News Sam Hayes signs for North Melbourne VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

So Hayes is a "maybe not" now???

Amazing what a few hours does.

So Hayes is a "maybe not" now???

Amazing what a few hours does.
He is ‘maybe not now, because this was the perfect game to check if he was up to it.
Next week isn’t.

Not going to pick him v the speedy essendon on the super fast etihad oval..

...although this is the same coaching group that decided 'speedy' toumpas was a good selection against them last year..

He'd be gassed in no time at Etihad....

Should've played yesterday, alas he might debut here vs Geelong on the big stage if he dominates at the Maggies again.

He'd be gassed in no time at Etihad....

Should've played yesterday, alas he might debut here vs Geelong on the big stage if he dominates at the Maggies again.

Geelong probably have the weakest ruck stocks in the league. Smith has no body strength and Stanley just isn’t much good.

Great game to debut.

Geelong probably have the weakest ruck stocks in the league. Smith has no body strength and Stanley just isn’t much good.

Great game to debut.

I'm gonna assume you don't remember them tearing us a new one in 2016.

As huge as Hayes' upside seems, surely it's Frampton who has to get the nod. If he doesn't have the tank to get a gig after 4 years on the list he never will.

Yesterday was the canary in the coalmine.

Heck, I'd pick a meatpuppet to at least erode Bellchambers while freeing up Dixon/Westhoff/Neade to play their game otherwise the Military Aircraft will ride roughshod all day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to see Hayes in the a grade doing a bit of ruck work clunking a few grabs up forward... but carnt see it happening anytime soon... frampton (I'm not a fanboy) he would be wondering what he has to do to get a game... I assume that hinkley and co would of had a quiet word with him along the lines of this is your chance... but your only going to get it if you deserve it... I want to see one of the young rucks take the game (sanfl) by the scruff of the neck absolute dominate and force Hinckley into playing them.

Would love to see Hayes in the a grade doing a bit of ruck work clunking a few grabs up forward... but carnt see it happening anytime soon... frampton (I'm not a fanboy) he would be wondering what he has to do to get a game... I assume that hinkley and co would of had a quiet word with him along the lines of this is your chance... but your only going to get it if you deserve it... I want to see one of the young rucks take the game (sanfl) by the scruff of the neck absolute dominate and force Hinckley into playing them.
Hard to dominate when you are sharing time with three ruckmam. Ladhams was quiet against the crows but apart from that they are all playing well.

Max Gawn, a terrific ruckman, has purpisely gone on diet. Saw him on the footy show and he looks like a stick insect.
Clearly this has been done to accentuate mobility, and must be the template for the "new" format of ruckman.
We do not want Hayes to neessarily be the 100-110kg dimension of "Mummy".
But it is wrong to consider Hayes at this point.
It must be Billy or nothing.

If Brisbane didn't make so many skill errors they would have beaten us comfortably, lucky it was them and not the Cows.

If it wasn't so ******* hot and we didn't just come off a bruising encounter from Sydney, Brisbane wouldn't have got anywhere near us. I expect Richmond to flog them next week.

Let's put it this way - in the first two rounds we averaged 8.1 km/h in attack and defence. Against Brisbane, it was 7.6 km/h in attack and 7.8 km/h in defence.

Brisbane had the top four players for total distance covered - Boak was 5th with 14.1 km. We had four of the top five for distance covered at high speed.

Brisbane had four of the top five players for maximum speed - mostly their defenders - Byrne-Jones was second with 31.3 km/h.

We had three of the top five for total sprint efforts (Motlop, Barry, Boak), and four of the top five for repeat sprint efforts (Motlop, Barry, Boak, Howard).

Brisbane had two of the top five for average speed in attack (of which our three were Motlop, Powell-Pepper and Barry), but only one in the top five for average speed in defence (of which we had Byrne-Jones, Ebert, Powell-Pepper and Rockliff).

What does this tell us?

It tells us that we were being more conservative with our running, which is indicative of actually playing Brisbane and not anyone good. We slacked off just a little bit trying to conserve energy and they came out and almost punished us.

It has zero to do with the ruck contest, and everything to do with our lack of respect for an opponent that saw they had an opportunity to take advantage of a team that wasn't prepared to run hard in the heat.

It has zero to do with the ruck contest, and everything to do with our lack of respect for an opponent that saw they had an opportunity to take advantage of a team that wasn't prepared to run hard in the heat.

In Saturday's Crowvertiser, Ken made the point to the team about this exact thing and they were not going to take them lightly.

Yep I understand all that. Next week will be the big test, which at this point I see a Bomber win unfortunately.

I rate English very highly and a better prospect than Hayes (as a ruckman) and Billy, but watching this afternoons game he showed that a skinny and underdeveloped young prospect can acquit himself very well up against Bellchambers and then capitalise against the makeshift Stewart.

We just lose too much having to deploy the Hoff as the lead ruckman. Martin is a gun, but he utterly destroyed us yesterday to an extent he rarely reaches and gave their midfield an armchair ride.

I'm gonna assume you don't remember them tearing us a new one in 2016.

Beat me to it ... It was my first game of the year live at AO in 2016 .... and their rucks pantsed us!!

Their rucks pantsed us that night by running a constant rotation of two of Smith/Stanley/Blicavs at every stoppage with one of them going third man up against Lobbe who was our only ruckman. That strategy obviously won’t work now with the new ruck rules.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back