News Joel Garner signs for Richmond VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Garner was surprised by the pace of the game a couple of time in contested situations which will come quickly because his reading of the play when he’s behind the ball already looks like a 100 gamer. Needs to play every game for the rest of the year.

Last edited:
I thought he was great with a couple of iffy but not bad moments.

His size is a real asset, his kicking is great, his marking is fantastic. I reckon he’ll play for the rest of the season, even if Broadbent and Watts both make it back into the side.

Really liked how he wasn't too opposition conscious and backed himself to read the ball coming in when he was one on one, and as a result mopped up a few of the sloppy kicks coming i50 when they caught us out the back (which might otherwise have been dangerous groundballs for their smalls to feed on).

Since I'm his buddy I might as well bump his thread at least once before the season is over.

Hope to see him playing next year at either AFL or SANFL level for us.
1602661589394.png

Since I'm his buddy I might as well bump his thread at least once before the season is over.

Hope to see him playing next year at either AFL or SANFL level for us.
View attachment 985074

s**t bump :)

I was worried he had announced he wanted a transfer.

Every time I have seen Joel Garner play at AFL level he has impressed me. He is composed, aggressive, accountable and skilled by foot. Yet over the past 18 months he has been pushed down the pecking order behind Bonner and Bergman. What are people's thoughts? Is he not a great trainer? Is his lack of speed the central factor in not getting opportunities?

Every time I have seen Joel Garner play at AFL level he has impressed me. He is composed, aggressive, accountable and skilled by foot. Yet over the past 18 months he has been pushed down the pecking order behind Bonner and Bergman. What are people's thoughts? Is he not a great trainer? Is his lack of speed the central factor in not getting opportunities?
Needs to improve his defending. Keeps losing his man in the SANFL trials. With the depth we have, I would not be surprised if another club came in for him.

Unfortunately for Joel he is playing behind some of the best half backs around, the addition of Bergman to our list is like a nail in the coffin too.

If we have a couple of injuries he may get some games but he would need to find something amazing to push ahead of others in the side at this stage IMO.

I think we should keep him on the list, as I still rate him but if it’s AFL game time and a first 22 spot he is after he should be considering his options with other clubs for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of years ago I was worried that he'd be another one of ours that Clarko would pinch (I think Joel's brother was a NGA candidate of Hawthorn's at the time), but now that might be a good thing, both for Joel's opportunities and for us maybe getting a moderately useful pick for him. Pity how it looks like turning out, I had real hopes for him as a future leadership type player when we drafted him.

Very similar player to Jones in my opinion, he needs a breakout game.
Should be tried as an inside mid if he now has the tank.

Just forked out for the SANFL pass, will be watching him closely on Thursday night vs Nord.

Great mark, holds position well, good kick, adds a bit of toughness.
I've always had a lot of time for Joel.
Courageous in the air, neat kick, doesn't fumble.

But we have too many small backs now who have gone past him, so sadly I think his opportunity may be gone.

Guess he could be thinking that an end of season trade may be a worthwhile career change?

We could pick up an extra late 2nd/early 3rd for him, and he could hopefully find a niche with a club that is looking for that type of player. Lack of real kicking penetration and foot speed are his only really poor attributes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back