Over Ear Headphones

Remove this Banner Ad

I have the Sony wx1000xm4 and they're absolutely brilliant.
1715601759238.png

The wx1000xm5 exists now, but I haven't tried them.

still got the blue/orange audio-technica mh50x from 15 years ago, very reliable and clear sound, now you can get newer versions with bluetooth and improved quality.

Still has the product page on the website, lol, here: https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/ath-m50xbl

anyone else wish they could spend a day with all the headphones brands just to experience the difference sound quality, would be so cool just to find out.

Last edited:
My Sonys have been solid as well.

The only annoyance is they are only able to be recharged when not in use and mic only works wirelessly
Also have a pair and the phone call quality is very sub par with poor mic build Excellent audio quality tho

My Sonys have been solid as well.

The only annoyance is they are only able to be recharged when not in use and mic only works wirelessly
I guess they assume with 30 hours of battery life that's not going to exceed many people's usage, and beyond that there's always the wired option.

Pretty sure using a headphone jack eliminates all the smarts not just the microphone, so no NC and other controls either, which is fair enough since you're replacing all digital controls (over bluetooth) with three bits of wire.

I guess they assume with 30 hours of battery life that's not going to exceed many people's usage, and beyond that there's always the wired option.

Pretty sure using a headphone jack eliminates all the smarts not just the microphone, so no NC and other controls either, which is fair enough since you're replacing all digital controls (over bluetooth) with three bits of wire.
They do seem to last for ever so definitely no complaints there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

did a deep dive on this a couple of years ago. i was researching the best RF wireless + bluetooth, but could also do passive with cords. took a real good look some of at the steelseries over-ear, but reviews always seemed to say they fell apart. for a $300-$400+ pair of phones, i just couldn't do it despite having all the features i wanted. i needed it to stay in one piece first and foremost.

now i just run with some real shitty stuff. i have a pair of $15 JBL wired earphones for my going-to-sleep music. for $15 they have been incredible with a very good sound stage. and a pair of crap kmart bluetooth over-ears that do the job, which i originally bought for my kid. i walk the dog with them on, or go on the exercise bike and have started using them at the pc now.

i do find that using exercise bike + over-ear headphones does make me warmer, as all the over-ear headphone reviews will tell you, can heat up. on-ear - there's always a tendency for them to not nestle in a way that's comfortable or with best sound, easily can come off. in-ear - again, anything firm and plastic doesn't like my ears, so i need ones with soft inserts.

audio technica ATH-M50x my go to recommendation. in that price point dont think you can get much better. unsure if they come in wireless model if that is a dealbreaker for you. had my pair for over a decade now.
I had a pair, as a step up from your cheaper JB Hifi they're pretty good, the build is fairly solid and they're versatile. Problem is once you spend a little bit more, especially on some of the open backs out there, you really notice their deficiencies. Bass is there but it really isn't clean, some of the highs can get quite harsh, and compared to some of the stuff close to it's price point it doesn't quite stack up. I wore them on international flights and found they got a bit hot after a while too, and the upgraded pads I got that were recommended by a lot of people made them sound a little strange.

I paid about the same for my M50x, Fidelio X2, and Galaxy Bud Pros, I'd put the M50x on the bottom of that list. If you keep an eye out for deals it's not hard to find better options, like this deal going currently

1716344931288.png

And yeah, there's a M50xBT2 model but at close to $400 I'd wait for a Sony 1000XM4/5 deal.

did a deep dive on this a couple of years ago. i was researching the best RF wireless + bluetooth, but could also do passive with cords. took a real good look some of at the steelseries over-ear, but reviews always seemed to say they fell apart. for a $300-$400+ pair of phones, i just couldn't do it despite having all the features i wanted. i needed it to stay in one piece first and foremost.

now i just run with some real shitty stuff. i have a pair of $15 JBL wired earphones for my going-to-sleep music. for $15 they have been incredible with a very good sound stage. and a pair of crap kmart bluetooth over-ears that do the job, which i originally bought for my kid. i walk the dog with them on, or go on the exercise bike and have started using them at the pc now.

i do find that using exercise bike + over-ear headphones does make me warmer, as all the over-ear headphone reviews will tell you, can heat up. on-ear - there's always a tendency for them to not nestle in a way that's comfortable or with best sound, easily can come off. in-ear - again, anything firm and plastic doesn't like my ears, so i need ones with soft inserts.
Steelseries Arctis seemed to be the one everyone raved about, I assume a bunch of Youtubers were paid to flog the things, seemed to be a heap of issues with them though and like a lot of that kind of stuff you paid a "gaming tax". Low latency sound was probably the only redeeming feature, and I'm not sure exactly how good that really was.

I never understood exercising with over-ear headphones, I liked the original Galaxy Buds because the wings kept them pretty secure, these are possibly a reasonable option for you if you want wireless

Steelseries Arctis seemed to be the one everyone raved about, I assume a bunch of Youtubers were paid to flog the things, seemed to be a heap of issues with them though and like a lot of that kind of stuff you paid a "gaming tax". Low latency sound was probably the only redeeming feature, and I'm not sure exactly how good that really was.

I never understood exercising with over-ear headphones, I liked the original Galaxy Buds because the wings kept them pretty secure, these are possibly a reasonable option for you if you want wireless

i think i'm too lazy to use any other phones while exercising. they certainly make sure you're gonna sweat. last few times on the bike i haven't even bothered with music.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back