Paycut

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Story up from jay Clark that darcy and mooney saying that Boyd should take a pay cut of $100k to get Hurley

Interesting when you think we have enough cap space for 2 FA that will really shock the AFL world if we get those deals done

I don't care if we have room for ten free agents. More than anything Tom can lift pressure off himself and allow the club to buy more players. The better your team is the better it's going to make him look to.

Ralphy is an absolute muppet. But in this instance I 100 percent agree with him.

I don't care if we have room for ten free agents. More than anything Tom can lift pressure off himself and allow the club to buy more players. The better your team is the better it's going to make him look to.

Ralphy is an absolute muppet. But in this instance I 100 percent agree with him.
Why should he take a pay cut ?

We did the right thing, and I'll be happy for us to do it again

Sometimes players do it for the team. I seem to recall when Aker decided to play on for one more year, we had to ask guys to take a cut - but my memory ain't what it used to was. But that would have to be a decision for Tom and Tom alone....

Why should he take a pay cut?

Because if he doesn't then it shows he's in this game for himself and not the football club.

How many times have older players (who are stars in their own right) taken a pay to accomodate another player coming to mind. Plenty. Bartel did it to get Dangerfield and literally the whole senior core of Hawthorn have done it. Players far more deserving of big coin than Boyd.

Let's not forget that it's widely rumoured (not confirmed) that the whole reason the Boyd/Cordy shitfight happened was because he is get teased over his contract size. Well if you can't handle it then man up and take a cut so that your seen just like everyone else or get out.

The club and Boyd made a massive error as to the terms of the contract. It's hurting both/could hurt both. Boyd alone can rectify it.

Could be the difference between losing or keeping Stringer in 2018.

FWIW I'm happy to have him at the club, but not on the money he is recieving when it is impacting upon him and could impact on player retention.

Sometimes players do it for the team. I seem to recall when Aker decided to play on for one more year, we had to ask guys to take a cut - but my memory ain't what it used to was. But that would have to be a decision for Tom and Tom alone....
How much would taking a pay cut, really be taking a pay cut?

Don't know much about the tax bracket, but for example if a player took say a $50k pay cut that meant he would pay less on tax.

Would this be something that some players would look at? I'm sure bevo and Gary Kent could help players working out their pays to take less to pay less take so in the end earning more.

How much would taking a pay cut, really be taking a pay cut?

Don't know much about the tax bracket, but for example if a player took say a $50k pay cut that meant he would pay less on tax.

Would this be something that some players would look at? I'm sure bevo and Gary Kent could help players working out their pays to take less to pay less take so in the end earning more.

At the rate these guys are earning, for every dollar they lose in a paycut - just under half they would have lost to the taxman anyway. I think the top marginal rate is 48c in the dollar, above 180K per annum...

Why should he take a pay cut?

Because if he doesn't then it shows he's in this game for himself and not the football club.

How many times have older players (who are stars in their own right) taken a pay to accomodate another player coming to mind. Plenty. Bartel did it to get Dangerfield and literally the whole senior core of Hawthorn have done it. Players far more deserving of big coin than Boyd.

Let's not forget that it's widely rumoured (not confirmed) that the whole reason the Boyd/Cordy shitfight happened was because he is get teased over his contract size. Well if you can't handle it then man up and take a cut so that your seen just like everyone else or get out.

The club and Boyd made a massive error as to the terms of the contract. It's hurting both/could hurt both. Boyd alone can rectify it.

Could be the difference between losing or keeping Stringer in 2018.

FWIW I'm happy to have him at the club, but not on the money he is recieving when it is impacting upon him and could impact on player retention.
Does it really show that? Can you be in the game for the team but looking after yourself at the same time? I think you can, at the end of the day this is his job, a job that he could be in for 12-15 years max.

Let's look at a couple of things

- at the end of 2014 we were paying about 95% and had been for years, this is the reason we are still paying a % of griffen's contract because we have to pay a minimum.

-we also lost some big contract that season and the years leading up to that, guys like lake Higgins and Cooney with Griffen, other than Boyd we haven't replaced it as much as people think. Yes Crameri and suckling are 2 guys we have signed, but you still have to remember we have still been around 95%

-talking of Crameri now correct me if I'm wrong but what we were going to pay him this year isn't in our cap and being banked to be used next year? What is that ? $400k again how close to 100% are we really ?

-the cap is set to be increased by 2018, so I'm guessing that all contracts would be worked our taking that in.

- it has also been reported that Boyd is on a front ended contract, now keep in mind we are still around that 95% in those early years of his contract, but 2018-2020 he will be on something like $750-850k, with the cap increasing and the ability to bank un used money and pay up to 105% when guys like bonti stringer hunter macrae come out of contract, there will be more that enough money to go around.

Now as for Boyd taking a pay cut, I would be waiting until his next contract to be asking anything like that, he will be 25 and right in his prime, maybe it'll will be a good time to remind him how we looked after him in his early years. So let's just keep any talk of pay cuts for when this side and Boyd are at their peaks of their powers and needed.

At the rate these guys are earning, for every dollar they lose in a paycut - just under half they would have lost to the taxman anyway. I think the top marginal rate is 48c in the dollar, above 180K per annum...
Yeah I figured it was something like that, was more tounge in cheek out of the box thinking.

I'll eat my own face, Igloo-style, if Boyd takes a pay cut.
There is no need for him to take a pay cut.

We have the cap room for Hurley

He will be on $700-800k come 2018-20 during this time that stringer Bont and co come out of contract, this with the cap increase means there is plenty to go around.

Any pay cut for Boyd should be for when he is 25 bit like Scully this year

Can we please not discuss whether or not Boyd should take a pay cut?

He's entitled to the money we offered him to recruit him and I can't believe people are discussing the merits of an idea by bloody Jon Ralph, who is literally one of the dumbest football journos out there, and that's saying something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no need for him to take a pay cut.

We have the cap room for Hurley

He will be on $700-800k come 2018-20 during this time that stringer Bont and co come out of contract, this with the cap increase means there is plenty to go around.

Any pay cut for Boyd should be for when he is 25 bit like Scully this year

My main argument is that a decrease of his salary next year will reduce the pressure on him.

Which he seems to be struggling with both on and off the field.

My main argument is that a decrease of his salary next year will reduce the pressure on him.

Not many 20yo key forward who are the main target in a contending side are setting the world on fire.

The only thing that he is struggling with ATM is the lack of preseasons

Aaaaaaand another thread ruined.
We can still get back on track

r

The club shouldn't nor won't ask Boyd to take a paycut. Although I do believe him voluntarily offering up a small portion of his salary would do him a world of wonders. I'm not sure on his mental state and whether the pressure is getting to him at all, but if it was in any way, it could certainly be relieved. The message it would send the media would change the perception of him entirely.

Whether or not it helps us get Hurley is irrelevant, because at some stage the extra money will be beneficial to us. Along with the added bonus of Boyd playing under less of a weight. I'm not saying he should do it, but there are obvious benefits.

Have no issue if Boyd doesn't take a paycut but like some have said, If he feels the pressure of his contract is hampering his game then 100K a year or even abit more could do him the world of good. Once he hits 25 if his form warrants it he will be in a better position to get another big contract.

It might appear that's a way to reduce pressure on him, but deep down inside I think it would cause some bitterness towards the club and team mates. We made the offer in good faith and they accepted in good faith. Pickering would be peeing himself laughing reading the suggestions in the media.

Let the people who know the intricate jigsaw pieces of all our contracts make the decisions, hopefully the right decisions.

We'll lose this kid if we don't handle this right and if he then blossoms somewhere else how would we all feel about that.

Boyd won't take a paycut, nor should he. I bet that none of you would have taken a paycut when you were 20.

All this is is heaping even more pressure on tom boyd for no reason, and the media are leading that charge. They love it when somebody fails, as long as it's not one of their golden boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back