Opinion Politics (warning, may contain political views you disagree with)

Remove this Banner Ad

I was referring to the source of the problem, not the solution. There is a gap in many life outcomes for Aboriginal people. There was also a history (which no longer exists) of institutionalized racism against Aboriginal people. The question is in 2024 how much is the gap a legacy of things that were done 200, 100 or even 50 years ago? If you believe some people - all of it. I personally don't believe it is all of it, but I am sure it is some of it.

Yes I agree that some of the gap is due to what has happened historically. I do not think not think it is the major cause of it, but do think it contributes.

Happy to share exactly what my family does and what solutions we believe work.

My wife and I currently have 3 Aboriginal children in our care. Our Foster daughter is now nearly 3 and has been with us since she was 6 weeks old. A care by secretary order has been put in place which means she will be with us until she is 18 from a legal perspective and part of our family forever. Her younger brother and sister have joined us officially in recent months because we didn’t want the family separated. I know the pain and hurt of family separation as much as anyone. When they turn 2 it is anticipated the same care by secretary order will be put in place and they will remain with us forever. We have previously fostered over 100 Aboriginal kids for emergency care.
On top of this we have our own 4 Aboriginal boys and several grandkids and each year we have up to 5 Aboriginal students from remote communities live with us so they can attend school in Melbourne. It allows us to keep them with connection to culture, language and country. Studying with other familiar members together and with Aboriginal people is a far better option than boarding school. We have now had close to 200 Aboriginal children live with us. We support them in empowering themselves to empower their communities when they return home. Most return home and take an active role on their community boards. On top of this we volunteer our time in remote communities working on empowerment and engagement. Our main focus is supporting Aboriginals in being empowered to take control of what is happening in communities. We also raise and donate hundreds of thousands of dollars each year with a focus of getting sports teams on the field for engagement for Aboriginal people in remote communities. All work in the communities is based on the following principles. In basic terms

Expertise - Listen to the experts. The Elders of each community. Each community has different needs.

Engagement- Set up football teams, netball teams etc that are sustainable and resourced and have children engaged. The kids in the communities must be engaged.

Environment- Always maintain the connection to country especially when away from community. Aboriginal leaders need to work with kids when they are away from home.

Education- Learn to walk in both worlds.

Empowerment- Have Aboriginal leaders working with the teenagers of the community to empower these kids to be responsible for their own decisions, be on their own board of managements. Be empowered to teach others. Communities must become self-reliant.

Hey SOTY - I love this and will say what I have said previously, we need more of it and more people like you and your wife. We may disagree on what to do and the cause and definitely do on racism against whites. But, we do agree on doing what we can to help and what that can look like.

I would be all for more of what you do instead of the massive government spending activities. Long may you keep the energy and ability to do your work. As I said, we may strongly disagree on some items, but, I will cheer you on for what you are doing.

I should have looked at Snuff's post - basically what he said.

Whilst I profoundly disagree with your obsession with the past and distaste for all things white, I fully support your grass roots efforts to improve the lives of Aboriginals, particularly in the area of teaching personal responsibility and the longer goal of communities becoming self reliant.

I am hearing that some communities are driving out good young Aboriginal leaders that can no longer undertake a similar process to you due to crime and lack of accepted senior leadership. Derby in WA is one such community. A very difficult cycle to break.

So, one of the words missing in your spiel is consequences for antisocial behavior eg drunken abusive behavior, crime, truancy etc etc.

If there are very little consequences for this behavior then your efforts and others' will be severely undermined. If basic rule of law is not enforced then forget about progress. You need a degree of order to progress.

I will make something clear I do not have a distain for 'all things white'. My father who I never met is 'white', my wife is 'white', my foster parents who raised me are 'white'. I don't even hate those that took me. I would actually like to sit down and talk to them. Perhaps educate them. I do hate the white policy that caused the Stolen Generation though.

Hey SOTY - I love this and will say what I have said previously, we need more of it and more people like you and your wife. We may disagree on what to do and the cause and definitely do on racism against whites. But, we do agree on doing what we can to help and what that can look like.

I would be all for more of what you do instead of the massive government spending activities. Long may you keep the energy and ability to do your work. As I said, we may strongly disagree on some items, but, I will cheer you on for what you are doing.

I should have looked at Snuff's post - basically what he said.

Most appreciated. Thanks for the kind words.

I will make something clear I do not have a distain for 'all things white'. My father who I never met is 'white', my wife is 'white', my foster parents who raised me are 'white'. I don't even hate those that took me. I would actually like to sit down and talk to them. Perhaps educate them. I do hate the white policy that caused the Stolen Generation though.
Fair enough.

TBH I do struggle with your apparent support of anti white racism.

I want nothing more than the plight of Aboriginals to improve and for all of us to move forward together as Australians.

I seen my Aboriginal best mate from school days descend into Alcoholism in his twenties. He was from a great family. An all too familiar story for Aboriginals when they leave school and fall in with the wrong crowd.

I met full blood Aboriginals on our station when I was very young. I saw where they lived, throwing spears etc. I was incredibly sad when they left the area, still am. All that local knowledge, language, culture gone.

Somehow the gap needs to be bridged between people like you and I, but in your case you seem to have this animosity towards the likes of me and white people in general.

Ideally a lot more listening without judgement and good faith communication is what is needed.

This is exactly why the funding to UNRWA shouldn't have been restored. This is what is taught in Palestinian schools, there are plenty of videos on line that show exactly this.

And also it is not compatible with Australia.

Funniest was a few years back when I posted that we do really need more public housing, just don't build any more of it near me.. And I got bombed with replies like their tenants are no worse than average! I would be happy if they built one next door to me!

Again whilst yes we do need more of it for the people struggling at the bottom, that's either ignorance, pure delusion or just flat out lying.

I can go further and suggest that bulk use of puberty blockers is going to produce a lot of prepubescent adults but the main thrust of the point is that identity based on sex can't be explained to children without corruption of their innocence.

They understand that Bill loves Steve but they don't understand the difference between platonic and romantic unless you start explaining sex.

Funniest was a few years back when I posted that we do really need more public housing, just don't build any more of it near me.. And I got bombed with replies like their tenants are no worse than average! I would be happy if they built one next door to me!

Again whilst yes we do need more of it for the people struggling at the bottom, that's either ignorance, pure delusion or just flat out lying.

I give those people enough credit to assume they know if they are to discuss the much higher incidents of property damage, such that the government housing buildings use concrete walls over gyprock, then there is probably a link between that proclivity and why they are in financial trouble.

Much of that ideology is based on the idea that any human anywhere is the same as others but for the opportunity they had.

Just try and have a discussion, no judgements or examples made, about whether athletic ability is genetic and why intelligence is different?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I give those people enough credit to assume they know if they are to discuss the much higher incidents of property damage, such that the government housing buildings use concrete walls over gyprock, then there is probably a link between that proclivity and why they are in financial trouble.
The place 3 doors down from me gets the front window smashed every couple of months, also when the front door is open you can see holes kicked in the interior walls. Tradesmen then come in and fix it, until it happens again a couple of months later, rinse and repeat. Like what does someone have to do to actual get kicked out from one lol.

Like anything though the majority of people in public housing are generally fine at least ok but a small % just ruin it for everyone else.

Going by the logic from a few there, all the anti trans rallies are associated with Nazi's. The proof is a newspaper article with charges laid against a nazi who was at one of the rallies.

They then say there is no correlation between LGBTQ and peadophile's. Using that logic if I share articles of a gay man who has been arrested for said crimes, would that be enough for them to say there is a link?

This is a sickening story - death penalty stuff.

They can't be serious can they? It is well known enough that it affects property values. The dishonesty is a veneer of kindness that doesn't help the people who most need it.

The was no link so just merely alleged but someone reckoned there was once a post that opinioned if a kid wants to transition and the kid's parents don't agree and arent on board with it they should be just taken away from them.
It’s actually against the law in Victoria for parents to oppose or advise their children against it. It’s outrageous. No teenager (or younger) can possibly understand that the ramifications of interfering pharmaceutically with their natural development can and probably will cause lifelong problems such as infertility and sexual dysfunction. And furthermore it does not solve their underlying mental health problems, it doesn’t suddenly make life rosy.

I expect so. I do remember suggesting that introducing sexual themes to children well before puberty was a grooming method and will increase sexual behaviours in children.
From a quick search these are all posts from by ole mate that wanted to take your Indigenous children away.

If I were a parent I'd like to think I'd sit down and watch some pr0n with my kids which would be excruciating for all involved but it would be a chance to explain that what they see here is not what their experience is likely to be. I'd argue that it would be almost impossible in this day and age to stop your kids seeing pr0n, best to tackle it head on to give them realistic expectations.
If I was a parent I'd like to think I'd sit down with my kids and watch pr0n with to explain why just like all movies these people are actors and that their own experiences are unlikely to resemble what they see on screen. That said I probably would have smoked a spliff at lunch and put it off until tomorrow.
You know how the internet works right? If I was a parent of teenaged kids I would be watching pr0n with them to explain that that is fantasy and not real life no matter who excruciating it would be for all concerned because they'll see it regardless and better you are able to paint context for them.
pr0n is not real life and like it or not kids have access to it in a way that was never there in pre internet days. Personally I think you'd be better off watching some with them, as excruciating as it would be for all concerned and try explain that what they see on the screen is most likely to be not what they experience. You're welcome to make it as mucky as you like and living rent free in your head as I am I'm sure you'd like to imply that there's something here that there isn't.
the-simpsons-homer-simpson.gif

From a quick search these are all posts from by ole mate that wanted to take your Indigenous children away.

View attachment 1940526

I note that when I run into these people they are not actually parents and very passionate about young children being exposed to sexualised material. Utilising a 'they will see it anyway' reasoning.

Where has this come from? I spent a week there, a couple of decades ago. It was a beautiful place, very welcoming and lots to enjoy. Today, I can’t see it being a tourist destination at all. Is this the result of activism?

Where has this come from? I spent a week there, a couple of decades ago. It was a beautiful place, very welcoming and lots to enjoy. Today, I can’t see it being a tourist destination at all. Is this the result of activism?
I dunno, haven't even set foot in NT myself.

My cousin has taught in Alice for years, think she is still there but I don't really keep in contact with her these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back