Universal Love Peter McKenna interview

Remove this Banner Ad

6 was my number back in the day.
As we lived in the country getting to a game was always hard, but I remember a day behind the goals at Windy Hill (the old man, now 90, is a Bombers fan) when the great man kicked a bag.
As a young tracker it was just about the best thing I had ever seen.

6 was my number back in the day.
Mine too.
The local butcher used to have a 20c chook raffle on Saturdays.
I chose number 6, he spun the wheel and I won a chook.
Mum gave me another 20c, so picked number 6 again and won another chook!
Mum was most pleased 😀
PS: Not live ones btw

McKenna was my first hero.
This just showed up on the CFC website

Mine too.
The local butcher used to have a 20c chook raffle on Saturdays.
I chose number 6, he spun the wheel and I won a chook.
Mum gave me another 20c, so picked number 6 again and won another chook!
Mum was most pleased 😀
PS: Not live ones btw
So you grew up loving Number 6 but hating Chicken…

My first jumper had metal stud buttons on the front and the plastic number 6 on the back.
The plastic number would nearly melt as I sat next to the fire or heater watching the big replay or league teams.

My first jumper had metal stud buttons on the front and the plastic number 6 on the back.
The plastic number would nearly melt as I sat next to the fire or heater watching the big replay or league teams.
I had one of those. I remember how those plastic numbers used to go soft and squishy just as you described if you sat too close to a heater. I can smell that jumper now. It was a very special new jumper smell. Oh those were the days!

Ankle high footy boots until the magical low cut Adidas or puma boots were in vogue.

I'd love to relive one of my young boy Saturday arvos at Vic Park with my dear dad and brother. They were the happiest days of my life excluding marrying my dream girl and the birth of kids and grandkids.

Sigh.

I had one of those. I remember how those plastic numbers used to go soft and squishy just as you described if you sat too close to a heater. I can smell that jumper now. It was a very special new jumper smell. Oh those were the days!

Ankle high footy boots until the magical low cut Adidas or puma boots were in vogue.

I'd love to relive one of my young boy Saturday arvos at Vic Park with my dear dad and brother. They were the happiest days of my life excluding marrying my dream girl and the birth of kids and grandkids.

Sigh.
those bloody boots, the studs were nailed in and when the boots got worn you could feel the studs through the soles. good for drop kicks with the toe though!

I remember when he kicked 16 against South Melbourne in 1969.
Borrowed Dad’s transistor radio (usually used in the garage).
We drove to a park in East Malvern for a picnic & kick of the footy (Dad was working at Caulfield races that afternoon).
Couldn’t believe what I was hearing…seemed like every time we went forward…McKenna would lead/mark & kick the goal.
A great afternoon…topped off with ice cream & fish & chips that night.
I was King of the World!

edit - I accidentally posted this in another (wrong) thread…🤦🏻

Remove this Banner Ad

Back