoring two goals, making three assists and putting in an incredible 48 tackles, her Brisbane side fell short in the Grand Final to a Melbourne side containing Dublin's Sinead Goldrick and Armagh's Blaithain Mackin.

As the 24-year-old enjoys some time to rest ahead of the new season in August, O'Dwyer looked back on the moment she decided to make the move to Australia, with Cora Staunton's success a big motive.

"The AFLW is pretty new, there has only been seven seasons it started in 2017, so there wasn't really much visions or matches to watch. Cora Staunton was the first one over, and then you had the likes of Aisling McCarthy, who I played with at Tipperary, and Sarah Rowe and Ailish Considine.

"I always remember there was a documentary that Cora made that was shown back home that showed her first season with GWS. I remember watching it and I was fascinated by the facilities, by the team, by living in Australia, by the weather, and how she adapted to it.

"It probably came sooner than I expected in 2019. I was seeing little clips of how the other Irish girls were doing, and they were all getting games, which was huge, and they were doing well for all their clubs.

"Lucky enough a few clubs came back, and Brisbane liked what they saw, and I liked the idea of them. I knew if I did get the opportunity I would grab it with two hands and give it a go."

Despite being a dual code player in Ireland, the Tipperary native admitted it took some time to get used to playing a new sport at the other side of the world.

New, unfamiliar surroundings, combined with the pressure of quickly adapting to a new sport with new teammates in a new lifestyle, the 24-year-old did have her concerns if she would succeed.

She also took on a new college course in Australia, going from a teaching degree in Limerick to studying Business in Brisbane. The adjustment to an active, more professional lifestyle was one of the main differences when arriving to her new adventure.

It was not until Brisbane's 2021 Premiership success that O'Dwyer truly felt she was a key player in Brisbane, easing the pressure she had felt as a new addition to the side.

"With Australia itself, I think it's just such an active lifestyle. When you get up at 6:00am, there is so many people up walking dogs, running around, and I think the weather helps them in that regard.

"Within the team itself, I found it very hard to getting used to asking lots of questions, messing up drills, asking what drill this is and things you take up so quickly back home from doing the same drills and playing since you were five or six years old.

"To be coming out here and messing up drills, it affected me mentally and made me realise how hard this game is. It took a lot of time and time is what made me settle.

"For the first few seasons I was here, I was so petrified at the end of every game that I was going to get dropped. I was thinking I didn't do well enough, I didn't touch the ball enough, I didn't score enough goals, I didn't do this for my teammate.

"I think it's all a learning curve. The success I have had winning a Grand Final, it shows how far I have come.

Irish contingent

While the amount of Irish players when O'Dwyer made the move may have been low in 2019, the numbers have certainly increased in the following years.

This coming season will see 32 players from Ireland line out in the AFLW, as more players from Ladies football seek the move Down Under. Dublin's Jennifer Dunne will join O'Dwyer at Brisbane in August.

The Irish influence in teams is growing, with several players impressing last season, and with the success showing no signs of slowing down, it's likely that number is set to continue.

"To hear familiar voices and familiar accents is always nice. We all know the pact we took to come here, we all gave up a lot back home to come and play here, so we can connect and that level and know what it has taken to get here.

"Seeing how well Irish players are doing over here, and I suppose competing against them for your counties and then seeing that they're actually excelling in a different sport that you play as well, that's what made me want to come over.

“But I think in recent years as well, AFLW is obviously professional, and you get paid to play it and GAA is still amateur. So I think the opportunity to actually play a sport professionally and get paid for it is every player's dream.

"I think that kind of lifestyle would really suit a lot of players too. And even in the last year we've had, I think it's a 94% pay increase with AFLW, and it's getting a lot more exposure even here, but also back home and in other countries as well.

“And I think the AFL has done huge there with trying to really promote the women's game and I think a lot of Irish people have seen opportunities for that to come over and play, whether they're club players or if they're county players."

Excited, Nervous, Ready: Orla Thinking Big in 2023

orla-cover.png

Orla O’Dwyer will enter her fifth AFLW season as one of the senior members of a Brisbane Lions outfit gearing up for another preseason.

“I’m definitely excited, there is a lot of excited but nervous girls around talking about it, but we know preseason, what it is like and how unpredictable it can be,” O’Dwyer said.

“There’s always some really hard sessions and we know we may not like it while we are in them, but it will be good to get back around the girls.

“To have a proper schedule and to get back into it with the goal of getting a premiership at the end of it is really excited.”

With the move to the team’s new base at Brighton Homes Arena in Springfield now fully complete, O’Dwyer and her teammates are able to fully immerse themselves in what the facility has to offer.

After the 2022 AFLW Grand Final being played at the venue, this will be the first prolonged training period the team will have had there.

“We had a glimpse of it at the end of last year with the grand final being there but to have the facility now and everything in the one area is amazing,” she said.

“It’s still so surreal even being around the club now the boys are in the middle of their season, so I think it’s been good with the integration of the programs and working with the staff coming across them each day too has been great.

“It’s been fantastic and will certainly make preseason that little bit easier.”

Brisbane had a busy off-season with the new Priority Signing Period, trade and draft.

However, despite the off-season personnel changes, O’Dwyer feels like there is a renewed sense of opportunity for the current group of Lions.

“We had some changes throughout the off-season losing established players like Emily (Bates), Greta (Bodey), Jesse Wardlaw and Lulu (Pullar) as well,” she said.

“But the big thing is there is so much opportunity for change, a lot of girls are now given the chance to step up.

“I’m really excited to see what happens, we have such a great core group, and we had a few new girls come in who have slotted in perfectly and bring some experience.

“Ellie (Hampson) and Jade (Pregelj) from the Suns, another Irish girl coming in which is good and bringing Courtney over from basketball and adding Poppy as well.

“I think it’s exciting to see what we can do, and I think the unexpected is what I’m most excited about.”

orla-feature.png

Coming into her fifth season in the AFLW and closing in on 50 games, O’Dwyer is seen as leader of the team.

The 2021 premiership player is aiming to lead by example and continue to improve on her game.

“More in leadership, leading by example or getting around the girls more and being that leader,” she said.

“Trying new positions and being that little bit more versatile and not as predictable as I may have been last season.

“I think there is always room for improvement especially me being new to the game too, there’s lots of things I’m still learning each day.

“Becoming that bit stronger and contested and go and win my own footy.”

O’Dwyer and the rest of the Lions squad will begin their preseason training on Monday 29 May, with the 2023 AFLW Season to start in the first weekend of September.

O’Dwyer the Time Trial Queen Shatters the Record Books

orla-cover.png

The annual 2km time trial heralded the start of the Brisbane Lions AFLW pre-season on Monday night as the squad prepares for the 2023 NAB AFLW Season.

A blistering Orla O’Dwyer shaved 18 seconds off her own personal best time and the Club record to take out the time trial as the Lions were put to the test over five laps of the Queensland State Athletics Centre track.

“A lot of us have worked hard in the off-season over the past couple of months with our running,” O’Dwyer said.

“You’re always happy to get a PB, it is a nice feeling and just shows that the works pays off.

“Also, a lot of girls were able to get PB’s which is great to see and it’s a good steppingstone.

“That’s the first one in the bank and I’m sure there will be lots more testing to come this week.”

A total of six personal bests were logged on the night, thrilling Lions Women’s High-Performance Manager, Matt Green who says it sets up for an exciting for the season ahead.

“Orla is always a good runner but for her to go better again this year and set a new club record that was incredible to see,” he said.

“She has been working hard on her running; it’s one of her great weapons but to see her go better again is fantastic.

Excited, Nervous, Ready: Orla Thinking Big in 2023

orla-cover.png

Orla O’Dwyer will enter her fifth AFLW season as one of the senior members of a Brisbane Lions outfit gearing up for another preseason.

“I’m definitely excited, there is a lot of excited but nervous girls around talking about it, but we know preseason, what it is like and how unpredictable it can be,” O’Dwyer said.

“There’s always some really hard sessions and we know we may not like it while we are in them, but it will be good to get back around the girls.

“To have a proper schedule and to get back into it with the goal of getting a premiership at the end of it is really excited.”

With the move to the team’s new base at Brighton Homes Arena in Springfield now fully complete, O’Dwyer and her teammates are able to fully immerse themselves in what the facility has to offer.

After the 2022 AFLW Grand Final being played at the venue, this will be the first prolonged training period the team will have had there.

“We had a glimpse of it at the end of last year with the grand final being there but to have the facility now and everything in the one area is amazing,” she said.

“It’s still so surreal even being around the club now the boys are in the middle of their season, so I think it’s been good with the integration of the programs and working with the staff coming across them each day too has been great.

“It’s been fantastic and will certainly make preseason that little bit easier.”

Brisbane had a busy off-season with the new Priority Signing Period, trade and draft.

However, despite the off-season personnel changes, O’Dwyer feels like there is a renewed sense of opportunity for the current group of Lions.

“We had some changes throughout the off-season losing established players like Emily (Bates), Greta (Bodey), Jesse Wardlaw and Lulu (Pullar) as well,” she said.

“But the big thing is there is so much opportunity for change, a lot of girls are now given the chance to step up.

“I’m really excited to see what happens, we have such a great core group, and we had a few new girls come in who have slotted in perfectly and bring some experience.

“Ellie (Hampson) and Jade (Pregelj) from the Suns, another Irish girl coming in which is good and bringing Courtney over from basketball and adding Poppy as well.

“I think it’s exciting to see what we can do, and I think the unexpected is what I’m most excited about.”

Coming into her fifth season in the AFLW and closing in on 50 games, O’Dwyer is seen as leader of the team.

The 2021 premiership player is aiming to lead by example and continue to improve on her game.

“More in leadership, leading by example or getting around the girls more and being that leader,” she said.

“Trying new positions and being that little bit more versatile and not as predictable as I may have been last season.

“I think there is always room for improvement especially me being new to the game too, there’s lots of things I’m still learning each day.

“Becoming that bit stronger and contested and go and win my own footy.”

O’Dwyer and the rest of the Lions squad will begin their preseason training on Monday 29 May, with the 2023 AFLW Season to start in the first weekend of September.

Lions Irish Star to Join Exclusive 50 Club

230364_AFLW_Milestone_Games_Orla_O-Dwyer_50_Article_header.jpg

Brisbane Lions Irish dasher Orla O’Dwyer will celebrate 50 games against the Adelaide Crows on Saturday, becoming one of only a handful of Irish players to reach the milestone.

A 2019 recruit from Tipperary in Ireland, O’Dwyer was a Gaelic football star before making the life-changing decision to uproot her life and move to a city she knew little about.

“It’s surreal considering I only came out a couple of years ago, and to have 50 games under my belt is crazy,” O’Dwyer said.

“When I first came out here, I didn’t really know what the sport was, any of the rules, how to kick the ball, the game-play sense.

“To be considered a 50-gamer now is huge, and I’m so excited for it.”

O’Dwyer was part of a new wave of Lions talent for coach Craig Starcevich’s side when debuting in Round 1, 2020 alongside current teammates Belle Dawes, Cathy Svarc, Lily Postlethwaite and Dakota Davidson.

Fast forward a year and O’Dwyer became the second Irish player to win an AFLW premiership when the Lions took down Adelaide in the 2021 Grand Final.

Now in the midst of her fourth year and fifth season in the AFLW system, O’Dwyer is set to become only the third Irishwoman to reach 50 games when she runs out onto Brighton Homes Arena on Saturday.

A player looking to following in the footsteps of O’Dwyer is the Lions newest Irish recruit Jennifer Dunne.

Speaking ahead of O’Dwyer’s history-making milestone match, Dunne labelled her Irish teammate as an inspiration and mentor for her.

“She was one of the initial players to come out here and make a name for herself, at that time the competition wasn’t as big as it is now, so she took a risk and it’s paid off,” Dunne said.

“Orla has become this household name back in Ireland, whenever I looked at AFLW things back home she would always pop up, she has as many fans as home as she does here.

“It is really nice to have her here, see how she goes about things, how hard she works and being away from family, how resilient she is to be able to perform at such a consistently high level.

“She will take it all in her stride and not really want a huge fuss made but it is obviously amazing and she deserves to be acknowledged.”

O'Dwyer: I'm So Excited for My 50th Game

It's almost fitting that Brisbane’s flying Irish winger Orla O’Dwyer will play her milestone 50th game on Saturday against Adelaide.

It was the Crows in round one, 2020, that O’Dwyer made her AFLW debut against, and the same opponent she became a premiership player against the following year.

Quickly establishing herself as one of the best players in her position in the competition, the 25-year-old said it was hard to believe how far she’s come in such a short period of time.

“It’s surreal considering I only came out a couple of years ago, and to have 50 games under my belt is crazy,” O’Dwyer said on Wednesday.

“When I first came out here, I didn’t really know what the sport was, any of the rules, how to kick the ball, the game-play sense.

“To be considered a 50-gamer now is huge, and I’m so excited for it.”

O’Dwyer didn’t take long to settle in, kicking a goal with her first touch on debut, marking the ball about 25m from goal and immediately swinging on to her trusted left boot to finish.

That game at Brisbane’s Hickey Park was not only pivotal for her, but the Lions in general, as their rebuilding team also featured first-up appearances for current cornerstones Belle Dawes, Lily Postlethwaite, Cathy Svarc and Dakota Davidson.

Since then the hard-running winger has earned All-Australian selection – the first Irishwoman to do so – and become an integral part of Craig Starcevich’s team.

With retired Giant Cora Staunton and Collingwood’s Sarah Rowe, at the weekend, already having reached 50 games, O’Dwyer said the interest in Australian rules football in Ireland was surging.

“We’re taking over,” she laughed.

“I think a lot of younger girls see that as a path, coming over here, especially playing Gaelic football and camogie, which have some translatable skills.

“A few girls might message me to see what it’s about.

“Back home it’s an amateur sport, but you represent your county and you have great pride in that and to leave that behind can be very hard.

“It depends where girls are at in their lives.

“If they want to take that risk to come to Australia to play and get paid here, or if they want to continue their life at home and become a household name for their county, which is a huge achievement as well.

“There’s definitely that divide between what you want and where you can go.

“It’s exceptional now the amount of opportunities for women’s sport and it’s great to be part of it.”

Although O’Dwyer says she loves her annual trips to Ireland over Christmas, for the immediate future, Australia and the AFLW is home.

And that continues at Brighton Homes Arena at the weekend, where the Lions are trying to upend the unbeaten Crows.

“It’s amazing how far I’ve come and hopefully we can get a win at the weekend for 50 games. It’d be nice.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Orla O’Dwyer had the ball in this game, she looked as if she was going to cause damage to the ball. Her goal in the third term to put the Lions ahead was a clever but hard-working goal where she had to push forward to get to the end of it. She finished with 11 kicks, with 348 metres gained.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back