Player Watch Riley Thilthorpe

Remove this Banner Ad

The more that comes out about him the more you like him and I was already a fan.

He has a gym and kicking net at home. Comparing him to McDonald, his more advanced body maybe isn't down to genetics. The guy is driven and also loves the club, on top of being a hell of a footballer.

He said he's been the best SA player in his age group for the last 3 years - U16, 17, 18s

Adelaide had no problem relinquishing its pick one status in using it to place a bid on Western Bulldogs Next Generation Academy (NGA) member Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, which was inevitably matched. Having subsequently slid back to the second selection, the Crows were delighted to snare local bigman Riley Thilthorpe, a genuine key forward who can also rotate through the ruck. National recruiting manager Hamish Ogilvie shared the view that Thilthorpe had long been the best player for his age group in the State, helping confirm the feel-good local choice. Out of West Adelaide, the 201cm talent should prove a pillar of Adelaide’s rebuild and with senior experience under his belt, will likely be given early opportunities if fit.

You realise it’s in the club’s best interests to lose as many games as possible next year right?

I’m not going to sit here and bag RT or bag the selection, but we’re in a rebuild and the 2021 draft is absolutely stacked with elite talent inside the top 5-10.

Any selections in 2020 would have been geared towards us still being a bottom 4-6 side in 2021, and building towards the real rise up the ladder commencing in 2022-23. I’d suggest Hollands will be an emerging star by then.

I understand the RT selection, but the fact that Hollands is unlikely to debut in 2021 was not a factor in it at all.
I understand the draft sentiment here, but in no way is it in our interest to lose as many games as possible next year.

It is in our interest to play our guts out next year to win as many games as possible.

All the team's around us drafted well, including North and especially Sydney so the task won't be easy.

One thing this year's draft showed was that there is little difference between the quality of bottom and 13th, except getting to choose.

Players like Rowell are the exception, not the rule.

If we finish 13th next year it means our players are better, we are playing to a structure, we are understanding the coach and key youth are developing.

Just start to face it now, we are unlikely to get Horne, fact. But we will get a projected gun midfielder, very likely to be projecting better than anyone on our list currently.

Take the wins, pick the best available in the draft.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think so, it's inarguable he's been the best SA youngster in his age group right through but in the country takes in a lot of territory.
The way I understood what Haggis said was hes the best tall in the country at 14, 16, 17 and 18 and as he's from SA its never happens that we would have access.
= best tall and from SA win win

Just a purely hypothetical Mutineer, if Thilthorpe was part of the 2018 class, how far off the likes of Luko, Rankine, Max King etc would Thilthorpe be talent wise in your own opinion

Just a purely hypothetical Mutineer, if Thilthorpe was part of the 2018 class, how far off the likes of Luko, Rankine, Max King etc would Thilthorpe be talent wise in your own opinion
Different player to those really but as juniors I think you could safely say all of those mentioned would have been picked before him.

I might add if Riley had absolutely monstered the Nationals had they been played who knows?

I understand the draft sentiment here, but in no way is it in our interest to lose as many games as possible next year.

It is in our interest to play our guts out next year to win as many games as possible.

All the team's around us drafted well, including North and especially Sydney so the task won't be easy.

One thing this year's draft showed was that there is little difference between the quality of bottom and 13th, except getting to choose.

If we finish 13th next year it means our players are better, we are playing to a structure, we are understanding the coach and key youth are developing.

Just start to face it now, we are unlikely to get Horne, fact. But we will get a projected gun midfielder, very likely to be projecting better than anyone on our list currently.

Yep, 100% agree. Finishing 13th is nothing to be afraid of. I have faith in Nicks and the new coaches, individuals will get better and we will be rolling with a solid game plan and ball movement.

If it happens it happens because the coaches are doing their job well and the young players are coming on, not because Tex, Tals and Davo are having career best seasons.

The melts if we finish outside the bottom 2 will be pretty funny also.

I know I should include Pavlich and Carey in this, but as a Glenelg man I thought today that Riley is the best CHF/ruck/contested mark prospect from SA since Kernahan

And the only one we’ve had access to (well..except Pav..stick with me here..)

No wonder Hamish was so keen to grab the SA Crows-supporting product

Not only a player you can re-build a team around but one you can re-build a club around. He’s gonna be great for relationships with the fans, they’ll love him
Listening to him speak was awesome as well. All he talked about was being a team player and doing everything for the team to win. He sounded genuine and exited. He will be a star and will be a great club man
From looking at the team for years now I can’t remember having players run 50 meters to put on a Sheppard or block but feel Nicks is changing us that way.

I think it's going to be interesting to see how some clubs perform next season going back to 20 minute quarters. Clearly the 16 minute quarters this season saved us from some absolute blow-outs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And McDonald?
Of course....but I was never quite as high on McDonald as some others.

Would have been interesting to have seen both Riley and Logan matched up on Nick Cox (Vic Metro), Zach Reid (Vic Country), Denver Grainger-Barass (WA) and I suspect Jackson Callow might have found himself down back for the Allies on the big key forwards.

People are comparing RT to players that can play forward / ruck equally well

However RT has the athleticism to do more

This is where I dont agree with the Paul Salmon comparison

Was Salmon as clean below the knees as RT?

Could Salmon push up and play on the wing?

Did Salmon has quick hands and handball release like RT?

Can RT play forward / ruck like Salmon and Otten well the answer is yes however could Salmon and Otten play potential up on the wing and go to work on ground balls like RT, the answer to that is NO

What we have with RT is a 200cm player that has rare 200cm qualities, RT qualities

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Answer me this, did we recruit RT to play as a wingman? If not, what exactly did we recruit him to play?

RT is as mobile as PS was. The other player who I mentioned about to weeks ago, he reminded me of was the pondscrum, aka Kurt Yippett.

Ok its been 3 full days since the draft. faith had a bet with me for a bottle of penfolds RWT and since the draft is nowhere to be seen. Can we put out an missing persons flyer on every street post and tree to find him. I am thirsty:wineglass:
Dont say youre “thirsty”.. that mkes it sound like youre gonna open er up and skoll it down..

Say your very much looking forward to a nice drop of red and you are gonna relish every last drop slowly whilst thinking about just how dumb Faith must be to actually write most of the absolute horseshit he does on this great forum!..

Answer me this, did we recruit RT to play as a wingman? If not, what exactly did we recruit him to play?

RT is as mobile as PS was. The other player who I mentioned about to weeks ago, he reminded me of was the pondscrum, aka Kurt Yippett.
Ogilvie has already answered this. He likes him as a forward.

I reckon Fog is getting fit to play Lynch's role. Or even rotate in the middle.

Then have Hberg/RT up forward. RT to Ruck.
Hberg is a terrible Ruck, keep him 100% forward.

RT is as mobile as any forward. So the two big talls can work.

MacAdam, Rowe, Resting mid.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I think it’s too early to expect TT to be part of the structure. I don’t have that expectation on him yet. But given his talent we could go with the three tall forward set up. The fact that Fog/Berg are not quite there yet then gets compensated by having TT up there as well.

To me we are wasting time until we finally make the call on Tex. Once we do that, we can move pieces around the board to find a forward structure that works on paper and in practice (the much harder part).

I think it’s too early to expect TT to be part of the structure. I don’t have that expectation on him yet. But given his talent we could go with the three tall forward set up. The fact that Fog/Berg are not quite there yet then gets compensated by having TT up there as well.

To me we are wasting time until we finally make the call on Tex. Once we do that, we can move pieces around the board to find a forward structure that works on paper and in practice (the much harder part).
Lol, I forgot about Tex.

RT has shown he is capable at SANFL level.

I don't expect to play Finals in 2021. RT is better suited playing AFL than SANFL.

At 100kg, and no doubt a couple more by round 1, he won't be outbodied by many defenders.

The pace may get him, so will need rests.

But should play round 1.

I agree with this, as long as it's the young players who get us into that position. If it's because players like Walker, Talie, Sloane and MacKay etc are playing well - then it is not good.

IMO, Fog's getting to the fitness level to play Tex's role. He's a long way off the Lynch role or getting regular midfield minutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back