Past player - Ben Cousins (1996-2007)

Remove this Banner Ad

Fave player of all time.
the guy could do anything on the field, inspirational leader, freak, best work ethic I've ever witnessed. Just amazing to watch. Still find it impossible to believe all the off field issues with drugs and what not. Just that golden boy imagine is what I remember him by.

It pains me to think his amazing football knockledge my never be shared because of his drug issues and clubs not willing to give him an opportunity to coach/mentor.

I think Richmonds midfield has come on leaps and bounds since he went there. They've mentioned a couple of times that he had a big influence on them.

Are you serious? Exactly what I based my soccer around for a few years there, just run and run and run. Your comment definitely echoed with me. Eventually you will get out what you put in. I mean the guy played (at his peak) like no other I have ever seen. A frenetic insatiable work rate that bordered on insanity. Inside and outside. A lasting memory of him was that left foot kick in the 3rd quarter of that 2006 prelim. Full pace, on the left, 55 metre pass onto Hunters chest. I remember thinking wtf even for his standards.

Just on his left foot kicking skills I remember in 04/05 we played the saints over there and Coxy hit a centre bounce straight down Cuz's throat and he ran to the 50 arc and slammed one through on his left which cleared the fence. Was ridiculously good football.

I think Richmonds midfield has come on leaps and bounds since he went there. They've mentioned a couple of times that he had a big influence on them.

I also heard this. I myself would walk a lot taller if he walked into my football club. Just a natural leader.

I can vouch as a Richmond supporter his influence.

Also had a big influence when Dusty first arrived in training and preparing yourself.

Is he still in the top 10 for games played for us? I am thinking he may of slipped out due to Embley, Cox Glass and co.

Is he still in the top 10 for games played for us? I am thinking he may of slipped out due to Embley, Cox Glass and co.
He is 10th now.

276 - Jako
273 - Cox
267 - McKenna
265 - Banfield
262 - Glass
253 - Matera
250 - Embley
243 - Kemp
242 - McIntosh
238 - Cousins

If if werent for his drug problems though, he would have smashed 300 games. Cox will break Jako's all time games record this season and Glass should move into second outright this season too.

Are you serious? Exactly what I based my soccer around for a few years there, just run and run and run. Your comment definitely echoed with me. Eventually you will get out what you put in. I mean the guy played (at his peak) like no other I have ever seen. A frenetic insatiable work rate that bordered on insanity. Inside and outside. A lasting memory of him was that left foot kick in the 3rd quarter of that 2006 prelim. Full pace, on the left, 55 metre pass onto Hunters chest. I remember thinking wtf even for his standards.
Good to hear it wasn't just me. I was never the most talented so I try to be the most fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was just an open secret/water cooler common knowledge that he was friends with 'gangster' associates etc
Were the levels of drug use known then or was it just that he was into the drugs?

Sorry for all the questions I'm just curious and I didn't want to go make a Ben Cousins thread as I'm sure you have had a billion of them over time.

I guess most who arent naive assumed weekend use ... he didnt really go crazy with double and triple nighters during the season until 2006 if I remember his book.

I guess most who arent naive assumed weekend use ... he didnt really go crazy with double and triple nighters during the season until 2006 if I remember his book.
Thanks for the responses :)

I'd love him to do an Open Mike or something one day.
I hear he's still struggling with the addiction?

One of the greatest players not only for west coast but one of the best to pick up a footy. Despite his drug past, I believe he will be the only person in history to do what he did. He was a gun when he left....Missed a year and a half, came back like he never missed a beat. Loved in the West and for good reason. Its a shame he went out the way he did but me, you and every eagles fan will be talking about Benny Cousins for decades to come.

Great player

I'd say Sampi and Mainy's stories were sadder

Lets be honest, Sampi had all the talent in the world....Just not the dedication and self discipline to stay at the top level. Mainy well..........Im not going there :(

One of the greatest players not only for west coast but one of the best to pick up a footy. Despite his drug past, I believe he will be the only person in history to do what he did. He was a gun when he left....Missed a year and a half, came back like he never missed a beat. Loved in the West and for good reason. Its a shame he went out the way he did but me, you and every eagles fan will be talking about Benny Cousins for decades to come.

Great player

Even he didn't do it.

Legends grow over time but ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back