News Aidyn Johnson signs with Tatura

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion for our 2nd pick in the draft:

AIDYN JOHNSON

Medium forward with explosive pace and agility which allows him to find space in congested areas. Member of the NAB AFL Academy whose season has been marred by injury. Mixes his football between Scotch College and the Bendigo Pioneers.

Last edited:

I'm pretty stoked to get the physical mid we needed, good mix of inside and outside with a real competitive edge.

I'm pretty stoked to get the physical mid we needed, good mix of inside and outside with a real competitive edge.
Didn't work quite so well this time

http://www.zerohanger.com/2015-afl-draft-prospects-aidyn-johnson-1902/

Name: Aidyn Johnson

Position: Midfielder

DOB: 31/10/1997

Height: 184cm

Weight: 75kg

Current club: Bendigo Pioneers

Draft range: 25-rookie

Pub summary: Athletic midfielder who is hard to place in this draft, held back by injury.

Strengths

• Athleticism
  • Leap
  • Ball use
  • Hits the scoreboard
Weaknesses

• Injury interrupted year
  • Not especially versatile
Overall

Aidyn Johnson is one of the more interesting draft prospects available to clubs this year. Injuries have made it really difficult to draw a solid form line and complete picture of his game. For example, it's hard to know how he performs in clearance work or as a forward.

Johnson's athleticism and ball use allow him to break open games and he is great at getting into position for the handball receive. He is arguably one of, if not the best wingman in this year’s draft pool, however, injuries have made it hard for him to demonstrate an ability to play other roles within a side.

The main concern when it comes to Johnson’s game is how he will perform if he isn’t being fed the ball but we feel this won’t be an issue once he adds a bit more size to his frame.

The range of where Aidyn could get drafted is pretty wide. We see Johnson as a third round draft pick but some good testing at the combine could change his standing. If your club picks him up with a late pick they’ve likely got a great deal.

Read more at http://www.zerohanger.com/2015-afl-draft-prospects-aidyn-johnson-1902/#Remyz09TFfT5ZuDk.99

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agility
Kieran Lovell - 7.90 seconds
Alex Morgan - 8.07
Clayton Oliver - 8.11
Aidyn Johnson - 8.15
Tom Doedee - 8.19
Jesse Glass-McCasker - 8.22
Oleg Markov - 8.23
Will Snelling - 8.24
Darcy MacPherson - 8.24
Ben Crocker - 8.25

I just watched his highlights on the draft tracker on the AFL site... looks like a pretty good selection in the 40s!!!

Crazy closing speed when he tackles!!!

I'm just worried that this year our one glaring issue was that we had too many flankers, and basically our 2 draft picks ended up being flankers. Johnson looks ok, but doesn't seem like he really suits our desperate need for contested ball winners, though we did need some speed.

Looking forward to seeing the clubs highlights package because the AFL.com one paints a guy with an ordinary kick who failed to take a few opportunities in front of goal that you'd be wanting him to kick.

I guess if 1 of Palmer and Johnson succeed we will be well placed in that small forward position to replace Monfries.

I have no opinion on either of the picks really. My only comment is noticing just how single minded we are at each years draft. 2015 is the year of run and carry. 2014 the year of the tall. 2013 the year of the fitness nut.

3018510.jpg

:$poor attempt at humour, welcome to the Port Adelaide family Aidyn:thumbsu:

Looking forward to seeing the clubs highlights package because the AFL.com one paints a guy with an ordinary kick who failed to take a few opportunities in front of goal that you'd be wanting him to kick.

He doesnt miss a shot on goal in the AFL highlights package

Remove this Banner Ad

Back