Retired #14: Jason Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 14. Jason Johnson

he was in great shape this time last year as well and he ended up giving us nothing

Was that when he missed a big block of pre season due to his toe injury ?
Like i said you just tee off without even knowing the facts......
He was getting back to form when he injured his groin and his for tailed off again.

he wasn't the only player to suffer an injury during the pre-season. once again he has missed time on the track mainly because his body isnt up to a full season of afl footy. i hope i am wrong.....but i wont be

he wasn't the only player to suffer an injury during the pre-season. once again he has missed time on the track mainly because his body isnt up to a full season of afl footy. i hope i am wrong.....but i wont be

No he wasn't but out of the players who did how many survived a full season who where injured in the pre season ?. None did.
You have now changed what you where saying anyway. At no stage did you mention injury before. Now some facts have been pointed out you come out with a different line ;)
Im not convinced he can get through the season without injury. The last three seasons have shown that but if he stays fit he is still good enough.

Good news about him going great guns during pre-season but I doubt his body will hold up.

If he gets injured and misses a few weeks he should retire gracefully or be told to retire as he needs to be at %100 to contribute.

Veteran Don fit, ready to play
Jon Ralph | February 22, 2008 12:00am

IT'S an irony Jason Johnson admits he can't ignore. The same 2006 contract controversy that tested his loyalty to Essendon has ultimately ensured his survival.

Recently turned 30, and having endured two years of frustration caused by constant injuries, Johnson is aware the first two months of the AFL season are the most critical of his 12-year career.
While premiership teammates Dean Solomon and Mark Johnson have been cast aside, he remains in Essendon colours.
And while at one stage Johnson felt bitter that the club publicly made him wait before agreeing to a two-year deal, it has now become the contract that saved him.

Just 12 months after winning his second best-and-fairest award - his fifth top-three finish - Johnson endured a mediocre 2006 and was initially offered a 12-month contract.
"It's fair to say if I had come out last year, I would have been in the same position Mark Johnson was. I have thought a lot about that and it is why I didn't resent (former coach Kevin Sheedy) or have any bad feelings toward him," Johnson said.
"At the end of the day, Sheeds was the one who gave me the second year. He pulled me off the table and said, 'If we can't get a first-round pick for him, give him his two years'.
"At the end of the day, if I didn't have those two years, would I still be playing AFL footy? I don't know."

The good news for Essendon fans is that Johnson is finally injury-free and determined to extend his career by at least another season.
"The common theme now is that if you get to 28-30, and you aren't playing good football, you are seen to be past it. I just have to rely on the things that kept me in the game for so long, and have a bit of luck," Johnson said.
New coach Matthew Knights has made no promises, but Johnson knows there is a role to play in a midfield short on strong bodies and experience.
"The feedback (from Knights) has been really good. If I do what he wants me to do, he will reward me with a spot," Johnson said.
"It's up to me and that's the thing that makes me feel so refreshed this year.
"I felt Sheeds lost confidence in me and I haven't asked him that, but then it made me lose confidence in myself and my ability to play. That's what your head does to you."

In late 2005 the load spread by an arthritic big toe put such pressure on Johnson's foot he needed a total reconstruction to repair tendons and ligaments of his plantar plate.
Last year he needed more treatment on the foot over the pre-season, and soon after he returned in Round 6 the groin that would later require post-season surgery began to trouble him.
By the last third of the season, Johnson had decided he had to rest, even if it meant missing the farewell of James Hird and Kevin Sheedy.
"I didn't want to play at 75 per cent and see anyone forming opinions. I just wanted to get the season over and start afresh with a new coach," he said.
Sheedy and Hird are gone, and Johnson knows it could be him at season's end.

But for a player who has reached greater heights than he ever thought possible, that would not be the slap in the face it once might have been.
"I have never lost sight of where I have come from. Two years ago I would have dreaded it, but I am content in the place I am at and excited about what's happening at the club," Johnson said.
"To turn 30, I know what I want out of life and what direction I want to go in. I am not scared about what is ahead of me. I am excited about it."

We need JJ's hardened body rotating through the midfield this year, and getting the ball out to the runners.

His importance to our kids development is underestimated by some.

We need JJ's hardened body rotating through the midfield this year, and getting the ball out to the runners.

His importance to our kids development is underestimated by some.

Spot on.

Looking forward to seeing what he can do this year, dominated the end of 2006 when he had some fitness.

Saw Jason Johnson out and about last night...

Was standing near him during a concert last night...didn't recognise any of his mates.

Finally took the opportunity to wish him a good 2008 and let him know I'm a big fan of the team as people were leaving...(I hate coming across as a groupie, so I kept it low key)

Was pleased to see him abstaining from alcohol...:p

Re: Saw Jason Johnson out and about last night...

I really really hope JJ has a big season this year. He's my first or 2nd favourite player. I loved watching him back around 2001 (even though I was only 8) bursting through the packs and kicking great running goals.

So how was his pre-season this year? Did he play well in the NAB cup and practice matches? I was never able to watch the NAB cup because of cricket, so I dunno how our guys went.

Re: Saw Jason Johnson out and about last night...

apparantly he had a good pre-season but you wouldn't have known it after watching him in the nab cup. the modern game has passed him by and he'll be spending most of his time at bendigo one would think

Jj

Was encouraged by his contribution yesterday. Although not brilliant, I think he showed a bit more confidence than I remember last year. An aging player who still thinks he has a bit to offer.

Having a coach who believes in you, possibly?

Re: Jj

Was encouraged by his contribution yesterday. Although not brilliant, I think he showed a bit more confidence than I remember last year. An aging player who still thinks he has a bit to offer.

JJ has been a great contributor for us, IMO he is an absolute champion of the club and his B&F's back this up. In the future, we'll need more players like him, bigger bodied guys who are real in and under players, as we obviously have the pace coming through. Similar to Robert Harvey, not quick but always gives 100%. You are completely right with the coach call, which is the case with many players that are finally getting played and showing Sheeds up as a result. JJ=champion.

Perhaps also knowing your spot in the team is a week to week proposition, especially given its effectively an either-or arms wrestle with a long standing mate (Pev) is adding a little urgency to his game...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was under the impression he's been carrying a broken bone in his foot for about 3 years & it's finally fixed
Had a good finish to 06 & start to 07
Hopefully we can see him used in bursts or spells, & Knights isn't afraid to rest him completely when he's out of the seniors

Was one of the driving forces in getting us back in the game in the 2nd quarter.

He really showed the benefit of experience and a hardened body.

Hopefully he's in for another good one against Geelong this week; we need him to be.

Yep.. his composure and experience off the bench was invaluable. Has doubters, but as usual JJ is a fighter.

• ESSENDON midfielder Jason Johnson's nightmare season continued after a calf injury sidelined him for a further month.
Johnson was one week away from a VFL return with Bendigo before he aggravated the injury last week at training.
The veteran is in the last season of his 12-year career at the Bombers after being told by coach Matthew Knights that his senior opportunities were limited.
Johnson's form was so solid he was considered a chance of being elevated to the seniors before the injury.
Now he will have to again rehabilitate his calf before what shapes as a late-season farewell game, along with club stalwart Damien Peverill.
Johnson told the Herald Sun earlier this year that he was happy to confront the next chapter of his life when he moved on from Essendon.
"I have never lost sight of where I have come from," Johnson said.
"To turn 30, I know what I want out of life and what direction I want to go in.
"I am not scared about what is ahead of me. I am excited about it."
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23918183-19742,00.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Back