Players Swapping Jumpers

Remove this Banner Ad

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Two greats with parallel careers doing so post-game tonight. I can see Hawkins kicking on in 2024 but I think it really signals that this is the last season for Riewoldt, and I think this is a nice touch.

In a year or two I’d like to see Dusty and Dangerfield do the same.

Who else should do it this season?

Fyfe feels like a better fit for Dangerfield.

Dustin Martin could ask Franklin, can't think of anybody else who should have the gumption.

Despite a decent gap in age, Pendlebury and Bontempelli makes sense to me.

Goldstein and Gawn wouldn't be too bad either, especially since they're fixtured to meet again late in the year at Bellerive, where they previously had one of the best ruck duels everrrr. Also, keeping it to the same clubs but different comps: Paxman and Kearney is a must swap!

brad crouch and matt crouch (sub)

Caleb Daniel and Mason Cox

Never understood the point of this.

I doubt Hawkins and Riewoldt are going to treasure that jumper so much that they hang it on display at their home to look at the rest of their life.

Most likely ends up in a box somewhere from both players or gets passed onto someone else more likely IMO.

Has nice optics but apart from that, seems a pretty meaningless gesture.

This isn’t just my view as it’s these two, regardless of players it’s a pointless exchange.

I doubt Hawkins and Riewoldt are going to treasure that jumper so much that they hang it on display at their home to look at the rest of their life.

Most likely ends up in a box somewhere from both players or gets passed onto someone else more likely IMO.

This isn’t just my view as it’s these two, regardless of players it’s a pointless exchange.
I see it differently. I can imagine both have a nice pool room at home, both get them framed and both hang on the wall along with other memorabilia. Sure it doesn't take pride of place but if Jack had a trinity of Hawkins, Kennedy and Buddy jumpers on display (over 3300 goals between the four of them in the same era) it'd be a great feature.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t think it is meant to be anything more than a gesture

I have a quite a few signed jumpers at home sitting in a box that I’ve collected over the years but they still have sentimental value to me and I’ve never even played afl level footy

Players are human as well and probably enjoy having similar keep sakes like us fans especially if they admire the person they got it off

Just because they might sit in a box doesn’t mean they don’t hold significant sentimental value

Still remember when Kirk and Black done this. I always hated us playing the swans as Kirk would always seem to do a number on Blacky. Was an awesome spectacle.

James Sicily and Tom Lynch

Mate, they would be going straight to the pool room.

Don’t think it is meant to be anything more than a gesture

I have a quite a few signed jumpers at home sitting in a box that I’ve collected over the years but they still have sentimental value to me and I’ve never even played afl level footy

Players are human as well and probably enjoy having similar keep sakes like us fans especially if they admire the person they got it off

Just because they might sit in a box doesn’t mean they don’t hold significant sentimental value
All I could think of when watching them sign them was whether they were going to wash it and potentially get rid of the signature or leave it and have a stinking, sweaty match worn guernsey.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back