News Boyd Woodcock signs for Southport VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

A
He could've legitimately had that one taken off of him too, we were lucky to get away with front on contact by Charlie on Liam Baker a second before. Imagine if the poor bugger had that happen to him twice!
Actually, in every free given in that scenario, Liam Baker was making the front on contact.

He could've legitimately had that one taken off of him too, we were lucky to get away with front on contact by Charlie on Liam Baker a second before. Imagine if the poor bugger had that happen to him twice!

There was only front on contact because Grimes shoved Dixon in the back. Which went unnoticed by the umpires ... again.

Saw a lotta that from them. The dark art of football's ugly side. Can't wait to meet them again and single out Riewoldt for special attention.

A relative of ours worked at the RFC for 4yrs and I asked her who was the best and worst on their list as people. Reece Conca was a really nice guy but the worst

and by a long way Jack Riewoldt.

They did it at both ends of the ground.

Richmond need linesmen sitting on the 50m arc.

Saw a lotta that from them. The dark art of football's ugly side. Can't wait to meet them again and single out Riewoldt for special attention.

A relative of ours worked at the RFC for 4yrs and I asked her who was the best and worst on their list as people. Reece Conca was a really nice guy but the worst

and by a long way Jack Riewoldt.

Not surprised. Everything about him sceams massive twat.

He has surprised the hell out of me. I preferred Cox to him, but he has excelled!

One of the reasons was that I saw him as having ability, but being a bit quiet, a bit bland, a bit like Andrew Moore and Sam Gray. But he has proved me wrong, he has better skills, great vision, and I can see his personality growing incrementally.

He has what it takes to be a regular 22 AFL player!

Can't believe people haven't mentioned this was a career best game for the Woodchuck ;)

He has surprised the hell out of me. I preferred Cox to him, but he has excelled!

One of the reasons was that I saw him as having ability, but being a bit quiet, a bit bland, a bit like Andrew Moore and Sam Gray. But he has proved me wrong, he has better skills, great vision, and I can see his personality growing incrementally.

He has what it takes to be a regular 22 AFL player!
Cox and Woodcock are different types of players. Cox did have a lot more better performances at SANFL level, but Woodcock has more AFL standard traits.

Cox and Woodcock are different types of players. Cox did have a lot more better performances at SANFL level, but Woodcock has more AFL standard traits.
He floated under my radar, then again the SANFL is a baptism of fire for teenage afl draftees, up against ageing jealous campaigners, serial snipers

and 'eff' all protection from umpires. Some of the howlers we saw v Richmond are so de rigueur at Alberton they'd barely raise a grumble.

He floated under my radar, then again the SANFL is a baptism of fire for teenage afl draftees, up against ageing jealous campaigners, serial snipers

and 'eff' all protection from umpires. Some of the howlers we saw v Richmond are so de rigueur at Alberton they'd barely raise a grumble.

I remember in a trial vs North Adelaide, Jake Johansen in his draft year got thrown into the fence and he broke his hand. Oppo got away with the snipe.

I remember in a trial vs North Adelaide, Jake Johansen in his draft year got thrown into the fence and he broke his hand. Oppo got away with the snipe.
Aiden Johnson KO'ed with a right cross 10meters from the on-looking ump. Seriously mate we shouldn't dwell on these things it aint good for us. :(

Anyway back to Boyd, there's a star quality about him that is really exciting and even more so when you don't see it coming. Incidentally how good was Eddie's

commentary in the lead-up to Boyd's second first career goal :D and as for the crowd noise............. spine tingling goosebumps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didnt say they were the same type of players! I merely said I preferred Cox to him. I actually like Cox's attitude. He shows grit, gets angry, seemed to me to have more speccy traits.

Woodcock on the otherhand was just coasting, and the coaches agreed. He was excluded from the squad that went to the hub as he wasnt putting in that extra mile. As the coaches have said, his application to his game since then has been next level. All his good qualities seem to have magnified from my perspective, and his weaknesses have diminished. Really impressive.

Is it still front on contact if it isn't a marking contest cause the ball was touched

There was only front on contact because Grimes shoved Dixon in the back. Which went unnoticed by the umpires ... again.

Maybe the Club should make a video compilation of all the pushes in the back that went unpunished and were potentially dangerous from that match, and put it on the website. Then see if anyone from the AFL media branch picks up on it.

Better still, send it to Fox Footy channel. Robbo would love to comment on that. Bring it to people's attention, and don't let those Tigger p****s get away with it any longer.

What's not to like about that clip. One of the reasons I was cold on getting Orazio was that blokes like Boyd would be pushed back in the queue.

Gotta trust the club I s'pose. I like Boyd as a player reckon we've got a good one here. Especially his decision making...a natural smart footballer.

His diving has ******* pissed me off. He's talented, he is a great field kick too, but the diving is currently what I know him for.

Last edited:
His diving has ******* pissed me off. He's talented, he is a great field kick too, but the diving is currently what I know him for.
I don't like it either it's cringeworthy, just hoping he grows out of it or is told in no uncertain terms it's counterproductive and not the Port way.

Shorter players tend to use a ducking of the head as an evasive tactic when tackled. I personally dont think he is any worse than Robbie Gray in this regard, who has a rep with the umpires, and who now dont give him any favours because of it.

I agree, he wants to stop it now though, rather that wear the label for the rest of his career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back