Picola & District NW 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
so on admin and in our league in particular I see the issue being around the stress of years when you lose players to moving away or all other issues smaller clubs face. Knowing I'd have to be putting together a case to front up to AFLGM for basically my clubs survival to try and get more points on top of trying to re riot more players is not a responsibility volunteers need added on to all the other responsibilities.

IMO going to AFLGM should be installed as last option to go to for allowances.
In set up aflgm could have input into upper limits of what leagues can allow their clubs to go to say 50 (just example).

Then leagues board decide their own allocations within those parameters. Leagues allowed to set own allowances for location and population, if finish bottom get extra points. Not sure if that would need approval from AFLGM but I reckon if within upper limits they shouldn't really have a say.

I do feel given most of our clubs are small and remote the league should be allocated a higher upper threshold. So put 50 to 55.

Perhaps also put in an exceptional circumstances clause (clear guidelines set as to what's exceptional) where leagues can consider allowing a club to exceed the 50 but must be voted on by clubs in that league. Could be limit of say 55 anything after that and they go to AFLGM.
That's just my thoughts and really just a discussion starting point.

Last edited:
So when will clubs actually know what is going on? One minute PDNFL points/salary cap then GM points/salary cap now nothing, or will it be something else tomorrow, next week? Very frustrating when trying to recruit I would think.

So when will clubs actually know what is going on? One minute PDNFL points/salary cap then GM points/salary cap now nothing, or will it be something else tomorrow, next week? Very frustrating when trying to recruit I would think.

Yeah it's frustrating but absolutely necessary to not give into AFLGM on this.

just go out and recruit.

I will add AFLGM applications for allowances for points above base close on 30 November so if you were a club needing points above base and id think most of ours would even if base 42 Then once again it's these great little community clubs that AFLGM are putting through a difficult time.

When will they know if they get more points? They don't even give a date. Beginning December end of December.
Then there is a second round of applications for points in February.

while thing is frustrating for small community clubs I hear you on that. But the league is your friend on this.

Don't believe the PDFNL have ever stated points and salary cap. Think once they got feedback from clubs they have been very consistant that they wouldnt be adopting the salary cap and tge conditions that they would be adopting the points system which is consistant with other areas.
The fact AFL GM then outlinned criteria probably meant it wasn't possible.
Would appear the league was still willing to join points system , just not under the criteria set by AFL GM and wasnt aware of the pending release from AFL GM.

Last edited:
What a load of crap. The points system will help save country football. What's wrong with increasing retention, focussing on junior development and ensuring the rich don't just buy a premiership. Country club committees need this system in its entirety, including the salary cap. AFL G/M are an under utilised resource that the board need to find a way to work with instead of finding a way to work against. Yes we need our independence but doing everything possible to disagree with a body is not productive and to be honest dam right childish.
Hey locky43 apparently you posted yesterday that Picola has 6 new faces turning up to the seasons first training , which now appears to have dissapeared .
Just wondering how that fits in with your comments above .
'What's wrong with increasing retention, focussing on junior development '
Got no issue at all with clubs recruiting players however bit hypocritical to take the moral high ground and then advertise the complete opposite with your next post.
locky43 I'd also like you to give some insight into your claim of clubs buying premierships ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so let me get this straight Martin Gleeson takes pot shots at our league for not responding on the salary cap policy months ago. We get told we can't be in the points system as must also be in salary cap.

it is now blatantly obvious the policy was not even completed when we were asked to comment and going by this story it is now very very different to what had previously been said.

Does this crap ever end??

Last edited:
Word is Picola have recruited well. Plenty of talls though can they all fit in? Rhys Woodland, Trav Morgan, Nathan Walsh, plus electric smalls Blake Jorgenson & Dan Atkinson. Locky43 might be able to shed some light?

Regressing a little, it would appear the info I received and shared about the PFL and points system proved correct.
I heard this week from within the AFL that the picola and the Murray League were best financial performed local leagues this year and by a fair margin.
Credit should go to both leagues and it doesn't really surprise me .
I went to both grand finals and along with the Murray were by far the biggest and happiest crowds I've seen in the area for a long time. Having not been to a Picola league game for a little , I was blown away by the overall improvement. Crowd sizes , standard of the games , umpiring and just little things like the presentations , half time sprint , were great. You could see the crowd was engaged and we're notably having a ball , it was impossible not to be impressed. Both felt like a Murray grand final.
To be honest don't think I have ever seen such an improvement in a football league in such little time.
Along with the past Murray league grand finals probably the best days I have spent at the footy in years.
I notice since then, the league manager and president have gone, which would appear a real shame as both seem to be really good fit and doing a good job for your league.
I heard this week a couple of sponsors or ones who were looking to sponsor, have jumped off.
It's not ideal but can happen as people within organisations build relationships with specific people .
Have met the new president , seems a good fella although a little green, as is expected.
Hope everyone sticks by him and things keep going in the same direction.

Regressing a little, it would appear the info I received and shared about the PFL and points system proved correct.
I heard this week from within the AFL that the picola and the Murray League were best financial performed local leagues this year and by a fair margin.
I went to both grand finals and along with the Murray were by far the biggest and happiest crowds I've seen in the area for a long time. Having not been to a Picola league game for a little , I was blown away by the overall improvement. Crowd sizes , standard of the games , umpiring and just little things like the presentations , half time sprint , were great. You could see the crowd was engaged and we're notably having a ball , it was impossible not to be impressed. Both felt like a Murray grand final.
To be honest don't think I have ever seen such an improvement in a football league in such little time.
Along with the past Murray league grand finals probably the best days I have spent at the footy in years.
I notice since then, the league manager and president have gone, which would appear a real shame as both seem to be really good fit and doing a good job for your league.
I heard this week a couple of sponsors or ones who were looking to sponsor, have jumped off.
It's not ideal but can happen as people within organisations build relationships with specific people .
Have met the new president , seems a good fella although a little green, as is expected.
Things can change in a small amount of time however would doubt there will be any decline in sponsorship and in fact would be somewhat shocked if there isn't reasonable improvement .

I hear the Middleton's are gone from Berrigan?
Ronald is playing at Shep United, haven't heard about Levi. I see Patten has gone to Toc and Massingham coaching Yarroweyah - few good outs. Has the coach brought any recruits with him?

True. Went to both. Still a huge difference in the standard. Dreaming if anyone thinks otherwise.

True. Went to both. Still a huge difference in the standard. Dreaming if anyone thinks otherwise.
Dreaming if you think there is a huge difference, which is vindicated by the recruiting undertaken by Murray league clubs out of the PDFNL, along with the success of PDFNL players if they go to MFL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back