pathetic

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 10, 2000
melbourne (saints)
following the saints has never been easy but why is it that pure dumb ****en loyalty makes me go to the game every week and continually witness absolutely disgraceful ****en ****full 'efforts' as what was served up to us today.

nick reiwoldt was the opposite of all his team mates today. he worked hard, took contested marks, kicked beautifully, showed courage when competing for the pill and did not drop his head when the going got tough.

Originally posted by BALListic
What do you do?

Do what we've done most years - wait until next year.

Originally posted by StrengthThroughLoyalty
following the saints has never been easy but why is it that pure dumb ****en loyalty makes me go to the game every week and continually witness absolutely disgraceful ****en ****full 'efforts' as what was served up to us today.

nick reiwoldt was the opposite of all his team mates today. he worked hard, took contested marks, kicked beautifully, showed courage when competing for the pill and did not drop his head when the going got tough.

Agreed.

I went with a bunch of Essendon friends and I tried to make light of the situation and go along with the jokes but inside it just hurt like hell to see how terrible we were.

Nick Riewoldt was fantastic yesterday. You don't like putting too much pressure on youngsters but if Sheeds can call him a superstar and compare him to Peter Knights I think we are warranted in lavishing praise on him. Extending his contract is a neccessity.

Within a month we should have Everitt, Loewe, Gehrig, Hamill, Black, Moyle, Koschitzke and Jones back in the side. If we don't see any improvement then, I don't know what we can do.

Re: Re: pathetic

Originally posted by sainter

Within a month we should have Everitt, Loewe, Gehrig, Hamill, Black, Moyle, Koschitzke and Jones back in the side. If we don't see any improvement then, I don't know what we can do.

If we see no improvement then we should just give up & fold!

What would be the point of destroying confidence?

From an outside perspectve.

The Engine Room.
Sometimes you get the feeling Essendon just need a good tap, Jason Johnson and Mathew Lloyd

Ruckman are a good place to start. Knobel looks like he play a bit...22 YO. I don't know how he'd go against Primus but by all accounts he could have played at Brissie if not for Beau and Keating. So far so good.

On-ballers. 3 of these. Ruck Rover, rover and centreman.
Ball is going to be huge...he got 50 posessions for someone the other day. Say.... ruck rover.
Heath Black. Centre. Word is he has the skills...
Stepen Milne...rover. Good and quick so they say.

A Target
Riewoldt...enough said.

A crumber
Plapp.
A good target is a problem for the backmen, chuck in a good crumber and the problem becomes panic.

A couple of defenders...Koschitzke etc...the trick is to have a dominant forward and midfield...they make the defence look good.

Form/confidence : Hawks did it to us, we got back against Sydney : string a couple together and anything can happen...Round 16 and 17 look good for you guys.
Good luck.

Hold on for a few more years sainters you have had that many first round picks lately that it is almost impossible for you not to become a force.

Originally posted by dogboy23
Hold on for a few more years sainters you have had that many first round picks lately that it is almost impossible for you not to become a force.

I know what you're saying but that's really a myth.

Prior to the last two seasons the Saints have not had as good a run of draft selections as what you'd think.

Originally posted by Savatage

I know what you're saying but that's really a myth.

Prior to the last two seasons the Saints have not had as good a run of draft selections as what you'd think.
Thats plenty given that the highest we have had since 96 is pick 9 and North are around the same.You had the first 2 picks last year plus I think 4 in the top 20 this year.Add that to Lenny Hayes(pick 7?),Beetham(1st round pick?) and thats a hell of alot of 1st round picks when compared to other clubs.Its especially good for you guys that you got to pick up 2 quality talls.You almost need top 4 picks to get quality talls in the draft these days.In 3 or 4 years when the likes of Mcguire,Dal Santo,Clarke,Hayes,Beetham,Baker,BALL and Kossie and Big Nick start influencing games they will form a nice core along with ageing players like Hamill and Gehrig.

Originally posted by dogboy23
Thats plenty given that the highest we have had since 96 is pick 9 and North are around the same.You had the first 2 picks last year plus I think 4 in the top 20 this year.Add that to Lenny Hayes(pick 7?),Beetham(1st round pick?) and thats a hell of alot of 1st round picks when compared to other clubs.Its especially good for you guys that you got to pick up 2 quality talls.You almost need top 4 picks to get quality talls in the draft these days.In 3 or 4 years when the likes of Mcguire,Dal Santo,Clarke,Hayes,Beetham,Baker,BALL and Kossie and Big Nick start influencing games they will form a nice core along with ageing players like Hamill and Gehrig.

We did win 25 wooden spoons where there was no reward of a draft pick. ;)

We would love to have had the success that North and the Bulldogs have had in the past decade. If you guys were to spend the next 3 or 4 years at the bottom of the ladder and take all the early picks it wouldn't worry me in the slightest because we'd sure as hell do anything to rise up the ladder.

You're pretty much right with what you've said. We had the top two selections in the 2000 draft which with Riewoldt and Koschitzke the club have looked to have used wisely. Not only the two best players in the draft but like you said key position players which are far more rare to come across. Again we got two early picks (#2 and #5) this season for finishing second last and winning less than 5 games. We also had picks #13 and #17 but they were nothing to do with our finishing position. We received #13 (Dal Santo), #17 (Heath Black) and #45 (Trent Knobel and #49) from Sydney for Barry Hall. We've ended up getting a good deal out of Hall's decision although at the same time we've lost a quality player finally coming of age. If one of your star players was to decide to leave (or the club decide to trade one of them) then a bunch of early picks can work out OK in the long run but there's no guarantee with them. (Look at our history of trading early picks for old hasbeens ;))

Lenny Hayes was picked up with selection #11 in the 1998 draft and he's finally coming of age while Beetham was #9 the following year. Like most saints fans I've got a few doubts about whether Cadyn has the attitude to succeed at the highest level. I'd love him to prove him wrong.

I hope you're right. We look like we're heading in the right direction in the long term but there's still a lot of short term pain to go through. You must be pretty comfortable with the Bulldogs position. Obviously they're a fair bit lower on the ladder than they should be but with the amount of young players coming through as well as your top 6 players seemingly having a lot of football left in them, the future is looking good.

Originally posted by sainter

Obviously they're a fair bit lower on the ladder than they should be but with the amount of young players coming through as well as your top 6 players seemingly having a lot of football left in them, the future is looking good.
Thats the hope that our younger guys will come good before our established players fall away and that will give us 10 or 11 real top class players.I think you guys may have the same problem as us in that you miss out in the middle range.You have Thompson(how old is he?) and you got Black who is around that middle age where he will be peaking soon but you seem to have been hurt by Smith leaving,Lappin leaving and Jones stagnatin g(hes coming good now though).We are also a little bare in this area whic is why the club targeted Eagleton but he has failed to live up to his port form.We have Brown and Robbins but need a few more around that age.Now that I think about it you guys are not to bad off in that area as Hamill and Gehrig are not all that old either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back