Traded #6: Angus Monfries - Insert stock Boo-urns joke here - Retired 10/10

Remove this Banner Ad

We should pick 22 guys to chase the ball and not worry about their men.
Accountability? Defence? Not required. Loser talk!

We have such a wealth of talent we don't even need to bother about that sort of stuff. We have Reimers! Instantly 8 goals better than anyone...
FFS

Our forward line has worked much better with Jetta & Davey freed up to hunt the ball, which has come (in part) from Monfries' work on the good half-backs. And our midfield has had to do less chasing & our backline's been under less pressure with (slightly) less ball coming in from rebounders.

I agree that dropping Monfries (for who?) would result in a slightly more unpredictable fwd line, but I don't think that's been our issue in any match. It'd also mean a less accountable fwd line and (probably) a less accurate one.

he has been serviceable at best IMO. I agree with a poster above who said that whilst we have mediocre players like him considered solid first 18 locks, then we will remain a middle of the road team. This is based on his stagnation over the past 3 years. Do we really need another tagger or a game breaker who can hurt the opposition. He ALWAYS goes to ground at the most crucial times, he is slow, and he doesn't get enough of it. Yes he has had some OK games this year, but he is replaceable, and I would expect Winderlich to take his role once fit, and provide some X factor. Trade Gus to Adelaide, sorry champ.
Last year was (comfortably) his best year - by any measure, except "kick 4 flash goals against Carlton then doing nothing the week after"

It appears some people actually do want that sort of player, rather than a reliable, consistent accountable type who puts in & puts his head over it.

Bring on Reimers I say. Hell, bring back Lovett & Cockatoo Collins as well, we want flat-out inconsistency... just can't deal with this reliable, defensive mindset that sees us scrapping & competing every week... NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Last year was (comfortably) his best year - by any measure, except "kick 4 flash goals against Carlton then doing nothing the week after"

It appears some people actually do want that sort of player, rather than a reliable, consistent accountable type who puts in & puts his head over it.

Bring on Reimers I say. Hell, bring back Lovett & Cockatoo Collins as well, we want flat-out inconsistency... just can't deal with this reliable, defensive mindset that sees us scrapping & competing every week... NOT GOOD ENOUGH.
Problem is Slatts - you castigate Reimers for his lack of defenisve work yet completely turn a blind eye to Melkshams utterly pathetic second efforts and defensive pressure. I like Melksham and think he will make it, but he is deservedly copping criticism for his performances and really should be allowed back to the magoos to gain some confidence and like Reimers, learn abotu accountabiity and work rate.

I resepct you as a poster (one of the senisble ones who doesn't fly off the rails after a loss), but perhaps you should take your blinkers off as well sometimes (as you are starting to sound like one of the blind faithful).

As for Monfries - I totally agree wiht you and the constant bagging of him is just stupid. Yes he has poor games like everyone else, but his workrate around the ball is fantastic and if anything, I now finally want him pushing more into the middle as he has the size and strength finally to play there.

No, Slattery_20 is equally critical of Melksham's lack of defensive running.

It needs to be kept in context. He is talking about the role Monfries is being asked to play.

As it stands Reimers comes in for either Jetta or Davey (if at all).

Problem is Slatts - you castigate Reimers for his lack of defenisve work yet completely turn a blind eye to Melkshams utterly pathetic second efforts and defensive pressure. I like Melksham and think he will make it, but he is deservedly copping criticism for his performances and really should be allowed back to the magoos to gain some confidence and like Reimers, learn abotu accountabiity and work rate.

I resepct you as a poster (one of the senisble ones who doesn't fly off the rails after a loss), but perhaps you should take your blinkers off as well sometimes (as you are starting to sound like one of the blind faithful).

As for Monfries - I totally agree wiht you and the constant bagging of him is just stupid. Yes he has poor games like everyone else, but his workrate around the ball is fantastic and if anything, I now finally want him pushing more into the middle as he has the size and strength finally to play there.
I can see where you're coming from.

Melksham definitely has his flaws & failings. No question there. I'm not overly critical of his performances & inconsistency for a 3rd year kid, but I have passed comment on (as you say) his tackling, defensive efforts etc which leave a bit to be desired. He does s**t me up the wall at times but I think he's going OK overall, in there as pretty much a midfielder.
It's quite possible that Lee, or Browne, will put pressure on that spot as the year goes on.

Monfries' role is as a tagger. Starting from a forward flank, but a tagger. No-one else has really shown they can play that role and he's actually been pretty solid at it.
Reimers is thereabouts, and will probably play next week (either Davey's pocket or Zaha's running midfielder role) but he sure as s**t won't be in there for Gussy.

Are they judging Melksham & Reimers by different standards? You bet your sweet bippy they are.
Worth pointing out that an extended spell in the twos doesn't necessarily 'spell' (see what I did there?) career over... despite what smartarses like me might surmise.
Further reading see 'Dyson, R'

Wouldnt mind Lonergan given the HFF tagging role? thoughts

Hes done it before to decent affect. It could be a way to get some form bac into him since that brisbane game.

As for our next opponent they dont really have a silky enright, murphy, hurn on a hbf so i dont think we necessarily need that role player for that game. So i would like to see Monfries go up to a wing and play on Mundy. He struggles with speed so i doubt he could control Hill at subi. Hocking in that game should be allowed to hunt the ball at his own will as we go H2H with Hill,Barlow ect in the middle.

Wouldnt mind Lonergan given the HFF tagging role? thoughts

Hes done it before to decent affect. It could be a way to get some form bac into him since that brisbane game.
#IGKNIGHTER
You're right, it has been done before, and I never thought it worked particularly well either for Sammy or the team.
If they really do want to drop Gus (big if), I'd imagine they'd go Crameri (remember he took Scarlett, after Welshy broke last year?)

As for our next opponent they dont really have a silky enright, murphy, hurn on a hbf so i dont think we necessarily need that role player for that game. So i would like to see Monfries go up to a wing and play on Mundy...

When he is at his best, Duffield is their man out of defence. Think he is out of favour at the moment though. Broughton is probably second in line, so if he plays- I'd suspect Gus would be following him when we're not in possession.

Mundy is a midfielder now, as you said, which would mean a no-go zone for Gus. As good as his defensive mindset is (Gus'), his body would not allow him to match it across the ground with Mundy.

Doesn't sound great. 3 week minimum and the way Hamilton said it made it sound like it could be much longer. We can't take a trick this year. Who comes in?

Bob Murphy is doing a happy dance right now.

Bob Murphy will do a happier dance if the Bulldogs use him better. They allow him to be dragged down to the goalsquare. He should be played on the wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon they'll learn from that this week and he'll be on Reimers most likely as the "highest" half forward. I reckon he'll be in their bests.

Back-handed compliment for Reimers.

Life will probably continue to be the same for Murphy - Bulldogs are experimenting in 2012.

I noticed something on the weekend at that is that Gus is very good around the ball when it is very very congested. He never takes his eye off the ball and hunts the pack like a good sheep dog. To get your hands on the ball in this situation is priceless. With the way that footy is going he could be worth more of a try around the ball when teams try and congest our midfield which the Cats seem to have done on the weekend.

I'd move back home for $400k pa over 4 years aswell.

As far as his bank account goes, he's definately been in the right place at the right time over his career.

Good luck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back