Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Anyone get this?

Played a bit of it last night. The game looks absolutely incredible and the 3D cutscenes (including voice acting) are fantastic. Well-written, and while it's not a game (or series) that knocks your socks off with gameplay, it's pretty enjoyable.

A couple of little flaws here and there but nothing major so far. Have only just finished the first case though so I'll no doubt have a better gauge on it when I play a bit more.

I'm thinking about it.
I borrowed the first two DS games from a mate and loved them, but never got around to buying any for myself.
Hopefully the DS games wind up on the eShop or get ported to the Wii U shop, I'd love to play through them again.

Never actually played a Phoenix Wright game...

What exactly is the gameplay like?
You're a defense attorney and go through a series of cases attempting to get your client found not guilty. It's very dialogue heavy and basically has two aspects.

The first is the investigation phase. You're generally given a cutscene of some sort which shows the crime occurring (doesn't always give away who did it though), then you're introduced to your client, detectives, so on. Then you're left to investigate the crime scene and question witnesses and suspects, but the whole thing is very heavily scripted and linear. For example, you can't progress unless you find certain pieces of evidence and talk to certain people about everything.

The second is the trial, where you listen to witness/suspect statements and cross-examine them until you 'crack' them. You do this through pressing them on their statements or presenting evidence that contradicts with their statements. Again, it's heavily scripted, however you can actually 'lose' - you can only make a certain amount of mistakes before you have to restart a certain part of the case (you don't go back very far though). It's quite easy to make mistakes though - apart from the introductory cases you generally have to think your way through it.

Generally it goes something like investigation -> case -> investigation -> case, but every 'mission' is different.

If you're after a sublime example of gameplay, pass on it. If you're after an enjoyable, quirky game that makes you think and is beautifully written, have a go. It's one of my favourite series.

Just started the 4th case.

Loving the anime scenes as well.
Yeah I'm not far past where you are. The cutscenes are awesome; just wish there were a few more of them.

The game is a lot more guided than the previous ones, which I don't like. You can only examine scenes where there's something to find and the game constantly tells you where to go next. I'm finding it a little frustrating as the investigation phase is now just a linear series of events that you're almost a bystander in. It's still very well written but it's very linear and holds your hand more than I'd like.

It's also significantly longer than I expected - which is great.

Anyone get this?

Played a bit of it last night. The game looks absolutely incredible and the 3D cutscenes (including voice acting) are fantastic. Well-written, and while it's not a game (or series) that knocks your socks off with gameplay, it's pretty enjoyable.

A couple of little flaws here and there but nothing major so far. Have only just finished the first case though so I'll no doubt have a better gauge on it when I play a bit more.

Awesome series. I love Godot.

Yeah I'm not far past where you are. The cutscenes are awesome; just wish there were a few more of them.

The game is a lot more guided than the previous ones, which I don't like. You can only examine scenes where there's something to find and the game constantly tells you where to go next. I'm finding it a little frustrating as the investigation phase is now just a linear series of events that you're almost a bystander in. It's still very well written but it's very linear and holds your hand more than I'd like.

It's also significantly longer than I expected - which is great.

I agree, also become quite predictable (still very enjoyable).

Case 3 was quite easy to pick out who was guilty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, also become quite predictable (still very enjoyable).

Case 3 was quite easy to pick out who was guilty.
Case 4 and 5 much better so far in that regard. I do agree though. I picked it out very early on, and then the game had the cheek to make it so freaking obvious I no longer felt smart at all. :(

Sounds promising, must knock over Case four tonight then.

Who thought what essentially is a visual novel could be such an amazing series.
It's a pretty long case as well which just adds to the appeal; took me three days playing on and off to get through it. Just really well written and not at all obvious. I still think the game holds your hand too much, but it definitely built up the longer it went on.

Agree. I actually really like series that put a focus on the actual writing side of things. It's not easy to make an engaging storyline in a video game without the gameplay just being super boring. Does it really well imo, but it's not for everyone.

Can't wait to play with when i get an XL
Selling off my OG 3DS...

I've only finished the first Ace Attorney, do i need to complete the others to understand the story?

Can't wait to play with when i get an XL
Selling off my OG 3DS...

I've only finished the first Ace Attorney, do i need to complete the others to understand the story?
Nah they're completely self-contained. There are a few throw-away lines in this one that you need to have played the others to get, but they're all just random mentions to appease the fans, haha. A few returning characters from the games you haven't played but they all get a nice intro of the information you need about them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back