Analysis Parfitt - future position

Remove this Banner Ad

catswhiskers

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
Far North East
AFL Club
Geelong
Can't find a prior Parfitt appreciation thread. Mods might combine this if there is one.

Watching his RD 1 work and admiring his ability got me thinking.

He is shaping as a quality inside mid.

When I first saw him i thought outside mid/forward. Maybe because thats where he was played and I was happy to go along with the idea. Also probably guilty of some wishful thinking because of his aboriginality and the ability of those lads to blow games open on the outside.

Yesterday he demonstrated real inside mid traits. He enjoyed the physical stuff and tellingly worked very well in confined spaces. He does this better than all but the elite players. Watching and admiring Oliver also brought to front of mind that this is the key attribute that allows an inside player to shine.

In the glow of three new and very promising debut games from this years crop, Parfitt's progess needs to be acknowledged.

Yes was impressive again yesterday clearly will be a good midfielder. Obviously difficult for him to get many mid mins currently. But he’s also providing enough as a forward as he develops and while others take that time.
Was very impressed how he got up after a couple of big hits.

In traffic he does this little half step without really moving and the opposition stops to see where he is going to move to buying him a couple of seconds. He is nothing like james hird as a player but he used to do the same thing in traffic.

In traffic he is very much like sam mitchell. Has a long way to go to match that output though

I've always seen him as a future inside/outside midfielder. One thing that's actually surprising to me is how good his forward craft has been, it's not his natural position but since coming into the team to play as a small forward he's really owned that role.

He'll still be primarily a midfielder or maybe HHF in the future, but one that's able to rest deeper forward effectively.

In traffic he does this little half step without really moving and the opposition stops to see where he is going to move to buying him a couple of seconds. He is nothing like james hird as a player but he used to do the same thing in traffic.

In traffic he is very much like sam mitchell. Has a long way to go to match that output though
Time in close with ball in hand. Vision excels and the game is not too fast for him.

There are occasions where he does a little too much still - but I dont mind that as hes taking the game on. I am big on players taking the first option due to the pace of the game with the need to get the ball forward of the contest. With him he does do that often and given he has the ability as you mentioned to 1/2 step out of the way, im fine with him getting pinged now and again.

And no, he's nowhere near Mitchell. Yet. But they all have to start somewhere.

GO Catters

Preferred position? Easy.

Standing over Brian Taylor with a club until he pronounces his name properly.
It's getting to a point where the club should make a point of contacting Channel 7 to make sure the big boofhead days it correctly. It is infuriating for me as a supporter so I cant imagine what Parfitt and his family think.

It's getting to a point where the club should make a point of contacting Channel 7 to make sure the big boofhead days it correctly. It is infuriating for me as a supporter so I cant imagine what Parfitt and his family think.
Commentators should be given a list of phonetic spellings of every player's name and forced to adhere to it.

I just assumed since he debuted that he'd be an inside midfielder. As others have said his ability to create space in traffic by shaping his body is something we've really missed since Christensen left - and pretty useful complementing straight-line types like Danger and Selwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still confused if its Re-vol-d or Re-wol-d I really shouldn't be.

I'm still confused if its Re-vol-d or Re-wol-d I really shouldn't be.
V/W is a German issue, the native/technical pronunciation would have the W as a V but Australians tend to anglicise it as a W. See also Brat-wurst vs Brat-vurst

I have a German W surname and have basically given up on the correct pronunciation, its more work explaining it to every single person than its worth.

V/W is a German issue, the native/technical pronunciation would have the W as a V but Australians tend to anglicise it as a W. See also Brat-wurst vs Brat-vurst

I have a German W surname and have basically given up on the correct pronunciation, its more work explaining it to every single person than its worth.
So phonetically German would be VOLKSVAGON - Vagon for the Volks

Case in point. Huddersfield manager David Wagner. Listen to any German pronounce it and they say Vagner

His ability to work in tight spaces I have never worried about, his subtle small movements buy him a lot of time and space, yes his kicking does need continued work and he will never have great penetration, but what really impressed me yesterday was his work rate.
I was sitting on the wing in the AFL members section (thanks Telstra tickets) and in the last quarter when everyone was on their last legs his work rate to continually present and be an option for the release kick (right in front of where we sat) was phenomenal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back