Eastdog

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Manchester United
Not sure if there is a thread on here about this but thought I would start one.

I think this is big part if we are to succeed again going forward.

I would love to play the way the Pies and Giants (hate to say it) play. They play a great brand under Macrae and Kingsley. Play through the corridor take the game on.

You need buy in and the fitness base to do that. How over the off season should we approach this going into next year.

To do so we need to have the right player structure, If we line up something like this:

FB: Cleary Jones JJ
HB: Dale JOD Richards
C: Gallagher Libba Poulter
HF: West Naughton Baz
FF: Lobb Marra Flea
R: English Bont Treloar
INT: CD Buss Macrae Williams

We need to have more pace in the side and players who run and gun Clizz and Gags need a big preseason but need to be backed to play how they do in the 2s and take the game on and take risks,

We have a fantastic marking forward line and if you play them all in their right positions we are significantly better

Our BF-preferred game plan?
Or the one we are most likely to see?

The former we can theorise about for weeks but is ultimately just an amusement to keep us occupied in the off season.

The latter will be highly dependent on how our coaching structure and their individual roles are set. Including whether Bevo (if he is still in the job) takes a back seat on match day moves … and possibly on the game plan itself.

More corridor movement would be gold for this group. We'd have to dump the way we defend to accomodate it which is also a good thing. Less pushing forward with a high press and more hanging back in case of a turnover.

More confident and aggressive ball movement. Stronger 1v1 defending. Better ball use. More cohesive forward line.

No major changes expect how we move the ball. We just need to be doing the basics better for longer.

Would like to see a real arrogance and confidence with how we play next year. Something we haven’t see over the last couple of seasons.

Would also like to see some of the fringe players and new inclusions really pushing for selection, putting pressure on all 22 spots.

Would also like to see some of the fringe players and new inclusions really pushing for selection, putting pressure on all 22 spots.

That is important. Those players that might be lesser known around the league but play a role for the team can be very important. The Blues seem to have got those role players.

No more handballs sideways or backwards.
No more kicking sideways or backwards.
Prioritise kicking over handballing.

Tag the opposition's best midfielder.
Man mark the opposition's best forward.
Man mark the opposition's most creative defender.

Do not press up too high when we have possession.

Play man on man when we don't have possession.

KISS principal

Revamping who it is that is in charge of our midfield is the number one issue going into the season.

Its nominally Brendon Lade's responsibility and he may've done wonders for the careers of Tim English and Jordan Sweet, but the midfield is just a mess. It's absurd that a team with 2 starting AA mids and Libba finished a fading 9th on the ladder. One would think that this combo was the scaffold from which the entire team should hang. Yet here we are.

Im not sure if its a chicken or egg thing when it comes to our perceived lack of pace.

Do we bring up an extra because we lack pace. Or because our coach is dogmatically wedded to a plan that won us a premiership and save for 30 minutes of (redacted from memory) would've won us a third?

We need to shake up with how we set up and around the ball and find out. Because something, something, definition of madness.

In an era where teams are playing an expansive outside game. One where we bring an extra into the contest in the hope of maintaining the ball in close feels as anachronistic as a woolen jersey.

Where do Bailey Smith and Adam Treloar fit into the starting rotation?

What are they going to do with Jack Macrae?

Defensive i50. We cannot go into another season where Aaron Naughton is our best defensive forward. It's an indictment on the likes of Weightman, West, Smith, Macrae or whatever random mid is playing hf that this is the case. For mine this along with our stoppages is where all of our problems start and it has a cascading effect right across the ground.

Actually settle on who playing the pivotal role on the wings.

Settle on two KPD. I dont care if it's Jones and any of Keath, Gardner, JO'D, Busslinger or Darcy. Just back in a pair.

Im pretty sure that none of this was new to this season and that there was a lot of talk centred around us revamping our style of play coming into it. So being a bulldogs fan, I'll put that in the rear vision mirror where hope springs eternal that this is the year that the powers that be address issues that have been obvious for a while now.

Last edited:
I want to see our forwards running back into an open 50 on a fast break like every single other club in the league can manage to do. Think Toby Greene’s goals in Ballarat. Naughton and JUH to then turn and hit up at the footy

Revamping who it is that is in charge of our midfield is the number one issue going into the season.

Its nominally Brendon Lade's responsibility and he may've done wonders for the careers of Tim English and Jordan Sweet, but the midfield is just a mess. It's absurd that a team with 2 starting AA mids and Libba finished a fading 9th on the ladder. One would think that this combo was the scaffold from which the entire team should hang. Yet here we are.

Im not sure if its a chicken or egg thing when it comes to our perceived lack of pace.

Do we do it because we lack pace. Or because our coach is dogmatically wedded to a plan that won us a premiership and save for 30 minutes of (redacted from memory) would've won us a third?

We need to shake up with how we set up and around the ball and find out. Because something, something, definition of madness.

In an era where teams are playing an expansive outside game. One where we bring an extra into the contest in the hope of maintaining the ball in close feels as anachronistic as a woolen jersey.

Where do Bailey Smith and Adam Treloar fit into the starting rotation?

What are they going to do with Jack Macrae?

Defensive i50. We cannot go into another season where Aaron Naughton is our best defensive forward. It's an indictment on the likes of Weightman, West, Smith, Macrae or whatever random mid is playing hf that this is the case. For mine this along with our stoppages is where all of our problems start and it has a cascading effect right across the ground.

Actually settle on who playing the pivotal role on the wings.

Settle on two KPD. I dont care if it's Jones and any of Keath, Gardner, JO'D, Busslinger or Darcy. Just back in a pair.

Im pretty sure that none of this was new to this season and that there was a lot of talk centred around us revamping our style of play coming into it. So being a bulldogs fan, I'll put that in the rear vision mirror where hope springs eternal that this is the year that the powers that be address issues that have been obvious for a while now.
In all seriousness. This is a great post.

Personally I'd play a combination Baz, Daniel and Macrea on the wings. IMO all 3 are better than Poulter and Baker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In all seriousness. This is a great post.

Personally I'd play a combination Baz, Daniel and Macrea on the wings. IMO all 3 are better than Poulter and Baker.
All 3 have had well below average seasons by their standards and become too comfortable and it has nothing to do where they’re being played imo. Poulter and to a lesser extent Baker are at least prepared to work both ways.

Guard space
Set up offensively for centre bounces at all costs
Make “no target” you main target in the forward line as opposition defenders won’t expect the chaos ball
?????
Premiership/profit

How about putting our best mids in the most effective positions. Not starting Macrae at half forward and Smith on the bench.
Replace Poulter and Williams on the wings with them.

The lesser players can fill the gaps

And not bringing a forward as an extra mid.

I’m not sure our personal can implement the game plans the current tops sides are planning, we carry to many players with no leg speed or gut running capability. So many stats last year proved this, GPS numbers, repeat sprints etc. We need some tough calls this trade period yet I’m not sure the club will do it. Unfortunately Bevo is stubborn so it will likely be more of the same.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm from a basketball playing and coaching background. IMO there would be numerous game plans depending on the situation for example, forwards, midfielders and defenders should each have a system for when we have the ball and when we don't have the ball, when a team gets a run on and when we get a run on, how to defend a kick out from a point and what to do when we have a kick out, ruckman taps at a centre bounce and then for around the ground, what to do with 2minutes to go and were down a point and when were up a point and then the connection between defence, midfield and forwards. Plus kicking into the wind and wet games etc etc. I can assure this happens in basketball and we teach these systems from a very young age fundamentally at first but then continuially building over the years.

I'd love to know how many of theses systems we have in place and how many of our players know these systems and their role in them. From what I've seen we are well behind the top sides and those teams that are system based rather than individual based.

I'm from a basketball playing and coaching background. IMO there would be numerous game plans depending on the situation for example, forwards, midfielders and defenders should each have a system for when we have the ball and when we don't have the ball, when a team gets a run on and when we get a run on, how to defend a kick out from a point and what to do when we have a kick out, ruckman taps at a centre bounce and then for around the ground, what to do with 2minutes to go and were down a point and when were up a point and then the connection between defence, midfield and forwards. Plus kicking into the wind and wet games etc etc. I can assure this happens in basketball and we teach these systems from a very young age fundamentally at first but then continuially building over the years.

I'd love to know how many of theses systems we have in place and how many of our players know these systems and their role in them. From what I've seen we are well behind the top sides and those teams that are system based rather than individual based.
Pendles?

Not sure if there is a thread on here about this but thought I would start one.

I think this is big part if we are to succeed again going forward.

I would love to play the way the Pies and Giants (hate to say it) play. They play a great brand under Macrae and Kingsley. Play through the corridor take the game on.

You need buy in and the fitness base to do that. How over the off season should we approach this going into next year.
You'd probably need the best defensive assistant in the league to turnaround this abomination in one offseason.

It's hard to believe we wouldn't train for such things.

However from watching performances these last couple of years it appears the execution isn't there. At least not as good as our opposition. If we're in a close one we have to remember that both sides would have trained for such a situation - neither side should just be making it up as they go. However only one side can win so it comes down to the odd bounce of the ball or the freak efforts of a few individuals.

Or it may be that one side is better drilled and less likely to lose its sh*t in such a situation. Maybe we train for it but the mental discipline just goes out the window? I'd love to know how these things keep getting away from us, particularly in 2023.

It's hard to believe we wouldn't train for such things.

However from watching performances these last couple of years it appears the execution isn't there. At least not as good as our opposition. If we're in a close one we have to remember that both sides would have trained for such a situation - neither side should just be making it up as they go. However only one side can win so it comes down to the odd bounce of the ball or the freak efforts of a few individuals.

Or it may be that one side is better drilled and less likely to lose its sh*t in such a situation. Maybe we train for it but the mental discipline just goes out the window? I'd love to know how these things keep getting away from us, particularly in 2023.
I think other sides have a better system and their players know the role better. You cannot cover every circumstance and players need to adapt to the conditions so either our players aren't up to it, they don't understand their role or the coaching is inadequate.

Sorry, but you’re being incredibly naive.

Every single thing you’ve listed has been part of local junior footballing teachings for the last 10-15 years and you’ve even stated it’s part of junior basketball development, yet you suggest they aren’t part of an elite AFL footballing program?

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back