Pantera

Remove this Banner Ad

wicked wicked band. Peaked at Far beyond driven but the two before were amazing. Dime is a legend, Vinnie is a legend, Anselmo is a w***er.

I hear ya.
Such an awesome group.
If you haven;t seen it already try and get your hands on a copy of 'Pantera- behind the music'. It follows the group from the very start of proceedings, with Dime and Vinnie in spandex suits, playing 18th birthday parties right thru to the break up of the band and the murder of Dime.
It's quite sad in reality. There's actual footage of the shooting which is like a kick in the guts, but the doco as a whole is top notch.

The 'Vulgar Video' still gets me in the mood to party like no other video on earth.

man that is one of the saddest documentrys i have watched. when he gets shot, its chaos. its so sad, everyones best friend shot before their eyes. also how phil isnt allowd to go to dime's funeral. soo sad.

Everyone has a different take on Anselmo.
To some he's a macho w***er, to others he's a hero and to some he's just not worth thinking about.
He really got brought undone by the comments he'd made when Dimewbag was killed, and he felt it bad.
I beleive Vinnie and co had the right to deny Phil the opportunity to go to the funeral. It was a harsh call from the outside, but for Vinnie I'm sure it was much more simple, due to the circumstances and the crap Phil had gone on with before Dimes murder. Phil wasn't to know that Dime was going to go out like that but it's a harsh reality that some of the bile Phil had been spitting out in the months precluding the murder gave the gunman some sort of agenda.

I still have time for Phil and especially DOWN, particularly when he's toned down and not sprouting off bullshit but sometimes he's just so cringe-worthy.

Anyone rate this band,i think they are the most successful band without any radio time, if not. who do you think are??

have to agree with that. :thumbsu:
classic album

Not really radio time, but I remember the 'I'm Broken' clip being played on Video Hits when it came out. Probably the heaviest song I ever heard on VH though :D (although I haven't watched it for many years - if it still exists??)

i believe i wrote WITHOUT any radio time

i believe i wrote WITHOUT any radio time

I might have worded that badly - were referring to the music vid being played on Video Hits as 'not really radio time'.

I agree with you mate. That vid being played was the closest I witnessed to them being played alongside more mainstream music. With Far Beyond Driven debuting at #1 here, I guess they couldn't be totally ignored at the time.

Vulgar Display of Power and Cowboys From Hell are metal classics. Even though I've never been a fan of the ultra heavy slow guitars, and never liked Anselmo or his voice, Pantera are still so good simply because of one man, Dimebag Darrell. Up there with Angus Young in the ability to create compulsive riffs (one listen to Mouth For War for example is all it takes). Unbelievable guitarist and a huge loss to the metal community.

anselmo wrote mouth for war

Vulgar Display remains one of the most mind blowing metal albums i've ever heard.
Indeed. They day I got that I went home and played 3x Back to ******* Back.
Was just so incredible and something you wish you could hear for the very first time all over again.

I still love Cowboys..., Vulgar... and Far Beyond Driven.

Some of my favourite tunes when lifting weights. Seems to help me puff the chest out! :p

I just reckon they absolutely nailed those three albums - they found just a fantastic sound, groove and swagger. They got a bit scream-y for me after that, and lost that stomping rhythm.

Dimebag was just an amazing shredder. His riffs are just so good!

If still loving Pantera is wrong I don't wanna be right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back